Worth the wait

Hi guys ive a few quick questions that i would like your feedback on please,

I have been in contact with my local dealer and GMK in relation to a Tikka Super Varmint in .204 or 1-8 twist .223. The rifles use will be predominately targets and some varminting crows foxes etc. However both these models in the supervarmint are a 6 month waiting time :( . Im unsure what to do as i dont think i can afford a full custom job. Ive been looking around for suitable donor actions but havent come across anything suitable for a rebarrel should I just keep searching or go for the supervarmint any help is much appreciated.

all the best john

Hi guys ive a few quick questions that i would like your feedback on please,

I have been in contact with my local dealer and GMK in relation to a Tikka Super Varmint in .204 or 1-8 twist .223. The rifles use will be predominately targets and some varminting crows foxes etc. However both these models in the supervarmint are a 6 month waiting time :( . Im unsure what to do as i dont think i can afford a full custom job. Ive been looking around for suitable donor actions but havent come across anything suitable for a rebarrel should I just keep searching or go for the supervarmint any help is much appreciated.

all the best john

Hi John,

Have a look in the For Sale section, Craigyboy has a Cooper in Tac20 for sale, A great rifle at an excellent price and without the 6 month wait,

Regards,

Nick.

I'd ideally like the .204 ruger as i could get factory ammo for it as well as reloading but i have sent him a message anyway the sako is very nice its just that it has the 20" barrel and is 400 pounds dearer :)

I'd ideally like the .204 ruger as i could get factory ammo for it as well as reloading but i have sent him a message anyway the sako is very nice its just that it has the 20" barrel and is 400 pounds dearer :)

You will lose a lot of velocity with a 20in barrel in the 204.

The most accurate factory rifles in 204 that I have seen were the ruger m77 mk2 varmint model.

The howa varmint barrel model is also good.

I wouldn,t have a .204 with a 19" or 20" barrel given. The 20 tac will run at these lengths, the 204 needs more.

Dave.

Why does the 20 tac work better than the 204 with a short barrel ?

What barrel length would you recommend when building a 204 ?

Dave.

Why does the 20 tac work better than the 204 with a short barrel ?

What barrel length would you recommend when building a 204 ?

when I ordered my sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 7 week waiting list and it arrived bang on time, try going to a sako stockists and ask them to ring GMK it might help

The 20 tac runs slightly less powder than the 204, and has a more efficient case design.

the 204 will run most efficiently from a 26" ish tube. Its overbored.

has anyone any experience with the tikka and sako barrels and how well they stabilise ive heard they stabilise the 39 smk's well to 400 yards but wont stabilise the 40 vmax. Am I correct in thinking the barrels are the same in the tikkas and sako?

Archived