Tikka T3

Hi all, being new to the world of varmint shooting i thought i would ask for an opinion on a Tikka i have been offered. A T3 Varmint in .308, 7 months old with less than 300 rounds fired along with 3 magazines for £675.

Firstly whats the collective opinion on the rifle and secondly is this a good price ?

Thanks

Although built to a corporate budget, the T3 is a good base to build on and at that price with 3 mags sounds reasonable.

Ive built several very accurate guns on T3 actions, ,,,

From an accuracy perspective, I'm sure as a relatively new shooter it'd have all the accuracy you'd need for a while.

My only comment would be "Do you need a .308 as a varmint gun?"

Chris-NZ

From an accuracy perspective, I'm sure as a relatively new shooter it'd have all the accuracy you'd need for a while.

My only comment would be "Do you need a .308 as a varmint gun?"

Chris-NZ

My thoughts too.......308 a tad over kill for a varmint gun, and is quite heavy on the recoil.

Tony.

I've just traded up from a T3 in 243 to 308 upon advice from a Cumbrian professional stalker - for those larger deer species. I've found recoil is hardly an issue and accuracy out of the box is superb. An A-Tec moderator at 7 oz replaced the all too heavy Predator at 2 lbs and a Swarovski Z6i the Leupold Mk IV with more forgiving eye relief. Cheers, K

Thanks for the comments all. In line with it being a .308. This is a cartridge i am well versed in shooting over the last 20 odd years, just a personal thing but prefer this to another calibre.

I've just traded up from a T3 in 243 to 308 upon advice from a Cumbrian professional stalker - for those larger deer species. I've found recoil is hardly an issue and accuracy out of the box is superb. An A-Tec moderator at 7 oz replaced the all too heavy Predator at 2 lbs and a Swarovski Z6i the Leupold Mk IV with more forgiving eye relief. Cheers, K

You won't go wrong with the T3 and if you want to improve the rifle

there are plenty aftermarket bits available.308 might be a bit hefty

for some vermin...but fun to shoot. I also enjoy long range rabbits and

the odd fox with my 308.

edi

Edi-

my brother has asked me to organise having a mod fitted to his SS T3 7-08 and in fact I've decided my identical one needs the same treatment.

They're going to be done in the same fashion as the Bush Pig (project gun) that NZ Hunter did. The barrel is shortened down to approx 16.5" and a special (NZ) Hardy can is fitted. These have about 4" fwd of the muzzle and when fitted, just clear the std forend. The 16.5" sounds rather extreme -but- using H335 and 120 TTSXs, the combo produces a solid 3000fps! That is still a serious deer killer.

The weight of barrel chopped off is most of the can weight and the overall length fitted is hardly any different to the std rifle so it's a very handy piece of kit. Apparently clients who have used it on guided hunts really like it, in fact it's used on 80+% of deer they shoot guiding. They've sold a lot from that.

Chris-NZ

Edi-

my brother has asked me to organise having a mod fitted to his SS T3 7-08 and in fact I've decided my identical one needs the same treatment.

They're going to be done in the same fashion as the Bush Pig (project gun) that NZ Hunter did. The barrel is shortened down to approx 16.5" and a special (NZ) Hardy can is fitted. These have about 4" fwd of the muzzle and when fitted, just clear the std forend. The 16.5" sounds rather extreme -but- using H335 and 120 TTSXs, the combo produces a solid 3000fps! That is still a serious deer killer.

The weight of barrel chopped off is most of the can weight and the overall length fitted is hardly any different to the std rifle so it's a very handy piece of kit. Apparently clients who have used it on guided hunts really like it, in fact it's used on 80+% of deer they shoot guiding. They've sold a lot from that.

Chris-NZ

16.5" barrel sounds great. Any chance of a link to the article?

I can safely say the T3 has a good following by UKV members. Many after market parts are now available.

ATB

Dave

Dave-

it's in the latest issue:

http://www.nzhunter.co.nz/magazines/issue-26-dec-jan-2012

That's it mentioned on the cover "PYBR" ( Pimp your bush rifle ) -has become affectionately known as the Bush Pig. They have brother ones in .308 and 7-08. Lot of compact firepower.

You can see he also reviews the new EL RF binos. Most impressed and believe me, he's a fussy guy that knows optics.

That pic of p17 of the guy holding the trout is of Pat, one of my patients, who's a farm manager. Through him, I now have access to five contiguous farms including his one for varmint shooting. Def need a quad to get round them.

Chris-NZ

16.5" barrel sounds great. Any chance of a link to the article?

I can safely say the T3 has a good following by UKV members. Many after market parts are now available.

ATB

Dave

I also have that article flutin around somewhere, I think they went up to 51gr h335 with 130gr Barnes in a 308 which

produced well over 3000fps. They even had to chop the stock off somewhat to be able to fit the mod.

h335 seems magic with some small cases.

Chris, I'd love to try it with a 308 or 7-08 but I think that length is below our legal limit.

edi

Thanks for the link Chris, I will have a browse.

Oh for NZ, I intend to visit in the near future. Have a friend who moved out to the North Island and his stories are enough to get me to move out. If only they were recruiting like they were in the UK a few years back :mad:

Edi,

Thanks for the advice re my stock it appears to have worked :D

If your laws are the same as over here 12" barrel's are the legal limit. I have a .243 with 14.5" for fun....e

ATB

Dave

• 3 months later...

Edi-

Chris-NZ

A bit of thread necro I know, however, I dont suppose you could post or PM me some load data for this rifle could you Chris. Im thinking of doing exactly the same at the moment.

Cheers Graham.

Archived