Chip and pin payment machines

andybrock

Nothing to do with shooting I know but do any of the self employed, sole traders etc amongst use mobile chip and pin machines to take payment for services / goods etc and are they reliable, your views much appreciated.

Andy

Nothing to do with shooting I know but do any of the self employed, sole traders etc amongst use mobile chip and pin machines to take payment for services / goods etc and are they reliable, your views much appreciated.

Andy

IM self employed builder and its chq or cash-we prefer cash ;) ;) thank you.

i looked into taking payments by credit cards but too much hassle for my liking.

I have one coming from my bank, Natwest.

£19+vat a month.

Battery operated and takes money anywhere there is mobile signal.

You can get cheaper but on some machines they payment can take upto 28 days from leaving customers account till getting into yours!!!

Natwest one ( Streamline) takes max 2.5 hours.

People sometimes like and have to pay with cards and makes sense as cheques are one day going to be thing of the past.

We had one and we factored in the "running costs" into the overhead for the business and it was a great success. Money instantly and everyone or virtually everyone has a credit card. Really helped the old cash flow.

I'm trying to get away from the old serario....... you do a job, write out invoice, ask for payment only to be told "sorry haven't got enough cash with me, can't find my cheque book can you call back next week and I'll have the cash"

it's the one part of being selfemployed I hate.......chasing payments, and I seem to be spending more and more time doing it. :angry:

I only take cash/cheques, but have been thinking about one for a while. I understood as well as the rental per month, there was also a percentage fee of each transaction charged ?

I only take cash/cheques, but have been thinking about one for a while. I understood as well as the rental per month, there was also a percentage fee of each transaction charged ?

Yes, you are correct Dave there does appear to be a percentage charge depending on what card is used, credit card's seem to attract a percentage of around 1 > 1.5% while debit cards appear to be less.

From what others have told me a "static" business like yours (one where the terminal stays in one place like a shop)you are better going to wherever you bank and seeing what they offer (not to sure why that is, I think maybe the more reliable ones operate via broadband connection straight to the bank)

For someone like me where I have make mobile transactions from many different locations I would need a terminal that operates from a dual sim cards to ensure I can always get a signal no matter where I am........yeah I can see that working :rolleyes:

Andy

For static businesses, then why not tell customers to either transfer money into your account before they come over to collect goods and you can verify receipt. Bank of Scotland transfer money out almost instantly and 2hrs is usually the max time before it appears in the other account, or use telephone banking. This relies on trust but lets face it, the gun industry is so small that as soon as something goes tits up it is all over the forums and net.

I also remember seeing an adaptor for the iPhone that allowed a credit card to be swiped through it, now that would be great but I bet it is US only!

Credit cards also offer added protections to the buyer so many folk like the "security" that is affords for large purchases.

BAX transfer is crap Mike. It can take 5 days to show. Another piss take on the banks part. The money is there, they just want 5 days interest on it.

5 Days, yeah that's piss poor. Maybe either bank thing or account thing as I have sent money to both friends and businesses and a couple of hours is the norm. Wasn't the case with RBS though.

Hi Chaps, noob here, been reading for a while, but just took the leap and registeres.

Sam, I would definitely check the info you have been given by your bank. Streamline was sold last Dec 1st to Worldpay, so technically doesn't exist anymore, and they certainly can't settle funds in 2.5 hours, they will also charge you PCI management fees, authorisation fees, and tie you into a long term lease contract for the machine with a company called Cardsave or Merchant rentals.

I would also advise anyone thinking of getting a PDQ/terminal against going to their bank. The banks know they have this captive audience and capitalise on it by charging you through nose. You are much better using another bank or an independent who will not have the aforementioned captive audience and will certainly look after you better.

Also beware of the 'hidden charges' for example authorisation charges, PCI management fees, PCI non-compliance fees, 'premium charges' for cardholder not present transactions, and minimum service charges (especially HSBC, Lloyds and Barclays.)

Hope this helps.

Floyd.

Hi Chaps, noob here, been reading for a while, but just took the leap and registeres.

Sam, I would definitely check the info you have been given by your bank. Streamline was sold last Dec 1st to Worldpay, so technically doesn't exist anymore, and they certainly can't settle funds in 2.5 hours, they will also charge you PCI management fees, authorisation fees, and tie you into a long term lease contract for the machine with a company called Cardsave or Merchant rentals.

I would also advise anyone thinking of getting a PDQ/terminal against going to their bank. The banks know they have this captive audience and capitalise on it by charging you through nose. You are much better using another bank or an independent who will not have the aforementioned captive audience and will certainly look after you better.

Also beware of the 'hidden charges' for example authorisation charges, PCI management fees, PCI non-compliance fees, 'premium charges' for cardholder not present transactions, and minimum service charges (especially HSBC, Lloyds and Barclays.)

Hope this helps.

Floyd.

Hello Floyd and welcome to the site.

I've been looking into a mobile card payment machine and as you suggest it seems like a mind boggling minefield of small print, have you any suggestions / deals that are worth looking into? like I said in my previous post I would be looking for a mobile machine for taking payments usually under £100.

Andy

Hi Andy, I do work in that industry, and have only posted to hopefully show some of the pitfalls, and hidden costs etc.

I wouldn't want to be accused of advertising, or only joining to try and sell something - which isn't the case.

I always try to keep business and pleasure separate.

If you are looking for a mobile terminal, I would suggest going with a company that will do a signal test where you work, and not just accepting whoever they have a current deal with - this will ensure you get the best possible service.

As a guide from the little info you have mentioned, depending on your industry type, you should pay no more than £20/mth(+vat) for that GPRS terminal, and no more than 1.35%/1.4% on a credit card transaction and somewhere in the region of 18p per debit card transaction. - Hope that helps.

Self employed Joiner/Carpenter dont bother pal really unless your bringing in big amouints and alot just BACS and cash or cheque for me, to be honest most of mine are BACS.

CZV

Hi Floyd,

Welcome to UKV and thank you for your input. This is the benefit of UKV, no matter what the question (within reason) someone will be able to help or point you in the right direction. I don't currently accept cards but it would be a useful facility at the shows I attend, you have given me some food for thought,

Best regards

Alan

Self employed Joiner/Carpenter dont bother pal really unless your bringing in big amouints and alot just BACS and cash or cheque for me, to be honest most of mine are BACS.

CZV

I'm a pest controller and one of the main reasons I wanted a machine was to be able to take payments over the phone prior to doing a job, especially in summer time at the height of the wasp nest season I often do the job while the customer is still at work so it would save me chasing payments in the evenings when I could be out shooting ;)

CZV

oop's double post can someone delete this one please.

I'm a pest controller and one of the main reasons I wanted a machine was to be able to take payments over the phone prior to doing a job, especially in summer time at the height of the wasp nest season I often do the job while the customer is still at work so it would save me chasing payments in the evenings when I could be out shooting ;)

Although not the answer to your chip and pin woes have you thought about using paypal, as you require the payment upfront before you visit site. If you are a sole trader there is a way you can use a personal paypal acc instead of paying the fees for a company.

I have used my personal pay pal account before for selling of handmade furniture etc on my ebay, been a few years since I have done that! I agree mate it can save time etc. But personally I could never justify it. For shows etc yes definitely worth it. My pennies worth.

Archived