Choosing between Barnard Sm action and AE MK3

RINGMAN

Hi guys

I have a dilemma and it is decision time for me.

For long time I am unable to decide between two rifles for target shooting .

The rifles are: AI AE MK 3 folding stock 24 inch barrel with 1:12 twist, and Dolphin gun custom rifle : Barnard SM Action, Jewel trigger, AICS stock, Bartlein 12 twist barrel, heavy contour, HS magazine(Dolphin gun have now new rifle based on Barnard sm action with AI magazine new aluminum modular stock).

We shoot prone position, for 100-600 meters, bipod in front and sand bag at the rear.The action that will be the best for this kind of shooting ia a repeatable one.

Our ammunition is factory load only, from I.M.I, mainly .308 win 168 grain match cartridges. Occasionally we use 175 grain. No weight limit.

I have posted this question in Sniper Hide forum but pepole their do not have a lot of experience with Barnard SM action. We donot have here gunsmith service at all.

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you

GYT

Hi Ringman i have a Barnard 07 rifle which was made in the Barnard factory with the SM ACTION calibre .260 very well made rifle and shoots very well the barnard action is world famous as is the AE i think it comes down to your own choice and preferences they will both be very accurate with right loads hope this helps you.

Closest I can get is with my Barnard P action and an AI/AE MkI. I shoot in sandy conditions and have to be very careful to make sure absolutely no sand gets near the Barnard action as I can feel it crunching when I close the bolt, this means keeping my hands as clean as possible and keeping my ammunition boxes closed to minimise contamination. The AI/AE, well I can feed it all day without a care in the world and have never had issues with it. Even when I have had to wear goggles because the wind was blowing the sand around so much.

The AI/AE will cope with such conditions with ease and most of the factory and milsurp ammunition I have tried in it so far has worked very nicely with best results with Danish AMA.

Thank you guys.

Can the AE MK3 system shoot as accurate as the barnard sm?

Hi Gunnery, do you have problems with the HS magazine? Does it feed well?

The scope in this gun is higher then regular because of the tube forend.

Is it an issue? Do you have problem too (like Davy with the Barnard P action)with dust and sand going into the action?

Thank you again

GYT

Hi Ringman no i have had no problems with feed what so ever with the HS mag there as been problems i believe with 6-5x47 and HS mags but as long as you use 308. 260 etc it will be fine.scope hieght no problems with that i have a smidt 12.5-50 x56 shoot long range with it spot on.as regards dust i know the barnard actions are know for having tight tolerences so maybe there might be a problem with dust or sand but i have not had any problems in that area besides if you are going to buy a custom rifle action i dont want buy a action which is loose.

There are tight tolerances, and ridiculously tight tolerances....to the point of being too tight, and unusable in anything but perfectly clean conditions. The barnard falls into this category.I,ve seen barnards lock solid with a 1/16" turn on one of the action screws.Thats too tight.

As everyone else has said buy the AE.

Ive not owned a barnard so cant comment, but from what I understand its a strong Target rifle and F class action. However I have owned 2 AE a MK1 and MK3 and for the conditions and type of end use your describing the AE would be the right choice. Get it ordered :rolleyes:

Dan

I have a Barnard P used for F Class,

If you look at Snipers Hide, search under Barnard, you may come across and interesting vid involving a Barnard P Chey action in a sand box,,,,

It still worked just fine.

Tight tolerances - yup, I have a BAT repeater, that has been used in some real crappy conditions, never failed to cysle yet.

I apreciate what people are saying re the AE, (ive owned and AW), but for me, I would go with the Barnard....any brand is going to have issues in sandy conditions.

If you are going to take the rifle out of the range enviroment , ie into the field and use to hunt / shoot etc , do yourself a favour and get the AI rifle , donot OVER think IT .

The Barnard is really a tgt rifle design , and as such is not really made lose enough to still function in adverse conditions .

I have AI AWs , and have seen & used my mates Barnard , so have a little experience in both systems , I see the Barnard as a tgt rifle & NOT a sniper rifle , and thats what it was designed to do .

If you want a tgt rifle , get a Barnard .

If you want a Tactical/Hunting type rifle , get the AI .

RE : Tight tolerances , as I knew the Badger M2008s had a rep for being tight , I speced my build to blue the action , and paint ONLY the outside of the action because of the tight fit of the bolt in the raceway .

Painter did not get message , and painted everything , it was so tight , you had to drown the action in oil , and even then , IT was almost impossible to open / move , I had to oil & wet & dry 1200 grit paper to cut the paint from the bolt body , so I could use the bloody thing .

Archived