browning buckmark

bramble basher

Hi all

would appreciate a little help I have been toying with the idea for some time with swapping my anshutz XIV for a browning buck-mark just because i don't do any serious rabbit shooting any more just a bit of lamping for fun

So was wondering 1. how accurate, not looking for the world but rabbits heads ain't that big

2. do they cycle OK with standard sub sonic ammo

3. how short can they be cut and retain accuracy (will be used mostly out of the truck)

4. how much more noise over a bolt action

I toyed with that idea many moons ago for exactly the reasons you state.

I borrowed one for a day at Minsterly before I made up my mind. I tried every brand of ammo Dave had and as you say a rabbit head is not that big. The browning never came close.

I ended up speaking to Roger up at SYSC and he built me a Volquartsen that routinely puts it in the head with RWS subsonic. The best is Eley but that had trouble cycling due to differences in bullet diameter, I refuse to start faffing around sorting ammo for a poxy 22lr so I stick with RWS or Eley Tenex

I use a couple of ten round Ruger mags, but they have to be clean and the spring tension must be perfect or they don’t work.

My score doubled. You can have 3-4 or more dead before they start running. The thwack of a bullet is louder than a bolt or working parts cycling

ATB

I toyed with that idea many moons ago for exactly the reasons you state.

I borrowed one for a day at Minsterly before I made up my mind. I tried every brand of ammo Dave had and as you say a rabbit head is not that big. The browning never came close.

I ended up speaking to Roger up at SYSC and he built me a Volquartsen that routinely puts it in the head with RWS subsonic. The best is Eley but that had trouble cycling due to differences in bullet diameter, I refuse to start faffing around sorting ammo for a poxy 22lr so I stick with RWS or Eley Tenex

I use a couple of ten round Ruger mags, but they have to be clean and the spring tension must be perfect or they don't work.

My score doubled. You can have 3-4 or more dead before they start running. The thwack of a bullet is louder than a bolt or working parts cycling

ATB

cheer's anyone else had experience with the buck-mark as a rabbiting gun would like to here them as I'm seriously thinking of going down the semi auto route

I don't own a Buckmark carbine, but a good friend has one and I shoot it quite a bit. It's a handy little rifle but can't hold a candle to my Green Mountain-barreled 10-22 in the accuracy department. I think one would be as good as another in the speed department but here, at least, we have a lot more magazine options for the Ruger than the Browning. Additionally, the Ruger is much easier to work on should you wish to tinker...~Andrew

I,ve converted dozens of the rifles into pistols, and also shortened carbines. As a pistol they are great. I broke the advancing target record with mine at the last nationals. Would i expect to head shoot bunnies at 75 yards with one of the rifles ?

No.

I shoot a buckmark pistol and at 25 yards its quite accurate, as regards pistols its not in the same league as my 38 revolver or 45 acp but its brilliant fun.

For youre use i would go with a custom ruger, mine shoots .25 inch at 50 yards easy with lapua master m or eley team ammo.

Garry

Archived