Yorkshire Trip Out

Given the previous other comments on threads about writing up any outings and how people would like to hear about them no matter how unimpressive. I would try to put pen to paper of when Eldon and I went out.

It’s the second time we have been out since meeting over the forum, but being from up north we have not created a suitable club name yet a la, the Cornish fruit slayers,. any suggestions welcome.

This time the ground which we intended to go on was unavailable, due to livestock, so with a quick shuffle we went to an alternative venue, just for some target practice. It was also the first times I’ve been out for a while having just had a new baby and not also having not used a new scope I had bought was feeling a little rusty.

So after a not so quick zero at 100 yards (need to read the turrets as up was the other way), we started to cruise backwards to circa 600 yards. After the not so quick zero Eldon thought it would be funny to play further on my insecurities / inadequacies and general sleep deprivation. We, or should I say he started the game of guess our drops / windage at each distance and see if we can get a hit on the plate. The other did a quick sense check on data of the guess to make sure it was safe. This was not fun especially when I realised Eldon had memorised key distances, hence my heavy losses!

To cut a long storey short, both our shooting seemed to be get better as they day went on. Must have been starting to get my eye in and adjust the turrets correctly. I think that shooting in a pair really benefited the both of us with us being able to call each other shots, this resulted in me being able to make a first time hit on the gong at circa 600 yards (I’m at work and can’t remember the exact distance, but think it was late 500’s) which is a real result for me.

It then started to get tricky with the wind, gusting between 3 and 10mph, which was evidenced on a paper target we had set up. Our trip was then cut short at about 13:00 after Eldon realised he had missed his 11:00 appointment, ooops. That and when Eldon’s ‘Mans calibre’ broke the plate off the chain!

Here are a few photo’s:

post-9959-015320600 1325597438_thumb.jpg

The target can just be seen (white dot in centre)

post-9959-023152900 1325597467_thumb.jpg

Close up of targets

post-9959-086017000 1325597524_thumb.jpg

Broken plate from Eldon's man sized Calibre

post-9959-035759400 1325597550_thumb.jpg

Photo of the plate to give a sense of scale

But one question for people, we found that our wind meters differed by 2mph, is this common, I was going to try holing it out the window on the way home to test it.

What i want to know is which one of us is steptoe ...... I'm usually called Ebenezer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice write up Andy and a thorough enjoyable time out. The other point that called the day to a close was the dubious reloading of mine :o

I must have fired around 30 - 40 bullets that day and had no issue at all until...... UH OH the bolts stuck. Not quite in and not openable (is that a word?)what do we do....... diddly dum diddly doo :blink: can't fire it and being mindful of the muzzle direction the bolt was solid. I hadn't closed it that hard but it was solid nevertheless.

Courtesy of a large rock and a nice sharp stalking knife :unsure: with a plastic grip, a few beats on the bolt and phew sigh of relief no damage and all fingers and bits still attached :rolleyes: .

The case had been marked up when I had been playing with neck size bushings. On later inspection the sizes initially looked good but when I put it in a dummy chamber I had machined the difference was very apparent. The case drastically needed full length body sizing.

I am just wondering now writing this if it was an old case that I had played with just for sizing etc but then put it in with the batch to reload... ummm possibly the answer.

Andy;

I won't tell them about you running out of the door forgeting things to avoid changing a 5hitty nappy... run Andy run :lol: :lol:

Andy;

I won't tell them about you running out of the door forgeting things to avoid changing a 5hitty nappy... run Andy run :lol: :lol:

Paid for it later, he was waiting for a change when I got back and you would think he had been left since first thing it was that full!

sounds like a good time was had let me know next time your going out i will bring [if invited]my new man toy 6-284 short all my land has nowhere beyond 300yds to shoot without footpaths and bridleways .

Why 308 of course scotch egg :P where as my boy was messing with a poxy 243 :o

Must say it is a lovely RPA thing though and yes I am quite jealous :wub:

CZV I'm out east leeds near the A1.

I used to shoot a lot up your way, camm farm near oughtershaw if you know it. Cracking piece of land, the farmer owned both sides of the valley, 1000 acres. Would have made an ideal impromptu range up to about 1000 yds but I was a keen rabbit shooter then and only had a 22 rimfire. Sadly the guy retired and the chap who bought it turned it into a shoot for himself.

Ah those were the days. I used to nip up in the landrover and stick a trials bike in the back. Shoot on a morning and night and ride my bike through the day. He had a bunk barn and i use to stop in there. Often brought 30 + rabbits back. I used to collect them from behind the walls with the motorbike and have them hanging like shopping bags from the handlebars. Nearly had a few off's but got away with it :rolleyes:

The cost for all this was........................ bring some tackle up and do me some odd jobs (welding, mechanical repairs etc)

Holy cow mate I shoot all greendield and oughtershaw, also snaizenholme which is my side of hill from cam, also have stalking near houghton in ribblesdale and white scar caves. Haha the cam was keepered up until last year. Don't know what's going on with it now mate. Drop me a pm mate or email me at jwjoinery@hotmail.co.uk I am often out near barton and scotch corner.

CZV

Cz I was asked to keeper camm about 14 year ago but it was just too far from home. Ian walllace was the guy who bought it.

Funny I had a spot near Langthwaite and the guy who owned that went to view the camm before he bought that one but decided against it. Had some great times there but it is definitely on the wrong side of the hill. Might sound daft but hawes side was always (nearly) better weather than camm side. Remember one night nipping down to Hawes to pick up some sheep and have a pint. Farmer and me walks in pub with waterproofs and wellies on and everybody else was in tee shirts. Not sure what happened to the sheep but we got a bit hammered that night :lol:

I have sent you an email.

Lmao. Well I hardly get to go out much too much work and diesel kills me! I use about 100 a week! The downside to living in remoteness. And yeah eldon in Leeds my cousin manages a pub called the eldon. Lol

And eldon mate that's why I need to trust my gear its only a mile over top from my ground too the cam. And I'm usually right on the top after Charlie's! And the weather will change just like that! And regards to the pub issue there all like that even in snow walking round in t shirts.... hell even I do now...and I'm originally a southerner for my sins ;-)

Garyw,

Mr Wallace apparently made his money initially from a Beatles memorabillia shop. Now i think he has a few business interests. Had a good chat with a builder who solely works for him a few years ago (15 - 20 )and he seem's to look after people if you get on his good side and do him right.

CZV, i bet I have met your brother as his pub is opposite my work hence my user name :lol:

Garyw,

Mr Wallace apparently made his money initially from a Beatles memorabillia shop. Now i think he has a few business interests. Had a good chat with a builder who solely works for him a few years ago (15 - 20 )and he seem's to look after people if you get on his good side and do him right.

CZV, i bet I have met your brother as his pub is opposite my work hence my user name :lol:

Eldon-is that DENNIS by any chance? my mate fits a few carpets for him as he has a fair few properties,and your correct about the beatles shop he sold that but im sure he still has some sort of royalty rights with sales to beatles stuff.he still wears his hats 3 sizes too big :D

as you say a nice fella.

His name fails me now but I think you are right with Dennis. Did he have major back problems? Mr Wallace went to see him in hospital and funded his money worries bills etc whilst he was there!

Nice guy.

His name fails me now but I think you are right with Dennis. Did he have major back problems? Mr Wallace went to see him in hospital and funded his money worries bills etc whilst he was there!

Nice guy.

thats the fella-we used to see him at knaresborough clay ground but sadly i dont go anymore.

Archived