what fixed blade knife ?

Aggy

Hi guys I am thinking of getting another knife must be fixed blade not silly rambo sized dont need a gut hook will be used for preping rabbits and other general duties .whats your thoughts.

Mick

i have a couple of Mora knifes one is a clipper i also have a 1920's scout knife is a nice blade but the handle is too small for my hand .

mick

Try the falkniven wm1 , great knife that can be neck hung so it's always to hand and not under a load of coats in the cold , small enough for a rabbit and big enough to graloch reds ?

Had a few mora knives myself. Once found a site that had x rays of a few different models. The ones I had, one of them busted inside the handle and the x ray proved my thoughts that the tang was a long way short.

The best ones according to x ray are the Mora 2000. They have a more substantial length to the tang. Mine has a green plastic handle. I prefer my knives more pointy, think more fillet like, and so i bought a couple and reshaped the blades. They do everything i want including acting as a mallet as in my other recent posts :unsure: .

Think I paid around £21 each from Norway, they were cheaper that way including postage than from scotland :wacko:

Cracking knife and sharpened up real easy after a bench grind to the preferred shape.

To be honest most knives out the packet perform. However it is when then need sharpending that they fail.

The best sharpener I know is the IKEA 365 ceramic. Less then £10 and keeps a blade on point.

I use the 365 knife range in the kitchen, had my eye on some Henkle's until I played with the 365's.

Give'em a go, but ensure you take the sharpener. Keep any blade sharp.

Mick,

I've found knives to be very personnal but like guns needing to be fit for purpose.

Agree re. the 'Rambo' thing, you see lots of adverts in Gunmart for knives that could double up as a bloody whaling harpoon :rolleyes:

The Mora knives are very nice, years ago I was given a small Mora folder by a Norwegian company who was doing some work for me, I tihnk my father still has it.

If the knife's not too expensive then you do not mind doing a bit of reshaping, but I must admit a love of knives and have a Gene Ingram drop point as my 'Sunday best' and only used for stalking:

Ingram.jpg

Will take a look at the Ikea sharpener, always looking for the better mouse trap.

Brgds

Terry

Mick,

I've found knives to be very personnal but like guns needing to be fit for purpose.

Agree re. the 'Rambo' thing, you see lots of adverts in Gunmart for knives that could double up as a bloody whaling harpoon :rolleyes:

The Mora knives are very nice, years ago I was given a small Mora folder by a Norwegian company who was doing some work for me, I tihnk my father still has it.

If the knife's not too expensive then you do not mind doing a bit of reshaping, but I must admit a love of knives and have a Gene Ingram drop point as my 'Sunday best' and only used for stalking:

Ingram.jpg

Will take a look at the Ikea sharpener, always looking for the better mouse trap.

Brgds

Terry

Hello

I have what seems hundreds of knives over a lot of years,

Can't turn up to a gamefair without a smiling wife asking if I need a new knife today, bless her

I seem now to be using smaller knives than before, and doing more with them ,

All time favourite is a CRKT Bearclaw, all most to small to look at it but the edge holding ability of it's steel is amazing, and the genuine knife finger hole through the handle so you can't slip and rub your hand down the blade is so comfortable and tactile at the same time

Second favourite is a Helle Brakar, sandwiched steel and very sharp,

It's taken many years to learn not to cut through stuff wich I think it should cut through rather than keeping a really sharp edge for what I know it will cut through,

After getting home with a tub of bellied out rabbits using a lesser knife to take chop the lower legs off,

A old keeper friend of mine watched me skin a Roebuck with the Bearclaw and was amazed as he said it wasn't up to it,

Smaller knives don't attract attention when pulled for a chat with local police when coming home at daft o'clock with a tub of bunnies and a few fox tails in the back of the car , but a Johny Rambow knife does non of us any favours,

Regards

Alan

Archived