Mini Rifle - info please?

terryh

Gents,

As the title suggests I'm after information re. mimi-rifle in general.

I can glean from the UKPSA web site basic rules and have looked at some club's web sites who put on these matches but I'm after infil from anyone who's partaken in, or shoots these comps.

Such things as:

Min and max distances shot over - also are they found on the same stage?

Round count per stage.

Typical stages encountered, number of firing points.

Is there a national league or is it club/locally arranged shoots.

What type/make of rifle dominates

Which sighting system is normally 'in the top three' i.e red dot or low powered scope?

The reasona for asking are two fold, there are a few in my club who have shown an interest so I'm looking to try a couple of stages on our range and would like to make them 'comparable' to those currently used elsewhere, also the latter questions are out of my own interest.

Cheers Terry

I,ve shot it quite a bit Terry.

Firstly, if you go down the UKPSA route, you will get embroiled in red tape, and completely unnecesary rules and regulations, to the point you start looking for a stout length of rope.

Mini rifle can be shot using a variety of targets, unfortunatly most places seem to use the std IPSC coffin, which rapidly becomes boring. Use some mini figure 11,s etc, and score them, 5, 4 ,3 etc, same as A, B, C , on a coffin target.

Most COF,s are at short ranges, ie 5 to 25 yards, and involve turning targets, door entries etc.

You basically want a long enough COF to make people change mags several times, and the targets should be COMSTOCK rules, ie, you can shoot at them as many rounds as you wish to guarantee a 5 or A score....but it does cost time, as its all against the clock.

Its a .22 version of practical pistol basically.

Aren't you somewhere near Shield ? Pop along and have a word with Steve Pike, he will tell you all you need to know.

Gun wise, people need a 10/22 with 25 round mags, or any of the AR clones etc, with a low powered scope or ACOG or red dot....all work well.

Dave,

thank you for that starting point.

I would not be using UKPSA, just read their blurb as a pointer/bum sniffing excercise. IMHO IDPA was far more relevent re. pistols than any of the 'practical' bunch.

I'd use a varierty of targets, pretty good at making reactive's using say a scaled fig.11, a mini clay and a bit of bungie cord (got my Blue Peter badge y'know :lol: )

Comstock = kill the target = accurate and slow or fast and spray = your choice, like that!

We have a pretty good 100m range, so long as I can keep it moving down range think i can put some stages together.

I'm down near Bude N.Cornwall, where are Shield at then?

I ended up with an Eotech on my Bushmaster in the US for carbine matches, might be the ticket for this game?

Cheers and have a good one - just 'orf to attack the sherry trifle!

brgds

Terry

John,

Very nice - bit much for a starter gun though!, more kit it than my original Bushy :ph34r:

Your Plymouth way - anyone local that shoots mini rifle?

Terry

I use a spikes tactical st 22 for mini rifle .IMO the most important is a gun that will fire without jamming , it jams and you will not recover from it .Nothing wrong with 10/22s "I have had three" But I find the AR platform alot quicker to use .

Mick

Dave,

Thank you for the info/link, only 100 miles away and locally that's doorstep :lol: Will give Steve a call in the New Year.

Questions re/. stages and necessary kit, do you-

I assume need mag carriers/pouches for reloads?

Retain mags i.e. use a drop pouch?

Tactical re-loads i.e. don't shoot the gun dry?

Move with live gun between each section of a stage?

Have rules like load behind cover i.e. like IDPA?

Just getting a feel for things, trip to US early in New Year so might need to pick up some kit.

Brgds

Terry

Yep, all of those things Terry, but basically you can reload as and when, or where you wish. Shot counting etc is all part and parcel. Its basically just the same as any practical discipline, but with a .22.

Archived