BAAAAAD DAY!!!!!

olive drab

Bought a remington 700 couple of weeks ago even gone through and on my ticket it even crossed my mind to do a show and tell on here on how i go about squeezing that little bit of accuracy out of it until,,,,,i rigged it all up put a scope base on it 1 piece set of 1 piece badger ordinance rings and a schmidt and bender pmII scope all good so far get to range, 100m away, send one down range and ,poop not on even on paper bit puzzled i carried on with cleaning it as part of barrel break in procedure carried on 3rd round and nothing i ask lad next to me to watch for the shot, pop! i get told the elevation was good but id actually hit on his target!!!!! ahem! bit embarrassing as supposed to be professional at this hahaaa i worked it out and for my next shot bang on center mass only problem is i now have 16 moa wound on to the scope! considering the distance and the fact not alot of wind is going to blow a 308 bullet off course at 100m i guess this was unacceptable i then gave up breaking the barrel in and stepped back from the f,p to look at the whole rig which then drew a crowd with comments of s**t! and f***k! on inspection (we didnt need close inspection) the scope was pointing to the left and the barrel to the right i then tore the rig apart and got home where i used an old gunsmiths tool a piece of thread part no cttonthrd1 tied to the rear base screw over the front and down to the muzzle BLIMEY! the threads on either the barrel or the action are crooked so much that the end of the 26 inch barrel was 1.5 inches off center so after a bad day for me i will pass on my bad day feelings onto sportsman gun center who can pass on my love to edgar brothers so the moral of this story is thank god i bought it new and when we go to pick up new rifles inspect them as close as you can and accept nothing but perfect i will be taking my special thread with me for my presumed replacement and hope they get it right next time

i will pass on my bad day feelings onto sportsman gun center who can pass on my love to edgar brothers so the moral of this story is thank god i bought it new and when we go to pick up new rifles inspect them as close as you can and accept nothing but perfect i will be taking my special thread with me for my presumed replacement and hope they get it right next time

Hope it all works out, shocking that this hasn't been picked up in a Quality Check 0r something!

Hi,

I'm almost lost for words, was the barrel touching the forend and bending the stock? I have seen a few barrels like this from various manufacturers and some 'riflesmiths' but never this bad. Shocking QC at Ilion, if the barrel is as much as 1,1/2" at the muzzle then Edgar Bros. should be sending you a replacement in double quick time. I had a new Marlin that was faulty straight out of the box a while ago, when I mentioned that the customer was now considering a Winchester instead Edgar's got a replacement out to me the following day,

Alan

TBH it looked straight when i picked it up out the box but yes under the assumption it would have been QC at the end of production amazes me how it got to the shop floor to be sold there wasn't any sign of it touching the fore-end of the stock but it was more apparent looking down the barrel to the receiver it looks as if the threads were crooked (very crooked) but alas i gave it back to sportsman gun center and instead of exchanging it it has been sent back to edgar brothers so hopefully it will be sorted/replaced in next couple of days will keep you posted

To be fair to Edgars, they dont take the guns out of the boxes and check them. They will replace the gun, dont you worry about that. Their service to the trade is exemplary. If there is a problem, they usually sort it....quick.

Funny the proof house never spotted it.... :rolleyes:

I,m amazed a gun that was that far out at the muzzle could actually close its bolt on a round.I would have expected one of the bolt lugs to foul the bolt nose recess.

ill have to see the local dealer he took some pictures of it in hindsight im soooooo glad i didnt smash the bolt handle off to replace it for a tactical version, but yeah the bolt closed and didnt on the no/go gauges weird one this

Archived