A new addition to the stable...

MarinePMI

All,

I finally got out yesterday to have a go with this rifle. The action has been in my safe over the last year or so, and I'd finally gotten around to getting dies, brass, stock etc. to get it up and running.

It's a Browning Micro-Medallion in .22 Hornet, rebarreled to .17 Ackley Hornet. A .193" no-turn neck chamber, cut into a PacNor SS barrel. Not too shabby (if I say so myself) and shoots beautifully. I'm (as you guys say) quite chuffed with it. I think the Leupold 3-9x40 is about the right size for the tiny action, and it handles well. I was also very pleased with the Prvi hornet brass, as it formed well (though I did have an odd case pop a primer). All in all though, I'm very pleased.

Anyways, just wanted to share my enthusiasm (and maybe brag a little). :P

Love. This. Cartridge. :D

Scenery? That's not scenery. That's his back yard. Nice job Amigo.~Andrew

LOL! :lol: Next time I come up for some PD shooting, this rifle will be coming. I think it'll fit somewhere between the 7 and 9 iron in our respective golf bags of PD rifles...

Stevie,

Yes, it is nice. So nice in fact, that sometimes I forget that my backyard has quite the view. Usually, it's when I have to take a picture or something, that I notice "Wow, the wife and I really have a nice view". Thanks for the compliment, it's what makes San Diego the garden spot that it is. :)

P.S. There's some monster bass fishing in that lake in the back left (landed a nice 4.5 lb one earlier this spring).

I am loving the micro action. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if they will chamber it in the new .17 Hornady Hornet. Out of interest does the .17AH load from the mag? I understand that they don't feed in CZ's.

The Brownings are very over looked IMHO. I have an A-bolt and would love to add a micro to my stable.

Well Marine, I am envious: a gorgeous lightweight varmint rifle, terrific open somewhat arid countryside, and good bass fishing too... It's really a very smart, neat, well proportioned rifle, ideally styled for that chambering I would say. I've been interested in .17AH for some time (have read a bit in The Varmint Hunter) and though I tend now to think of Fireball as my next varmint round - or maybe .17VHA - there's a lot to be said for it. Probably effective out to around 250 yards...? Let us know how you get on. I'm hoping to be in N.America again next summer, hunting groundhogs, but at least a couple of thousand miles from San Diego; but those pictures (and the thought of bass) make me feel like changing my destination. Again, great rifle, good hunting with it.

Regards, Tony

Archived