260 Remington

Mike6.5

Good day all

Calling all 260Rem owners past and present.

After receiving the new 260Rem rifle in September I’ve had one session finding an OCW for the 95Gr V-max, and no time for other load development.

Today I was hoping for a weekend of Load development but I’m sitting here typing this as its pissing down with rain and the wind is shaking the house, another day in North Wales. <_<

Could you guys please point me in the right direction with some “pet” loads as I don’t have the time and weather for initial development.

With the shared information it would give me a good head start in the initial process,

I would start with lower powder weight and work up etc.

24” Barrel / 1 in 8.5 Twist

Bullets/Powder I have in the Stock pile -

100gr Nosler BT’s

120gr Nosler BT’s

100gr Nosler Partitions

120gr Sierra HPBT

123gr Lapua SCENAR

140gr Berger VLD Hunting

VARGET

H380

H414

H4350

N140

N160

RL19

RL17

Thank you for your time.

Mike

Good day all

After receiving the new 260Rem rifle in September I’ve had one session finding an OCW for the 95Gr V-max, and no time for other load development.

Today I was hoping for a weekend of Load development but I’m sitting here typing this as its pissing down with rain and the wind is shaking the house, another day in North Wales. <_<

Could you guys please point me in the right direction with some “pet” loads as I don’t have the time and weather for initial development.

With the shared information it would give me a good head start in the initial process,

100gr Nosler BT’s

120gr Nosler BT’s

100gr Nosler Partitions

120gr Sierra HPBT

123gr Lapua SCENAR

140gr Berger VLD Hunting

VARGET

H380

H414

H4350

N140

N160

RL19

RL17

Thank you for your time.

Mike

As you have 3 different Nosler Bullet types, I would suggest either looking at Nosler Book #6 or on their website for suitable loads.

My 260 is 22" barrel 1:9 twist, so no comparison to yours, but I use the Load from the Nosler Book of 40Gns RL15 under 120Gn NBT, Fed GM210M primers out of Nosler Custom Brass.... It works for me. BTW this load duplicates the Nosler data for the load exactly, with 7fps ES, and less than .5 MOA accuracy.

Good luck with your researches.

With that number of components Mike, you have enough permutations to wear out five barrels :lol:

Sold my .260 a while ago and can't remember the actual loads.

Varget with any of the lighter projectiles should go well, as should 4350 with the 140s

Chris-NZ

Good day all

100gr Nosler BT’s

120gr Nosler BT’s

100gr Nosler Partitions

120gr Sierra HPBT

123gr Lapua SCENAR

140gr Berger VLD Hunting

VARGET

H380

H414

H4350

N140

N160

RL19

RL17

Thank you for your time.

Mike

Mike,

My .260 Rem recipe is for the 123gr Lapua Scenar=38.5grs of Varget does well out of my 26" 8.5 twist-anywhere from 100 to 1000yds

Try that and a couple of others, then settle on the best of the bunch, if you test all of those possible permutations you'll waste loads of shooting time for little actual gain.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Reecy

Cheers for the replies!

I managed to develop a load for fine tuning with the 140gr VLD lastnight down at the range - 0.388" 3 shot group at 100 yards using 43.5gr of H4350.

bestgroupoal.jpg

Gunnery what powder and weight did you use for the 100gr NBT?

I can’t make out the info on the pic you posted in general discussion.

Awesome bloody groups at 200y...good job!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Though I am using different powders; here's one that may be worth trying. !work up!

Winchester M70, Lilja 3 groove 27", 1:8, varmint contour.

140 gr Berger VLD Hunting

Lapua case

45gr H4831SC

Federal 210 primer

OAL 2.910*

*single loading, for my rifle

.463" 3 shot

There was initial seating depth that was fairly accurate, but this load went past that, due to the longer bullet. The accuracy improved upon seating the Bergers a bit further out. I have not revisited this load to make any adjustments, but believe I can improve upon it. I have a 139gr Scenar load that is seated at 2.900 - 2.905", and works fairly well.

target-M.jpg

42g of N550 under a 123g Scenar comes out at 3005FPS from my 30'' Truflite.

I use 44.5g of N560 under a 139g Scenar for my sons 260 ....26'' Krieger....goes at about 2750.... not hugely fast but VERY accurate!

For hunting I use 130g NABs with 45.5g of N560....not checked speed.

No pressures on any of these in my barrels and if not for being very happy with accuracy as they are I could push harder.

NOTE - ALL of my loads are well over standard COL so pressures mitigated.

Cheers

Dave

Archived