Optimal barrel length for 7WSM

6mmBR

Hi guys just want to pick your brains.

What do you consider the optimal barrel length for a 7WSM?

Is there any advantage on running a 32" tube to wring out every last fps or is it all over by 30"

The one advantage I can see is the extra bit of weight at the muzzle and of course being 2" closer to the target.

Cheers

Dave

Dave you get the best of both worlds. Shoot it at 32 inches once load dev is done and rifle done a couple of comps and the barrel id U/S cut of two inches and then shoot it in 30 inch flavour

serously im betting with powder like r17 there is no conceivable advantage to 32 over 30 but with slightly slower powders like 48631 etc there is a didtinct advantage. From the point of allowing enough barrel lenntgth to properly burn the fast/slower powders.

Dave,

I use the 180 Bergers in mine and if you push them too fast - close to 3100fps, they will blow up. Obviosly, you just cannot risk this in competition so I run mine at about 3050fps - this is easily achievable with a 30 inch barrel - in fact, my current one is 29 inches.

Vince

Dave you can get the best speed cerca 3050/3100 out of a 30inch barrel, as spud said you can chop a 32inch down a bit if needed , not quite as simple as choppping 2 inches of the chamber if you only have a 400 strait shank before the taper starts .If you have a strait barrel say 31mm chamber to crown then no worries. unless you are doing your own chambering i would fit a new barrel rather than chop aan old barrel and rechamber , its going to cost you the same to chamber a new tube or a secound chambering .

I watched a F Class shooter of note shooting a WSM with a 34 inch barrel and the flex shown after the bullet went out of the crown was around 4/6 inches of whip , iam not up on barrel harmonics but it looked very off putting to me .

so i will side with the 30inch followers in WSM till proven other wise .

Hi guys just want to pick your brains.

What do you consider the optimal barrel length for a 7WSM?

Is there any advantage on running a 32" tube to wring out every last fps or is it all over by 30"

The one advantage I can see is the extra bit of weight at the muzzle and of course being 2" closer to the target.

Cheers

Dave

999 yards is a very competetive length.

• 11 months later...

Archived