Foxing rifle

Gaz

Alan, İ suggest you read my post properly. İ did not suggest a 40 grain .224" versus 40 grain .204" comparison. Not sure you could realistically argue that 40 grains is heavy for the. .204 calibre either.

I have read many times that some people have had issues using the 40 grn Vmax in the standard 12 twist tube.

Although the some people seem OK - others state they will not stablize properly.

When I enquired on this forum concerning the best rate of twist for 39 gn SBK in a 20 cal - the answer came back loud and clear as an 11 twist - so there are no worries.

So although the 40 grn bullet isn't a heavy weight - it seems right at the top of what a standard 204 can stablize. Correct me if I am wrong.

Alan

Spot on Alan. The 40 grain is the most a factory tubed 1 in 12" will [or wont stabilise] . However, as the cartridge rapidly progressed, everyone realised that the manufacturers had got it wrong with the twist.

I would class a 40 as the mid weight bullet. A 32 as a lightweight, and the 50 as a heavyweight.

The border Archer 1 in 10 [and a bit] is stabilising various bullets up to 50 grainers. Had an old customer in this morning that i rebarrelled a gun for 12 months since, and he gave me a list of what it would shoot with astounding accuracy. However, the 40 grain v-max wasn,t one of them, but it did like 50 grainers, and 39 grain blk,s.

I wonder why there is a requirement for "flat shooting"

No bullet or cartridge combintion will break the laws of physics.

A high BC heavier bullet will always perform better than a low BC light bullet.

Is flat shooting a substitute for the inability to get range / drop correct on target?

I wonder....

Im with Alan, ive had a 22-250 (AI) for seven or eight years and I use 75g A max in it - nothing ive shot in ("varminting" calibres) comes close for a perfect foxing cartridge.....

6-284 with a 87 gr vmax doing around 3600 fps , jucking fudas . not for the squeamish ! try 1100 ftlbs at 500 yards and pretty much point and squirt to 300 yards , I'm also with Alan and crew on the 22-250 I'm using 53 gr vmax at 3850 fps and there shockingly accurate ,flat and explosive .

Archived