KG1 Carbon remover?

Anyone tried KG1 carbon remover? Thinking of trying some, never used a carbon specific clenaer before always just relied on my copper remover but I think its time I gave it a try, is this stuff any good? (too much time to think on these rainy days)

Anyone tried KG1 carbon remover? Thinking of trying some, never used a carbon specific clenaer before always just relied on my copper remover but I think its time I gave it a try, is this stuff any good? (too much time to think on these rainy days)

Yes I have some but rarely use it, I have just seen a new border barrel breakin in using 'Wipe-Out' and its awesome stuff, it says on the can that it takes EVERYTHING out, carbon, copper etc, its expensive at about £13.00 a can but so was that that which promotes growth and vigour I bought called KG1.

As far as I'm concerned the KG copper stuff is crap as well, i cleaned my barrel with it then I used forrest bore foam and the patches were blue again, so imho the kg stuff lays great claims to fame but i appear to be the only person ever using it.

Regards

rogern, I may steer clear of it then, I sometimes use wipeout and it is great stuff, if I am out late I just put a few patches down with the accelorator on it then spray the foam, get up in the morning and patch it out, great stuff. It is a bit slow though as it needs some time to sit so I prefer a proper solvent for quick cleaning if I am load testing etc.

Ive been testing a product called M Pro 7, for the last 6 or 7 months, its distributed by Viking Arms.

They do a bore cleaner that removes carbon fouling like nothing I have ever used before and a copper removing solution that really does work (unlike some I could mention)

When used as directed in the instructions, my barrels come cleaner than any other product I have used over the years....

The copper remover even shows residue after a barrel was cleaned twice with Forrest Foam, which was what I used before turning to M Pro 7.

I have some pics I can post if you want that were going for an article for a mag about the stuff.

Just be careful, the more agressive the cleaners, the easier it is to ruin a good barrel. I noticed on one of the message boards somewhere a shooter bemoaning the fact he had left Robla Solo in his barrel too long and it had made a mess of it. I have a bottle of that stuff and the ammonia is so stong a whiff from inches away is like a smack in the nose. It removes copper and fouling like nobodys business but I have only dared use it in a smle 303. It certainly cleaned it out, but left the barrel dull grey after only 20 mins and I had to resort to JB compound to restore it to anything like after. You would never treat a decent barrel in this way unless you had gone mad, but this was an old rifle that had been neglected so nothing lost and it did shoot reasonably well afterwards, considering its age and the ammo used.

Far better to be patient and use one of the safe cleaners properly, like anything it is easy to become obsessed with cleaning to the point you gain nothing in accuracy and spoil the barrel long before its time. if the rifle will shoot the first round spot on to the point of aim, what more do you need? the others after will surely follow it if everything else is right.

Craigy, get out and shoot some varmints, take your mind off all the doodads :blink:

redfox

Andy some pics would be nice always nice to see how new products are doing.

redfox, youre right I need to get into the field and shoot, I headed out this morning and when I go to my range the wind metre was reading from 12- 20 mph, fired a few shots they were hitting 2 inches to the right of the bull (still grouping decent though considering the gusts) so I packed up and went home, cant seem to get time off to coincide with good conditions these days, working like hell these days (getting married next year :blink: ) so time off is rare, definatley need more :blink: . My cleaning regime works quite well for me I usually use montana extreme 50bmg copper killer which is supposed to be 100 % barrel safe and does a good job I just always notice a few light black marks right at the bottom of a patch usually at the end of a cleaning session on the last few dry patches, dont know where the hell they come from figured they might be carbon or something but to be honest I cant see how they could be as they arent showing on solvent soaked patches :blink:, just me over thinking things as usuall, probably shouldnt even think about it.

Just rubbing the patch on very clean steel will produce the black marks you mention. I dont worry about that, so long as I'm happy I have cleaned it properly first and as you and most of the lads on here clean their barrels regularly, they will be spot on.

Redfox

Craigy

as promised some pics I was going to send to a mag for a test I have done on M Pro-7.

I cleaned the barrel of my 25-06 with my normal cleaning solution, fibre brush soaked in cleaner, swab out the barrel and leave for five mins.

Then one wet, one dry patch until clean.

I then continued with one wet one dry till there was no residue showing on the patches - this took about 12 patches.

I left the barrel for half hour over a radiator, although there was no residue left of my usual cleaner, I wanted to make sure it was in fact absolutely dry in the bore before I tried the M Pro 7.

Just remember I said that the barrel was (for all I knew"clean")

I then applied M Pro7 Gun Cleaner to a nylon bristle brush and swabbed the bore.

Left it 5 mins and this is the first patch out - the bristle was clean by the way when it went in.

DSC00420.jpg

I then wet / dry patched with gun cleaner till there was no residue left and the patches were clean.

Using the M Pro 7 copper remover, I used a different and clean nylon bristle brush and applied this to then bore, leaving it for 5 mins.

The first patch out after 5 mins

DSC00427.jpg

I continued to wet dry patch with the copper solution untill the bore was clean.

I kept each patch and the results are below:

DSC00430.jpg

Now if you examine the above photo, you can see the order the patches came out, starting at the top the first patch shows carbon fouling (brownish residue) and then successive patches untill there were no more carbon showing (#9)

Next is the first patch of copper remover and succesive patches untill clean (14 in total)

I now use the two M Pro 7 products exclusively, I believe they are that good.

There is no ammonia, no smell, it is biodegradeable, you can ship it without hazchem markings.

I don't think you will be dissapointed if you tried some.

thanks andy, that stuff looks good, I like the fact it doesnt smell, sick of the room stinking of solvents after a cleaning session, I will have to order some, who sells it?

Not sure who sell in your area but Viking Arms are the importers and will probably send you some if you ask, they are pretty helpful.

http://www.vikingarms.com/

Heres some gumf about M Pro 7 with infor as to how it works.

http://www.mp7.com/

enjoy!

Hi Andy

That was a good report, i have a question though:

If you use the M pro 7 properly as you obviously did, does it mean that next time cleaning will be quicker as less copper will 'stick' to the rifling.

That is a claim made by 'Wipe out' which I was thinking of trying, ie, once done properly very little copper comes out after subsequent use.

Regards

I have to say that M Pro 7 has no magical claims.

You have to use the carbon remover (gun cleaner) and then copper remover to get the best results, but as the cleaners remove pretty much all fouling, it is replaced as soon as a shot is fired!

So the cleaning regime has to be repeated - no magical cures I am afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

despite what other contributors to this topic have said, I have found KG products very effective and definitely more so than the ones I was using before (Hoppe's- which I know isn't much of a comparison). KG1 in particular, dislodged carbon very very effectively, particularly in sub-calibre barrels (.17 and .20). I would be getting clear patches with other cleaners, yet a couple of minute soaks with KG1 and the patch would come out black. Similar story with their KG12 (copper remover). I guess the secret there is to leave the chemical do the job, rather than the elbow grease.

The problem with KG stuff is that it is difficult to get these days, the franchise has moved out of the UK, and is now represented by someone at your part of the world. But I have to say their service leaves room for improvement.

That said, I was impressed by the report by someone in the topic about MPro7 and e-mailed Viking arms for some answers or help where to locate these. Still haven't heard anything, so I am not keeping my hopes up.

Irrespective of the cleaner however, I find carbon fowling more of a problem in my barrels than copper. My 6mmBR has a custom (Border) barrel, and it does not give me much trouble cleaning it. The .204Ruger (Sako) and the .17HMR (CZ) though are absolute pains in the proverbial to clean, and everytime I do it I get fitter from the exercise. My gunsmith gets richer as I keep buying rods as they bend so often... But, such is life!

best wishes,

Finman

Hi chaps, I have got to agree with FINMAN I did a similar thing I was totally blinkered in my quest to eliminate copper fouling that i overlooked the carbon on a 243 barrel that was a B*****D to clean, it was only when I came across KG1 that things were eventually put right, even though that 243 barrel has gone and it is now a 6mmBR I fear the day that I cannot get any KG1 as I am now down to my last bottle.

Craig, did you source yours locally or did you send for it ?,as I need to replenish my stash.

Cheers JTF

Hi JTF

the original importers of KG1 were the Riflestore, which is now closed after a colorfull route in the firearms history in the UK. The original owner of the RifleStore (www.theriflestore.com) has now moved out of the UK but kept the representation of KG for the whole world outside the US. As such they gave the KG representation for the UK to a dealer in Northern Ireland, trading under the name 'The Gunshop'. You can order on their website (www.thegunshop.co.uk) but you will be waiting for a month before anything arrives. Being that they are in Northern Ireland and some of these chemicals are (I presume) classed as hazardous, they can only be transported by surface mail, which, combined with the slowness (inefficiency??) of the dealer, has you waiting for, what seems like, ages. Plus there is no more KG12 for the last 3 or so months...

good luck! If you manage to find another route to getting the stuff, do let us know.

best wishes,

Finman

• 2 weeks later...

Ronin,

after your very informative response to this matter, I contacted Vicking arms via their e-mail on the website, but I have had no luck whatever in getting a response, neither did I see the product listed in their current catalog. do you have any other routes that I may be able to find this?

best wishes,

Finman

Ronin,

after your very informative response to this matter, I contacted Vicking arms via their e-mail on the website, but I have had no luck whatever in getting a response, neither did I see the product listed in their current catalog. do you have any other routes that I may be able to find this?

best wishes,

Finman

Panos

I believe Midway UK are offering it in their listings if you can`t get it anywhere else and can justify the postage

Other than that you could always ask uncle Steve to get some in for you :lol:

If you contact Viking and ask to speak to Sally, she is the marketing manager and very helpful - she should be able to point you to a local stockist or somewhere you can get some from by mail.

Panos

I believe Midway UK are offering it in their listings if you can`t get it anywhere else and can justify the postage

Other than that you could always ask uncle Steve to get some in for you :lol:

Hey WSM ;-)

thanks for that, I shall definitely ask Uncle Steve, never thought of that actually! i thought it would be listed in the catalogue before I could ask Steve to get some.

How's your back?

Ronin: thanks also for the information, I thought an e-mail would perhaps work better.

Best wishes,

Finman

I have asked my local dealer to get some in too, dont know if it will be before Christmas, but as we are only 30mls from Viking there is every chance. I will post on here when it happens and of course as ever WSM has kindly offered a supply as well, so it should be available soon. I respect Ronins opinion on this as he is very concientious on his cleaning regimes.

Redfox

Panos

Steve deals with Viking so he should be able to sort some out.I`ll ask him to order some next week when I see him :lol:

thanks for that Tim, I shall be going there also at some point to restock for the holidays ;-))

take care

Finman

Finman

Viking are usually very good at returning e-mail and telephone enquiries, a small but well run team staffs the office.

As I have said, I use this line of products pretty much exclusively now - I only have to revert to JB on the odd occasion I have shot too many rounds in the 6.5x284.

Just remember, you have to use the Gun Cleaner and Copper remover in conjunction with each other (NOT MIXED) but two separate applications for best results.

The Gun Cleaner removers powder / carbon fouling.

The Copper remover - removes copper!

I have a tech sheet somewhere but if you visit www.MPro7.com you should get more info.

(PS I have no affiliation to either Viking or M Pro7 - so i'm not biased in any way)

Redfox - if you want some let me know, I should be over there after the festive season as I think I may have an Icon to test....

Archived