Diggle 600yrd comp!!!!

Did the first 600yrd comp on saturday, weather for the diggle was fantastic, just a left to right breeze!!!,

The varget load during testing the sunday before shot the best group,,,, 38.2, 130g jlk bullets, group sise was in the two,s,,,,,

Fistly i squaded in the butts,, looking at some really nice groups,, wind was hardly moving the grass???

Tony young put a really small 2.6 group in with her 308 :rolleyes: , i thought shite that is going to be hard to beat and she was in my group as well (factory sporter)

As allways the factory savage rifles were shooting fantastic,,, I hate to see these rifles on the firing line, co,s you know that they are going to shoot really well,,

Anyway my first group or should i say my first shot was dead center just above the bull :)

second was just gutting the line on the bull, third two inches high, still not to bad but not as good as the first two, fourth two inche s left,, all in all a nice three inch group for four shots,, and my hard data was bang on the money,,, 600yrd 10.7 moa elevation,, wind was two mile an hour if that,,, half a minuite left windage,, now we come to the fith shot??

yes you guessed it dropped thee inches from the group :o ,, are well thats the way it goes some times,, the group size ende up as 6 inches,,, it ruined a nice three inch group!!!!

Second group was in the same area as the first and i got a three inch group :D , at least i felt happy now,,, for those that do not know the course of fire for the 600yrd br comp??,

You fire your first five rounds these are then marked (ring around them) and then your second five when the board comes back up,, two targets 20 round comp ten on each,,,

So thats the first ten,, now onto the second target,,, I hope by know you have got the jist of it???so this will not be long winded, excuse the pun :D ,,,,i got 8 shots in just under 4" and the tenth just slightly to the right, bloody wind dropped stone dead!!!,, end up with a 4.297 and 3.832,, so not to shabby?? i ended up with a third place for the day,,

Bipod is not very good on a concrete bench,, it jumps around a bit??, will have to get a propper rest sorted for it, i think ;);)

Toney Young got first place!!! And well done to her ;)

I will try and get some pic,s up later this week????

Rifle used was a accuracy international AW in 6.5x47,, Hope that i have not bored you all to death????

Darrel

Hi Gary,

It is early times yet my mate!!!

But looking at them and this was the first outing,,

they look good

I will keep you informed????

Rob, i normally use carpet under the rest and have done so for a few years,,,,,

the biggest problem was that the AI stock will not ride the bags very good, this combided with the rest made it bloody hard!!!! had to adjust everything for each shot,,,

I have got a couple of idea,s for the stock so should get even better results next time out,,,

All the best Darrel

Hi Gary,

It is early times yet my mate!!!

But looking at them and this was the first outing,,

they look good

I will keep you informed????

Rob, i normally use carpet under the rest and have done so for a few years,,,,,

the biggest problem was that the AI stock will not ride the bags very good, this combided with the rest made it bloody hard!!!! had to adjust everything for each shot,,,

I have got a couple of idea,s for the stock so should get even better results next time out,,,

All the best Darrel

Darrel,

As you know, I was at Bisley so couldn't shoot the comp. but glad it went well.

I believe there was a 'straw poll' regarding a comp. Christmas week - the 27th December to be precise - so if anyone fancies a bit of 600 yard benchrest you will be very welcome to attend - just turn up at Diggle at around 10.00am.

Cheers

Vince

Darrel,

As you know, I was at Bisley so couldn't shoot the comp. but glad it went well.

I believe there was a 'straw poll' regarding a comp. Christmas week - the 27th December to be precise - so if anyone fancies a bit of 600 yard benchrest you will be very welcome to attend - just turn up at Diggle at around 10.00am.

Cheers

Vince

Hi Vince, I take it that the propossed comp on the 27 of december replaces the one on the 31???, Vince how did you get on at bisley???,

Look forward to seeing you all soon!!!

Darrel P.S Darren it was nice to have a chin wag,,are you going to attend on the 27???

Darrel,

It looks like 27th December (Tuesday) is the preferred date. I doesn't interfere with Christmas or New Year and a lot are off all week.

Bisley? Don't ask! No, it was a very enjoyable weekend as always. Almost 50% of the entry were from overseas - in six matches, I only shot with one English speaker! The Ukrainians were incredible - winning the Open and almost winning F/TR!

Cheers

Vince

Hi Vince, I take it that the propossed comp on the 27 of december replaces the one on the 31???, Vince how did you get on at bisley???,

Look forward to seeing you all soon!!!

Darrel P.S Darren it was nice to have a chin wag,,are you going to attend on the 27???

If I'm not working, I enjoyed my first 600 Benchrest, see you soon.

Darren.

Guest richness

Nice shootin Darrell!

So how do do reakon these new pencil bullets compare to the scenarios?

Garry

And indeed 130gr VLD bergers? I was chatting to a guy in USA who reckons BC of JLKs really is .625 but 130gr VLDs are slightly overstated by Berger. How do the JLKs do it when they are pretty much identical?! Anyway, glad you're getting them going well mate and i hope they outshoot the scenars for you. What barrel do you have again mate?

And indeed 130gr VLD bergers? I was chatting to a guy in USA who reckons BC of JLKs really is .625 but 130gr VLDs are slightly overstated by Berger. How do the JLKs do it when they are pretty much identical?! Anyway, glad you're getting them going well mate and i hope they outshoot the scenars for you. What barrel do you have again mate?

Hi Rich,, The barrel that i have got on is a border barrel (archer)

How is things going with you lads up there????

All the best Darrel

Guest richness

Hi Rich,, The barrel that i have got on is a border barrel (archer)

How is things going with you lads up there????

All the best Darrel

Cool. I had an Archer on my last 204 and it was a fine barrel.

Well we have been stressing out developing new loads as neither one of our rifles got on with the latest batch of 140 amax.

With the batch to batch variability of amax, i have now decided to permanently boycott Hornady in all cals. So I started experimenting with Nosler BTs, which are known to go well in Trueflites. I have developed a cracking load with them now and they certainly smack the rabbits well, even on the side-on soft tissue shots where the match ammo lets us down (unfortunately - or i'd be using scenars or jlks!) For his part, Si switched to 123amax and had trouble until he switched back to RL15 from RL17 and now they're going great too. He's pushing them at 2950 from 26" and i'm pushing the 120gr BTs at 3070 from 29". I am today testing out the 130gr accubonds which are hella expensive but should go well with RL17, perhaps up to 3000fps, and have a higher BC. If they are really really good, i'll switch to them despite the cost but they'll have to be excellent and fast or i'll stick to the 120gr BTs.

So now we're redoing our drop charts and getting back in the saddle. Si's obsessed with cant now (and rightly so) so we're looking into anti-cant bubbles, and also reducing ES which again is a little something that really adds up when you get out there.....So just pottering on really mate thanks. You know what it's like - always something new to test out and some new direction to go down :D All good fun :)

Archived