this may interest the Rifle Builders on here

I e mailed Berger to se what barrel the recomended to use with there bullets as Iam ready getting ready for a new tube

here is the reply from Bryan Litz

Pete,

In general there is no reason to favor a particular barrel brand over another. However, in your case (shooting very high velocity varmint bullets), there could be a bullet failure issue. In this case, I think a button rifled barrel may be 'gentler' on the bullet, and prevent some failures whereas a cut rifled barrel with potentially sharper riflings may cause more failures. The brand of button rifle isn't important.

Also, I would avoid the 'tight' 6mm barrels, and use a standard diameter for the same reason (avoiding bullet failures/blow-ups).

Good shooting,

-Bryan

interesting dont you think,so there is a good explaination for cut and button cut barrels

Hi Pete,

I don't know what chambering or velocities you intend running, if you are operating on 'the ragged edge of nothing' than perhaps you need every little bit of help. What issue is of concern to you? Rotational forces, friction and core melting or fouling? Sounds like moly or HBN coating might help along with 5R rifling,

Alan

I had the same dilema pete

tight bores like amax scenars & skinny bullets .236 .237 are best for bergers!

look on 6mmbr.com lot of info on there!

(i know u like the cal !:-P)

i know from my lookin about that bartilen do both sizes as well as krieger

think theres some others too that do both bores!

pac nor & shillen are .236

I had the same dilema pete

tight bores like amax scenars & skinny bullets .236 .237 are best for bergers!

look on 6mmbr.com lot of info on there!

(i know u like the cal !:-P)

i know from my lookin about that bartilen do both sizes as well as krieger

think theres some others too that do both bores!

pac nor & shillen are .236

as you know I only shoot Bergers,Ive been e mailing Bartilen,but getting a barrel over is the hard part,I have spoken to someone who inports there barrels but I nearly fell of my chair when I was quoted a price to supply fit and chamber :o

I tell you what though my Archer barrel shoots in the .1's and costs half what most cut barrel's do.

Caught me on a good day :lol:

5R or canted rifling helps certainly in cut rifled barrels.

As does fewer lands (the Lilja 3 groove barrels are very good for high velocity cartriges)

Also ball powder, gentler leade angles and gain twists assist if your pushing the envelope....

I know Pete shoots a .243AI at the minute and "ass u me" that he intends to replace like for like.

I tell you what though my Archer barrel shoots in the .1's and costs half what most cut barrel's do.

I do wish you guys with barrels that shoot in the 'ones' would come along to a benchrest match and astound us. Next year, the UKBRA will be altering the rules so that there are just two classes for 100yds benchrest - 6PPC HV and anything else.

Come on guys - show us what your rifles will really do.

Vince

I will pop up for a BR comp. I have only just started this target shooting gig after shooting out in the field and what stops me is the "unknown". (Also my shift pattern means I get limited weekends off)

Can I shoot off bi-pod? is there a weight limit? etc

I do wish you guys with barrels that shoot in the 'ones' would come along to a benchrest match and astound us. Next year, the UKBRA will be altering the rules so that there are just two classes for 100yds benchrest - 6PPC HV and anything else.

Come on guys - show us what your rifles will really do.

Vince

Hi

I think you maybe plesently surprized there are some very good lads with very good rifles out there,Iam being curioulsy drawn to doing some BR shooting I enjoyed 600 yards last Sunday at Bisley

cant work out how its all scored ???

I will pop up for a BR comp. I have only just started this target shooting gig after shooting out in the field and what stops me is the "unknown". (Also my shift pattern means I get limited weekends off)

Can I shoot off bi-pod? is there a weight limit? etc

No weight limit - yes, you can shoot off your bi-pod - or any rest you like. We have deliberately removed all the rules to try and get a few of you guys competing with those super-accurate rifles. You will compete 'like with like' - the full-house custom benchguns will be in another class.

We hope to get a few of you guys interested.

Vince

No weight limit - yes, you can shoot off your bi-pod - or any rest you like. We have deliberately removed all the rules to try and get a few of you guys competing with those super-accurate rifles. You will compete 'like with like' - the full-house custom benchguns will be in another class.

Vince

Vince

As a BR virgin I am wondering what a good group size would need to be in order to compete with the regulars. I am making the assumption that 3 or 5 shot groups are what are shot and then the calibre size is subtracted?? What would a non custom quality rifle be expected to achieve??

Thanks

Vince

As a BR virgin I am wondering what a good group size would need to be in order to compete with the regulars. I am making the assumption that 3 or 5 shot groups are what are shot and then the calibre size is subtracted?? What would a non custom quality rifle be expected to achieve??

Thanks

Gazzar,

I always tell new shooters that the first objective is to agg under an inch - i.e. the average of five, 5-shot groups.

You will be looking for 5-shot groups around 0.5 to 0.75 inches to be competitive but benchrest competition is no different from any other shooting competition - you need to beat the other guy. Conditions will always influence group sizes.

But really, a day shooting benchrest is all about meeting like-minded shooters who love accurate rifles.

Please come and give it a try.

Vince

Good idea Vince!!!

Got to be some way of drumming up interest in one of the most fantastic sports around????

Come on lads come and have a go,,, you will be suprised at how much we all can learn from benchrest,,,

I have competed now for three years and really enjoyed every second!!!!!

Met some really nice people and made some good friends,,,

Vince, sorry that i missed the last comp??, laid up with an ear infection at the moment,,,,,

Darrel

Vince

what constitutes a full house custom bench gun ???

what constitutes a full house custom bench gun ???

Basically, what everyone shoots in short range benchrest - 6PPC chambering, tight neck, stock complying to WBSF rules, max. 13.5lbs weight, three-inch flat fore-end etc. If someone turns up with a true benchrest rifle, they will shoot in the benchrest class - otherwise 'any rifle' class.

You could have a nice 6PPC foxing rig built on a BAT action but we wouldn't put you in the benchrest class - it would be 'any rifle'.

We are trying to encourage competition but we don't want to p*** off anyone by putting you up against a proper benchrest rig. Hopefully however, some of you will inlict humiliation on us..........

Vince

Good idea Vince!!!

Got to be some way of drumming up interest in one of the most fantastic sports around????

Come on lads come and have a go,,, you will be suprised at how much we all can learn from benchrest,,,

I have competed now for three years and really enjoyed every second!!!!!

Met some really nice people and made some good friends,,,

Vince, sorry that i missed the last comp??, laid up with an ear infection at the moment,,,,,

Darrel

Darrel,

Congrats on wining the 2011 UKBRA Factory Sporter Championship. You also shot small group with a 0.224 incher and best agg with 0.364 inches (average of five, 5-shot groups).

All that with a pretty standard bit of kit.

Hopefully, you might have a bit more opposition next year IF we can get 'em to come along and shoot!

Cheers

Vince

Basically, what everyone shoots in short range benchrest - 6PPC chambering, tight neck, stock complying to WBSF rules, max. 13.5lbs weight, three-inch flat fore-end etc. If someone turns up with a true benchrest rifle, they will shoot in the benchrest class - otherwise 'any rifle' class.

You could have a nice 6PPC foxing rig built on a BAT action but we wouldn't put you in the benchrest class - it would be 'any rifle'.

We are trying to encourage competition but we don't want to p*** off anyone by putting you up against a proper benchrest rig. Hopefully however, some of you will inlict humiliation on us..........

Vince

thanks for that,the more I hear the more it appeals to me,what distances do you shoot at

Custom single shot action - any of the custom makers would suit.

Premium barrel.

Premium trigger

BR or F Class stock.

Telescopic sight

Sub 1/2 MOA (at least) accuracy.

thanks for that,the more I hear the more it appeals to me,what distances do you shoot at

We shoot benchrest at 100, 600 and 1000 yards. All distances have covered firing-points with proper concrete benches so we are out of the weather - it does occasionally rain at Diggle!

Have a look at the UKBRA website www.ukbra.co.uk

Vince

Archived