25 wssm

nuttyspaniel

Im interested in this calibre as Im an avid fan on the 25-06 but would like summit with a smaller action. Now there was a fad a few years ago with the wssm's and of the peg guns could be sought and bought. Now after several days of trawling through the internet its apparent winchester and browning dont make these rifles anymore. So Im considering trying to put 1 together myself and over the next year buy components for the build. Now I wont have 2.5k for a good proper custom job. My plan is look for a rifled tube (un-chambered), stock etc when finance allows and as cheap as possible to fit whatever dissposable I have at that time aswell as dies, brass etc. Now for an action what should I be looking for? calibre, make etc.

Oh and its good to be back. How you all doing?

Im interested in this calibre as Im an avid fan on the 25-06 but would like summit with a smaller action. Now there was a fad a few years ago with the wssm's and of the peg guns could be sought and bought. Now after several days of trawling through the internet its apparent winchester and browning dont make these rifles anymore. So Im considering trying to put 1 together myself and over the next year buy components for the build. Now I wont have 2.5k for a good proper custom job. My plan is look for a rifled tube (un-chambered), stock etc when finance allows and as cheap as possible to fit whatever dissposable I have at that time aswell as dies, brass etc. Now for an action what should I be looking for? calibre, make etc.

Oh and its good to be back. How you all doing?

The only thing I remember about the 25WSM is that damning paper written in Varmint Hunter some 4-5 years ago. The author couldn't kill a koyote at 40 yards, because the bullets wounldn't hold. Probably sounded the death knell of the cartridge as evidenced from the manufacturers stopping producing it...If you are after a short action .25, why don't you try the .25-08, or whatever they call it, which sounds like a better (and cheaper) proposition? Cheaper brass, better actions (and more actions available) plus, perhaps, a way to avoid all the pitfalls of the trully awful .25WSM?

my thoughts anyway...

Finman

The only thing I remember about the 25WSM is that damning paper written in Varmint Hunter some 4-5 years ago. The author couldn't kill a koyote at 40 yards, because the bullets wounldn't hold. Probably sounded the death knell of the cartridge as evidenced from the manufacturers stopping producing it...If you are after a short action .25, why don't you try the .25-08, or whatever they call it, which sounds like a better (and cheaper) proposition? Cheaper brass, better actions (and more actions available) plus, perhaps, a way to avoid all the pitfalls of the trully awful .25WSM?

my thoughts anyway...

Finman

I have looked at the 25-08, but there are no dies etc. A bit out my league I think. cheers

I have looked at the 25-08, but there are no dies etc. A bit out my league I think. cheers

The 25-08 dies are available from Huntington Die Specialties (RCBS). Offsetting the price of the dies is the comfort in knowing that you can always form brass from readily available 308 Winchester. Which reminds me. I agree with Cris: feeding is a serious issue with these cartridges. They do not feed well. I'm sure you will work is out though. If you were in the United States you could get inexpensive WSSM brass for a while. Those dealers who still carry it are happy to make a good price to get it off of their shelves.~Andrew

How about a 25-6.5x47?

Only .007" difference in bullet diameter so necking the 6.5x47 Lapua Brass down should be a doddle.

Please correct if i am wrong but just use 6.5x47 neck Die with 25cal Bushing

Should zip a 100 grain Bullet at a very respectable velocity and be a Tackdriver.

I too run a 25-06 and have always fancied the little 250-3000 A.I. One of P.O. Ackley`s favourites and most efficient.

Nick.

"Good thinking, Spencer"

Necking down the 47 slightly shouldn't be a biggie and would be less nasty on barrel life than the 6 Hot version. Only other issue is the very limited projectile range.

Chris-NZ

"Good thinking, Spencer"

Necking down the 47 slightly shouldn't be a biggie and would be less nasty on barrel life than the 6 Hot version. Only other issue is the very limited projectile range.

Chris-NZ

Chris.

Certainly not the choice of projectiles offered in some other Calibers but i would not call it "very limited". All the Majors offer a decent range. Ballistic Tips, Partitions,Accubond, TTSX,Berger,several Sierras and Hornady amongst others. I dont think anyone would struggle to find one that worked:) .

Nick.

P.S.

Is your in box full?

The 25-08 dies are available from Huntington Die Specialties (RCBS). Offsetting the price of the dies is the comfort in knowing that you can always form brass from readily available 308 Winchester. Which reminds me. I agree with Cris: feeding is a serious issue with these cartridges. They do not feed well. I'm sure you will work is out though. If you were in the United States you could get inexpensive WSSM brass for a while. Those dealers who still carry it are happy to make a good price to get it off of their shelves.~Andrew

That does seem a good idea. And a cheaper alternative.

from the 6.5x47 idea, look at .260 brass and dies. They will form .25 souper. Just the price of a reamer.

I can also note than PM's are not working quite right. I can't send knew pms to some members of late.

ATB

Dave

Scotch Egg

I agree mate, 6.5/260 brass is the way to go when needing parent Brass for a 25cal Wildcat.

Tried to PM Chris but would not allow me, i have mentioned it to Admin.

Nick.

I use a 243WSSM, does what it says on the box, throws a 100gn bullet 150/200fps faster than a standard 243, feeding is no problem if you know how to tweak the mag’ but in fairness I couldn’t recommend one over a standard 308 based cartridge, be it a 25 souper or 260, the brass needs too much work and them short fat cases will never fed as smoothly as a 308 based case, the 270 bolt feels soo smooth compared to the short fat ones.

ATB

B-b

Archived