6.5x47 Load development and N140

Dan534

Hello, Have just returned from the first proper day of load development for my 6.5x47 Lapua AI AE Mk3 and wondered if people could advise on the results below, any advice is welcome.

I loaded up several 123gr Sceanar loads using varget and Vit N140.

This rifle has 30 rounds through the barrel and is still settling in. As you can see I was consistently throwing one shot out of every group :mad: , I believe this to be me and my position as I was shooting of a bench with Harris bi-pod and rear bag, and the target was slightly lower than the firing point, not as steady as it could have been.

If it had not been for me dropping a shot out of every group the groups would have been respectable, the 4 rounds out of 38 gr load measured 0.097 inch center to center.

TgtGfx.jpg

As you can see the N140 surprisingly shot the best. All loads are just off the lands.

The velocity figures for 38gr of N140 are

1) 2865

2) 2882

3) 2869

4) 2886

5) 2883

ES-21

This load showed no pressure signs and easy extraction so easy on brass but the ES seems high.

The velocity figures for 38.5gr N140 are

1) 2903

2) 2899

3) 2903

4) 2898

5) 2900

ES-5

This load showed slight cratering of primers on 2 cases but no hard extraction. The ES is brilliant, however I'll take this as my max load and dont plan on using it for that reason.

I'm wondering of there is a node in between the 38 and 38.5gr loads. I was going to load up some more rounds at 38.3gr or play with seating depths.

Any thought???

Dan.

which shot is the one flier (first would be easy to explain)

Looking at the targets some have one "flier" to the left - were you perfectly aligned / was there a slight breeze / you moving the stock slightly as you squeeze the trigger,,,,,,,,,

I would look at .3 grain increment changes on the loads.

Varget has always worked for me where others have failed with this calibre.....

etc

etc

Nice groups by the way :)

Looks like the varget has given you a vertical fliers and the N140 lateral fliers. Infact, the N140 groups are distinctly less 'tall' than the varget ones.

......but I don't think there's anything to proceed with here- you say you were unstable; the group dispersions could be entirely about that, and nothing to do with the loads.

If you change loads to chase data from poorly shot targets you'll just end up chasing your tail. I'd do nothing before I'd repeated the shoot - but got stable :)

I'd hazard an intuitive guess though: Your centre bull is the load to stick with.

It was the 3rd or 4th shot on the n140 that the flier occurred. I was surprised with the varget, I was expecting it to shoot. I've not tried any other bullets as the scenars seem pretty popular. I thinks it position now thinking about it. I had similar fliers when I was testing my 6mm br from the same point, it now shoots perfectly fine with the same load.

New rifle, new trigger, exited, slight unstable platform, = odd flier.

Agree centre load looks most promising.

Which primers are you using? CCI 450's are favoured generally.

My 6.5x47 hated Scenars the same as a few others, I now use 120 Berger's or Amax.

using CCI 450's. If it does the same thing again next outing I will try different bullets.

I suspect BD and Ronin are correct, but there were a lot of people who were having trouble with Scenars (European) and no issues at all with US bullets, apparently Scenars are a nats smidge smaller in diameter than Hornady/Sierra/Berger....

Archived