Archer

andybrock

Well after months and months of deliberating and mithering people about what to get I've finally got an Archer add on, been trying over the last couple of nights and I'm impressed.

One hitch I found with it (after the first shot) is that when I'm in the shooting position the laser is mightily close to my forehead :o now sorted this by mounting it on the scope.

I've got it on a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 x 50 and have the scope set at 12x mag and the picture is very clear and sharp.

Hope to get out properly with it over the next few nights so I should have a better idea of it's performance.

You made a good choice,What grade of tube did you select,been using a archer grade c for a couple of years,takes a bit of getting use to,especially when you try and attach it to the scope at night when a fox comes galloping to the call. :)

You made a good choice,What grade of tube did you select,been using a archer grade c for a couple of years,takes a bit of getting use to,especially when you try and attach it to the scope at night when a fox comes galloping to the call. :)

Its a A/B grade just one tiny spot about 10 o'clock, I have it permanently fixed to the scope and use a Yukon Ranger for spotting. I would imagine it can be a bit fidley when a fox is coming fast!!

I don't suppose you know what size the "o" ring is on the bayonet?

Andy

Andy how do you find the yukon ranger for spotting thanks

Fantastic, but a good laser or IR lamp is a must, the inbuilt IR are good for close range but to pick up eye shine at 400 yds+ an additional laser is needed. I've actually swapped lasers with the Archer I use a N1000ap (from Clive Ward) on the Archer and the quantum firefly on the ranger. I also use the ranger hooked up to a small monitor.

Andy

ANDY thats good if you get a good image on 12x i had an archer and struggled with it to get a decent sight picture no matter what scope i used i even took it over to show julian@starlight and he sorted it but by then i had lost confidence in it so it went.i saved up my pennies and got a pvs14 which is the bees knees as far as im concerned,now get out there and get some vermin sorted!

ANDY thats good if you get a good image on 12x i had an archer and struggled with it to get a decent sight picture no matter what scope i used i even took it over to show julian@starlight and he sorted it but by then i had lost confidence in it so it went.i saved up my pennies and got a pvs14 which is the bees knees as far as im concerned,now get out there and get some vermin sorted!

Gary,

PVS14 was my first choice after having a look at Barrelsniffers off here but I didn't really know where to get one and I didn't fancy parting with 2.5K to someone I didn't know with zero back up so with Starlight less than an hours drive away I went there

Been out twice with it now and I havn't seen a bloody fox anywhere I think it must be jinxed!!!!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Got a question for the Archer boys.

I have to change the diopter on my scope for NV use. So if I then want to use my rifle in the day I have to reset it to keep the crosshairs clear. Hence why I use Leupolds with long eyebells. Does anybody have the same problem or is it just me?

Got a question for the Archer boys.

I have to change the diopter on my scope for NV use. So if I then want to use my rifle in the day I have to reset it to keep the crosshairs clear. Hence why I use Leupolds with long eyebells. Does anybody have the same problem or is it just me?

When I got the archer, I must admit that I didn't fancy buggering about re setting my scopes every time I changed for day to NV so the best way I found was to get another cheaper scope for the archer ( Bushnell elite 6500) and keep the Nightforce for day work.

Both scopes have Leupold QR mounts and keep their zero very well.

Andy

How you getting on with it andy..you seen any increase in the fox no,s shot ? I'm due home on wed..cant wait get back out.

Mick

I'm lovin it Mick :) I wouldn't say that I've shot more foxes but I've definitely caught up with a few lamp shy ones which I've been after. Shot 10 for 10 shots since I got it but the range has only been 75 - 120 yds, NV takes a bit of getting used to especially range estimation, the last fox I shot I thought was around 70 yards away but when I went to collect it I found it was 110 yds.

I had been using it with the scope on 12x but I've found that 8x is optimum for me with the N1000ap on it's lowest setting this gives me good clarity and a good FOV.

Andy

Archived