I'm new to this longer range stuff, but I'm already hooked. A friend and I have just spent a day with John of WMS at the Sweet Lamb complex near my home in Mid Wales. John started with the usual safety briefing and an introduction to the layout of the ranges, then we were off to start pulling (oops, I mean squeeseing)the trigger. There was however one slight problem, our Welsh weather. Wind was gusting between 20 and 25mph with the odd shower thrown in to make us feel at home. I've never needed to 'dial in' on my 223 for the foxes, or my 308 for deer that are my normal targets, but then I wouldn't have ventured to shoot in the weather we were having, and I can't see as far as 500 yrds, but John soon had us hitting stuff that looked with the naked eye to be in the next county. I never do plan to aim at my usual live quarry at such distances, but the dicipline of reaching out beyond my normal range can only make me a better shot. A great day, I'll be going back. Now, were is that drop chart. Ionic

It's a great range, and John's a great fella, but WMS is pricing itself out of the market I think.

I think a few of us have started to feel like they're taking the p'ss with their charging scheme - no real discount for groups, you may as well turn up as a 3 as turn up as a 10, cos it'll cost you roughly the same per person - so no point in going as a group. I don't get it! :wacko:

Have you stepped back to consider the cost per shot you've paid? Cost of ammo and transport plus range fee divided by the number of shots you fired?

Might be £2 per shot as a local; those of us coming from further are looking at £4 a shot once you add in petrol and accommodation.

If I lived near it I'd be spending the range fee on buying some targets of my own and chatting up a local farmer. :lol::)

It's a great range, and John's a great fella, but WMS is pricing itself out of the market I think.

I think a few of us have started to feel like they're taking the p'ss with their charging scheme - no real discount for groups, you may as well turn up as a 3 as turn up as a 10, cos it'll cost you roughly the same per person - so no point in going as a group. I don't get it! :wacko:

Have you stepped back to consider the cost per shot you've paid? Cost of ammo and transport plus range fee divided by the number of shots you fired?

Might be £2 per shot as a local; those of us coming from further are looking at £4 a shot once you add in petrol and accommodation.

If I lived near it I'd be spending the range fee on buying some targets of my own and chatting up a local farmer. :lol::)

+1

these are hard times for lots of us and the cost of the one hobby we have is getting out of (most of) our reach.... I am lucky in that I have up to 600yds to shoot but I know that lots of folk are not...

best wishes,

Finman

Good to hear you are extending your range and knowledge. John is a good guy and delivers any coaching in a good, logical way. If you haven'y got good charts I suggest you speak to Brown Dog, his charts work. WMS has to be one of the best UK facilities going and its very satisfying to hear the ring of a gong in the far distance. As for cost, you pays your money and takes your choice...or not - you decide.

Good to hear you are extending your range and knowledge. John is a good guy and delivers any coaching in a good, logical way. If you haven'y got good charts I suggest you speak to Brown Dog, his charts work. WMS has to be one of the best UK facilities going and its very satisfying to hear the ring of a gong in the far distance. As for cost, you pays your money and takes your choice...or not - you decide.

Thanks MJR. Yes, I thought I might contact Brown Dog because although I have drop figures for my 223 out to 500yrds, I need some accurate windage numbers. However, I also rather fancy having my own software so that I can 'play.' I fully understand the cost element, but fortunatly, I don't live far from Sweet Lamb, so there are no travel or accomadation issues, and as much as I would like to, I won't be popping in there once a week (pity). Ping!

Some great shooting at WMS; a pretty unique place. ..and yes, group pricing is currently unattractive, it offers no substantial 'incentive' to go as a group- which is a shame. I've chatted with Andrew about this, but I don't think there's likely to be any change in the offing. Which, again, is a shame.

Just thought I'd post this;

Presentation1-1.jpg

This is someone new to the sport a month or 2 ago, about to hit a 700m+ floating 4litre milk jug, firing a wrong-handed rifle at a 10 deg down angle in a huge uphill wind. Good stuff. :)

Some great shooting at WMS; a pretty unique place. ..and yes, group pricing is currently unattractive, it offers no substantial 'incentive' to go as a group- which is a shame. I've chatted with Andrew about this, but I don't think there's likely to be any change in the offing. Which, again, is a shame.

Just thought I'd post this;

Presentation1-1.jpg

This is someone new to the sport a month or 2 ago, about to hit a 700m+ floating 4litre milk jug, firing a wrong-handed rifle at a 10 deg down angle in a huge uphill wind. Good stuff. :)

I want to go back already! And, although I only wanted to shoot my 223 at longer distances, I now fancy working up a load for my 308. Look out, here we go.

Hi Dave

Good to see that the long range shooting is grabbing your interest but in essence the same principles apply to those that applied in the 10m indoor target shooting you also excelled at.

You have all the facilities you need at home except perhaps for a spotter, sweet lamb is there if you need it but you dont have to count on it.

Colin

Hi Dave

Good to see that the long range shooting is grabbing your interest but in essence the same principles apply to those that applied in the 10m indoor target shooting you also excelled at.

You have all the facilities you need at home except perhaps for a spotter, sweet lamb is there if you need it but you dont have to count on it.

Colin

Yes Collin, you are of cause right regarding the basic principles, but there is something extra about peering into the far distance at a potential target, and with the wind trying to catch you out that seems to add that extra 'edge' to the challenge.

Archived