Just taken delivery of a pair of Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-Y Binoculars. I had previously had a pair of "Issue" RNRMRA Leica's that I reluctantly had to return when I moved on from a post associated with them; they were 8x42 Geovid's. For my own pair I opted to up the magnification to x10 accepting that the wobble may be more noticeable but I am happy to report that I've not noticed any perceived increase and am happy with the increased mag; was tempted by the 15x56 but they would need to be properly rested to be useable IMHO. Got a good deal with a multiple purchase and they came in at just under £1500. Tried them out this evening in very low light conditions and have to say that they are very good.

These things interest me - very nice item, congratulations on taking the plunge. I remember when the first Geovid 8x56 came out (mid-'90s?), priced IIRC in the States at about $2500, I lusted after a set... Must admit, I'd never splash out that kind of cash on a laser bino unless I had silly amounts of spare money - right now I'm preparing to spend lots more than that on a new bathroom but that adds to the general quality of daily life, and maybe to the value of my home, so it's justifiable. But if I did, I'd go for the 8x.

Your comment about tolerating the additional wobble is significant. I've been interested in optics for a long time, as a photographer and a fan of good glass, and many years ago I was in retail selling cameras and binoculars etc. Long ago I decided there was a very important trade-off between quality and ability to use that quality; the higher the magnification, the less easy it is to use that magnification since everyone has a degree of natural "wobble" and if you can't hold a binocular steady then it matters not whether it's Leica, Zeiss, or an el-cheapo job made in China. So your comment about the 15X model is spot-on: people who think they can hand-hold binocs of 12x or 15x are kidding themselves since they need a solid support.

My personal opinion is that 7x and 8x optics are optimal for varminting at normal distances. I use an 8x56 bino, big & hefty Steiner, and it's as much magnification as I would ever want to use without a special support; my rangefinder is the Leica 1200, and even though its magnification is 7x it's less easy to hold steady as it's much smaller & lighter. It would be really handy to combine these functions - but I wouldn't go higher than 8x mag. And I wouldn't go for a cheap option either, having had my fingers burned with a cheap Bushnell laser that packed up...

One day maybe I'll have a Geovid, ideally the 8x56; in the meantime I'd be interested to hear updates on your experience of using the 10x Geovid in the field.

Regards, Tony

I must say, I think 10x is the optimal mag for sporting use in the field; I've had a pair of 10x42 ELs for many years...all the advice from pals was to get 8x for steadiness reasons; but I used 7x42 at work and knew that I always craved a bit more mag - after all, the purpose of binos is to see stuff that's far away, no point in having them if they don't do that.

Stability? I find them fine; but if I'm really wanting to concentrate on something, I'll rest them, on my stalking sticks, on a fence post, on a grassy tussock etc; if you're not near any of that, plant your rifle vertically on the ground, take a knee, and use the side of the barrel as a rest.

If 10x works for you, fine. I too will use anything solid that's convenient, such as a gatepost, and I've used that rifle trick before now. Usually, I'm seated, with elbows rested on my knees, and binoculars clamped between my hands and the long peak of a baseball-type cap - the latter makes a big difference I find.

I've said before, i think, that if I had to start again I'd give serious consideration to a really good 7x50 binocular such as the Fujinon FMTR-SX, one of the best I've ever tried: smaller & lighter than 8x56 and just as bright or even brighter, slightly easier to hold rock steady. Not sure if either Leica or Zeiss make a 7x combo laser/binocular.

Tony

I have had a pair for a couple of years now and they are just prefect. Best optics I have seen and having the range finder built in takes all the guess work out of it. Not a cheap option but I would buy another pair in a heart beat.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a pair of the 10x Geovids for about 3 seasons now, glass is not quite as sharp as the Swaro 8.5x42 EL'S I traded for them but the advantage of having your range finder built in outways the small difference.

What sort of distance can you range deer at Boarhunter? In broad daylight my Geovids struggle much past 375yds, at dusk they'll do about 500yds but they won't range anything at anywhere near the 1200 yds they're supposed to be good for and that includes a perfect reflector in low light, eg a white gable end of a house. Tried new batteries but no difference,interested to hear how yours do?

Mike

In broad daylight my Geovids struggle much past 375yds, at dusk they'll do about 500yds but they won't range anything at anywhere near the 1200 yds they're supposed to be good for and that includes a perfect reflector in low light, eg a white gable end of a house. Tried new batteries but no difference,interested to hear how yours do?

Mike

Great purchase John, I agree and for my requirements the 10x are ideal and as BD said theres always something around to use if a little more stability is required.

Mike, my first pair were returned for identical reasons to which you have stated, the subsequent pair operate as specced, and they couldn't change them quick enough, which suggested to me it was a probelm they knew about, but never confirmed..........!!!!

Steve

I must say, I think 10x is the optimal mag for sporting use in the field; I've had a pair of 10x42 ELs for many years...all the advice from pals was to get 8x for steadiness reasons; but I used 7x42 at work and knew that I always craved a bit more mag - after all, the purpose of binos is to see stuff that's far away, no point in having them if they don't do that.

Stability? I find them fine; but if I'm really wanting to concentrate on something, I'll rest them, on my stalking sticks, on a fence post, on a grassy tussock etc; if you're not near any of that, plant your rifle vertically on the ground, take a knee, and use the side of the barrel as a rest.

Re above, Are there any opticians on the forum who can explain in laymans language why some people can manage the higher mag binos and others struggle with them,

Thanks

Great purchase John, I agree and for my requirements the 10x are ideal and as BD said theres always something around to use if a little more stability is required.

Mike, my first pair were returned for identical reasons to which you have stated, the subsequent pair operate as specced, and they couldn't change them quick enough, which suggested to me it was a probelm they knew about, but never confirmed..........!!!!

Steve

Thanks for that Steve,

but what do you recon my chances are after 3years?? Slim to nil I would suggest! Suppose it's worth a quick email to Leica but don't fancy sending them away now that Bambie season is with us again.

Mike

I've had a pair of the 10x Geovids ...In broad daylight my Geovids struggle much past 375yds, at dusk they'll do about 500yds but they won't range anything at anywhere near the 1200 yds they're supposed to...

Mike

There is something -seriously- wrong with them in my opinion. Mine have no trouble getting readings at 600yds in any conditions or against near any background.

I once bought some of the earlier Leica 800 rangefinders and they too were seriously faulty. I send them back and swapped for some "1000yd" Bushnells. Turns out they were definitely faulty from later performance reports various guys gave me on the 800 model. Shows even top brands can be faulty at times.

I suggest get them checked out properly

Chris-NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to a nice Lady at Leica customer services today, who assured she would ring back very shortly once she'd checked with someone who knew more about Geovids.......

Still waiting and am heading off on hols Sunday so will be another 2 weeks minimum before I get back to her. Will be interesting to see what they eventually suggest.

Mike

Spoke to a nice Lady at Leica customer services today, who assured she would ring back very shortly once she'd checked with someone who knew more about Geovids.......

Still waiting and am heading off on hols Sunday so will be another 2 weeks minimum before I get back to her. Will be interesting to see what they eventually suggest.

Mike

At least the ball is in motion Mike (Hopefully) Please let us know what they find.

• 3 weeks later...

Back off hols, spent another small(not so small actually) fortune in Bass Pro again! The nice lady from Leica arranged to have my Leica's lifted and posted to Germany foc. The problem may or may not be under warranty, they wouldn't

commit till they inspected the bins. So at the minute I'm waiting to see if they can fix the problem? and how much it's going to cost me! Keep you posted Steve....

Mike

An even nicer Lady in Germany has informed me that they are going to service my bins and repair the laser/sensor

free of charge, happy days. Been thinking of going back to Swarovski but the professionalism of Leica customer

services have definitely convinced me to stay Leica from here on in.

It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by a manufacturer/ agent for a change because of late I've had nothing but that which promotes growth and vigour service from several of the UK's major gun trade suppliers,the worst of whom has been... won't name them as it's not fair to damn a whole company because of one ###### but what a ###### he is!

Anyway rant over and can't wait to try the bins out when they are returned.

• 6 months later...

An even nicer Lady in Germany has informed me that they are going to service my bins and repair the laser/sensor

free of charge, happy days. Been thinking of going back to Swarovski but the professionalism of Leica customer

services have definitely convinced me to stay Leica from here on in.

It's nice to be pleasantly surprised by a manufacturer/ agent for a change because of late I've had nothing but that which promotes growth and vigour service from several of the UK's major gun trade suppliers,the worst of whom has been... won't name them as it's not fair to damn a whole company because of one ###### but what a ###### he is!

Anyway rant over and can't wait to try the bins out when they are returned.

Just wanted to add to this, i always deal directly with the country of origin (Germany or Austria) when i need to send something back or require parts. In England they seem to think its some sort of honour for you to deal with them while their after sales service is generally shite

Martin

Archived