Infrared sky screens CED millennium 2

I'm fed up with getting errorreadings due to bad light with my CED chrono, but I'm loathed to pay out £80 for a proper set of infrared screens. I'm sure I read some where about someone who attached LED lights from the top screens, has anyone tried this?

I'm thinking of two of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/6-led-track-light-508327 if of course it fits ( why the firk can't they give dimensions! )

Or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Operated-caravan-motorhome-camper/dp/B0057V2TBK

Any input welcome, Matt do you have any Heath Robinson ideas you care to share? :lol:

- thats what i use the led from CED ,and never have a problem, it works every time ,theirs nothing worse than driving all the way to the range and the crono dont work

Buy an Oehler - cry once mine has Never let me down and I use it in any weather....

Grant are you saying that you use the proper infrared screens or you're a cheap skate like me and use a LED light but attached to the normal screens?

Andy, if I were doing it again I would buy the Oehler, I have no complaint with the CED Millennium other than the lighting issues.

i bought the infa red kit when i got the crono from ced ,mines works every time ,the only time it hasnt worked is when i have it to close to the rifle the blast stops it from working ,i set mine up 25 ft away and it works a treat

I've never had problems with my original CED Millennium chrono, always had good consistent performance in various lighting conditions including very bright sunshine that has in the past foxed other brands of chrono. But in an ideal world I'd only use the chrono under cover, with artificial light above the skyscreens: I don't think there's anything mysterious or special about the light source, just needs to be even and consistent. I'd be happy to do it myself, if and when I ever achieve my dream of having my own land on which to build my own load-testing setup....

Tony

i bought the infa red kit when i got the crono from ced ,mines works every time ,the only time it hasnt worked is when i have it to close to the rifle the blast stops it from working ,i set mine up 25 ft away and it works a treat

Same here, would buy another one if someone shoots mine!

I have just ordered two battery operated LED strip lights that I will velcro to the sky screen, I'm not sure if it will work but if it doesn't I will only be £15 out of pocket.

Or another way of looking at it is, £15 on top of the infra red screens price if it doesn't work!!

Hope it works for you....

Or another way of looking at it is, £15 on top of the infra red screens price if it doesn't work!!

Hope it works for you....

That made me chuckle, and they accuse me of being half glass empty :lol:

• 1 month later...

LED is a LED - A major assumption made here.

The CED screens are INFRA RED LEDS.

You can buy these easily enough and construct the screens without much bother.

I bought my screens with the chrono but would not worry about having make them.

One other thing to consider, you do need something to diffuse the 'light'

Archived