308 F T/R bullet weight

maltbuck

Most popular bullet weight seems to be the 155's.

But I was wondering what results those people that were trying the heavier 170's and 180's were getting and whether they would be staying with the heavies or re-barreling and going back to the 155's.

Also for the 155's and the heavies what manufacturer people were favouring?

ATB

MB

MB,

If you move away from the 155s, go to the 185 Berger. If you want to go heavier - 210 berger or 208 A Max maybe but you will need maybe a 1 in 10 twist.

For 155 bullets - Lapua or the new Sirra or Berger's 155.5

Vince

There does seem to be a fashion for the heavier bullets, the 185VLD in particular. Berger rate these for 1:12 too!

I used the 168VLD for a while but later found the Berger 155.5 fullbore to be an outstanding bullet @ 1000yds in my 1:12 but I now refuse to pay the price for the Bergers, they are just too expensive so am trying out the new sierra 155 (Palma Match 2156C)which is looking very good so far. A massive improvement on the old 155SMK and I will find out how they compare with the 155.5's tomorrow at Bisley.

Rup

I used 155 scenars personally very usable up to 1000 yds with a shed load of Vhit N140 up thier backside. There does seem to be a trend towards heavier stuff presently but the 155's had a better BC than the 168's . Ultimatly its what you barrel likes aint no use in putting up with anything less than great accuraccy competitively but its also good to have one load for all ranges and you might struggle with the heavier stuff keeping away from that transonic zone at longer ranges. Always worth having a sneeky peek in the top guys ammo box ;)

185 Berger's work nicely with 1:12

I have never managed to get a 168 Scenar to work beyond 800, they are difficult to drive fast enough, the 155's however work very well with a good dose of N540 behind them, I moly coat mine. I have a few box's of the 155.5's but I am yet to try them.

I used both Sierra 2155 & 2156's last sunday at bisley at 600 yards.

The 2155's gave me a 48 v 5.

The 2156's a 50 v 9.

Nuff said..

How far out have you pushed the 2156's?

I have just switched from the 155.5Full-bore to the SMK155-2156.

Performance in my rifle (Savage FTR) is almost identical with both bullets. Both show a preference

for 46gr varget (pressure signs start at 27.5gr - in MY rifle), both chrono at 2960 with 46gr and at 900 yards the SMK requires half a moa more elevation (25.5mins) though this could be down to atmospheric differences.

I am very pleased with the 2156 so far and at half the price of the Berger, I will be sticking with them and further refining this load.

Our next shoot at Bisley will hopefully be at 1200yds so looking forward to seeing how they perform. On paper the Bergers are still just supersonic at 1200 whereas the SMK's appear to go trans at around 1150ish. We will have to wait and see!

Rup

• 1 year later...

There does seem to be a fashion for the heavier bullets, the 185VLD in particular. Berger rate these for 1:12 too!

I used the 168VLD for a while but later found the Berger 155.5 fullbore to be an outstanding bullet @ 1000yds in my 1:12 but I now refuse to pay the price for the Bergers, they are just too expensive so am trying out the new sierra 155 (Palma Match 2156C)which is looking very good so far. A massive improvement on the old 155SMK and I will find out how they compare with the 155.5's tomorrow at Bisley.

Rup

Rup you stay with the Sierra New Palma get yourself a Hoover bullet pointer and you will be a half minute inside all 155gr including the 155gr Bergers at 1k

• 1 month later...

I hope to be shooting 155gn Lapua scenars out to 1000yds next year. I currently use Vit N140 in my other toy and have shot out to 500yds (with a 20") barrel.

The new toy will be a 30" proper FT/R job. Any ideas how much N140 to stay supersonic at 1000? 50000 cup is ca 44.5gn in my load chart.

Thanks for any info.

Newkid -_-

I hope to be shooting 155gn Lapua scenars out to 1000yds next year. I currently use Vit N140 in my other toy and have shot out to 500yds (with a 20") barrel.

The new toy will be a 30" proper FT/R job. Any ideas how much N140 to stay supersonic at 1000? 50000 cup is ca 44.5gn in my load chart.

Thanks for any info.

Newkid -_-

You should find a suitable load with Vit 140/155gn bullets and your 30 inch barrel. You will need to be looking for an MV of around 2950 fps to stay supersonic. All rifles/barrels are different so I'm reluctant to quote a load but work up slowly in 0.3gn increments - monitoring pressure and of course accuracy.

Archived