Choices

I have a Tikka M590 in 222 I've just started to use, I bought it as a donner for a rebuild in the future as it's mint!

I have a Douglas stainless .22 cal unchambered tube with 1-12 twist

I'd like to have something a little different to the norm, will be used for rabbits and foxes and needs to be good for 300-400 yards something fast and flat would be fun

What's out there and a little different to 222 223 223ai etc?

Atb Richard

Hi Snowz if it is any help to you i purchased a 20tac from dave (6mmbr) on this site few months ago after shooting a .223 for some years very reluctant to change from .223 i loved that calibre and shot a lot or vermin with it but i can safely admit after now using 20tac for a few months i love it and it is so accurate i cant beleive it and so smooth to shoot as for range i shot a crow first shot and done it again and again 430yrds the rifle is superb i would highly recommend this calibre as a first class vermin round the rifle was built by (neil mckillop) well done first class job

I'd echo the recommendations for 20Tac - fast & flat, perfect for the range you mention - but you have a .22 tube. Something different? 22BR has more legs than the .223-sized cases but is not as big & hungry as 22-250, and will reach out easily to your stated distances - and beyond. Great accuracy/ballistics.

Tony

Guest dasherman

You would need the bolt face opened out for a BR, if you want to go that route better to buy a .22/250 in the first place as a donner then you get the correct mag as well. .22 Fireball is do-able on the action you have but its not got the legs of the BR.

Well the 20 prac is something I've wanted for a while, I bought this .22 tube as it was for sale and I had spare money so thought I'd have it. Either I sell it for a 20 cal or just keep it for later and just get the 20 prac I always wanted hmmmm

I got my 260ai for longrang stuff just want a smaller cheaper cal for fun. The 222 is fine but a 20cal would be better higher BC bullets an faster

I know people rave about the 20cal's but what advantage does it have over a .22cal?

BC's are lower and components are harder to find and more expensive.

I'm not saying don't go for it if you fancy one but for something a bit different I probably go with one of the more unusual .22 cals. For something different I'd go probably go for .22BR but I like my .223 too much, cheap as chips, accurate and will go out to 1000yds with the right loads.

I understand wanting to be different, but by different I usually want different/better. What advantages would the 22-204 have over the straight 204 Ruger for varminting ???

According to my version of quickload the .223ai has a larger case capacity than the .204 ruger.

221 Fireball - 222 Rem - 223 REM - 223 Ackley - 222 Rem mag --- 22-204

007jah.jpg

about 1 grain more then 223ai & no forming!

3050ish from 75g bullet is possible!

me thinks it edges it over teh ai & differnt :)

cheers Andy

Hi Mate,

The BC for 20Cal bullets are higher not lower for bullets of the same weight.

Sorry, thats not what I meant. (there may be others that aren't on here):

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/bulletdb.html

The highest BC 20 cal bullet is 0.255, the highest BC 22 cal is 0.58.

20tac with 40grain V-Max & 25.6 grains of Benchmark 3900fps

.223ai with 40 grain VMax and 28 grains of H380 3737FPS.

As you can clearly see above the 20cal will have a higher velocity, lower powder charges, reduced barrel wear, less recoil and higher BC than the .223rem or .223ai for normal varminting ranges with a lightweight bullet.

I'm not sure that barrel wear would be less. Plug the values into this:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/10/spreadsheet-formula-calculates-useful-barrel-life/

I'm not sure how accurate it is but it is useful for comparison. The faster bullet will contribute to barrel wear. I just did a quick comparison and barrel wear was worse.

Recoil will be greater for the 20 for the load above. Equal and oposite reactions. Same bullet weight traveling faster regardless of calibre will equal more recoil. I'll give you the efficiency advantage :D .

Not as good as the .223ai with a 75grain AMAX though at extended ranges. (600yds)

I used to shoot 75gr A-Max's out to a 1000yds with my .223 with reasonable results. :P;) The barrel is too shot out now though :rolleyes: .

Rich

QL is only a guide, the actual case capacity for my 260 is larger than QL says

Only 1 true way to tell actual case capacity and that's put a primer in weigh it then fill with water and weigh again and the difference between the 2 is actual case capacity h2o that is

Please don't think I am trying to start a silly spat here, because I am certainly not, but can someone clarify the case capacities for me.

Quickload is telling me that with the standard specs that the case capacity for a .223ai is 33.4cc and that the 204 ruger/222rem mag case is 30.96cc

if u look at the pics u can see that the 22 204R case is the largest case of the lot!

how much exactly who knows??

cheers Andy

it appears to be that same at the shoulder as the 223AI but with a longer neck.

But look at brass availability. Lap .223 brass is readily sourced .222 Mag is scarce and you would need to neck up .204R

Do you NEED to re-barrel yet or is the .222 shooting half minute? Don't get carried away thinking you need to re-barrel before you have to. I have been there and regret it.

it appears to be that same at the shoulder as the 223AI but with a longer neck.

But look at brass availability. Lap .223 brass is readily sourced .222 Mag is scarce and you would need to neck up .204R

Do you NEED to re-barrel yet or is the .222 shooting half minute? Don't get carried away thinking you need to re-barrel before you have to. I have been there and regret it.

if i rebarrel it will be because i WANT to not need to,

i bought it as a donner for a 20cal build but then bought this 22 cal barrel as i was in the right place at the right time that's all

no ideah of the shoulder angle buts ect but it as a little larger as can be seen!

longer neck can only be a goo thing to

cheap dies i guess to as u could use a full length 204 bushing die & just change out the bush to a .22 one B)

im not saying better but differnt as requseted :unsure:

cheers Andy

Archived