Tikka T3 Bedding

Hi all,

I took the stock off my Tikka last night for the first time, I noticed the bolts were not very tight and on closer inspection the action had ridden over the recoil lug and gouged a couple of mm of the corner off it. I filed off the resulting burr, turned it around so it presents a new sharp corner to the action, and put it all back together again tight.

I was pretty surprised by the "bedding" arrangement and it got me thinking about whether it could be improved with pillar bedding etc, any opinions? what are the advantages of bedding in this sort of polymer stock?

The reason I started is that I have a CDI bottom metal conversion for it, which now I've looked is clearly beyond my ability to inlet the stock for. How much should I expect to pay a smith to fit it, and bed it too if it is worthwhile? Any recommendations for people to do it in the west midlands area?

Thanks for any advice

Gareth

You wont make any bedding material stick to a sythetic stock , long term. I wont bed synthetics for this very reason. Sooner rather than later the bedding material will come loose. Save your money, and change the stock for a fibreglass one if you want to bed it.

Thanks Dave, Pity, I didn't realise you did bottom metal for the T3.

I hear what you're saying about bedding material not sticking to the stock, is there any real issue with fitting the floorplate without pillars? In a way I'd think it could be a good thing, the stock, sandwiched between the action and bottom, may deform slightly to give good contact? Or am I completely off the mark and would any such deformation create forces on the receiver which would be "a bad thing" for accuracy?

Basically: what would you recommend if I presented it to you for floorplate fitting in the existing stock? (" a new stock" may be good advice, but it's probably not useful to me right now, unless you've got a nice Manners lying around that you want rid of :-) )

A floorplate could be fitted no problem. Its not an ideal situation fitting any stock without pillars, because there will always be some "crush" factor, but having said that, a lot of factory stocks have been done that way for years, to keep costs down.

I think as Dave has said, you're wasting time and money bedding a sythetic factory stock (from any manufacturer)

They are too flexible and the base material will not stick to any epoxy I know of.

Ive see some people attempt to glue in steel rods to stop flex - another waste of time.

The recoil lug on T3's is easily resolved, pillar bedding is best, I dont think I would like to fit a decent bottom metal system without using pillars personally.

Save up and have it done properly once.

You could speak to the Norris, he's not too far from you.

l'm up country right now and will be out of action for some time at this rate but he may be able to add some more advice.

i see a mcmillan stock in richard pope's work shop yesterday when there. i think it was for a m595 though. dont know with a bit of work you could make it fit the t3 action.

give him a bell and see what he says. its just sat there getting dust on it. so could be had at a bit of a saving

Archived