hunting/target bullet ?

Devil_bri

does anyone know of a reasonably priced bullet for reloading 308 which will be used for non competion target shooting and the occassional deer stalking ? I want to load 1 round for both purposes

i am thinking 155 gr as rifle is 1:12 twist, 26 " barrel.

any ideas will be appreciated

Thanks

Brian

I am using the sierra match king in 155gr lot number 2155 in my TRG over varget the results are band on under hald inch 5 shot groups.

These can be had at reasonable rate not the new SMK 155gr plama bullet has been released lot number 2156

The 155gr A-max works well on vermin and deer out of a 308win.

The legality might be a bit iffy in the UK but I don't think anybody has

ever got into trouble over using them.

155gr berger VLD's might be another option. Never tried them.

I tried the older 155 SMK's on fox and cannot recomend them.

edi

the old burger match round have been reclasified as a hunting bullet since the launched their new bullets with a thicker jacket for target however I know someone that used to use them for hunting but has changed as he found that he was getting shots just going straight through without expanding too often

Amax although dubious legally would be a better option or Nosler ballistic tipped hunting rounds have a good BC and are legal for hunting

Ian

hi,

dont personally use match bullet on live targets but have found two combinations that will work one is a 135 grn smk bullet and the 125 grn sierra soft point over the same load of varget will shoot sub half inch in the match mode and is still under 1nch when loaded with the soft point.and other is a 155 smk and a hornady 150 grn soft point again loaded over the same load of varget and achieving similar results.

graham.

Agree with what Edi said about the orig 155 SMKs. Soft as butter, prob fine for small deer but I wouldn't use them myself on decent reds.

AMAX def worth looking at by local reputation

Chris-NZ

I tried 155 amax on roe, massive carcase damage even on shots hitting nothing bigger than a rib. If you stalk in cover, don't have a dog and want them to drop where they stand they'll do your job well. You just might end up throwing a few front ends away though.

I tried 155 amax on roe, massive carcase damage even on shots hitting nothing bigger than a rib. If you stalk in cover, don't have a dog and want them to drop where they stand they'll do your job well. You just might end up throwing a few front ends away though.

That is a problem you will get with any polymer tipped bullet and thats why I went away from the Nosler BT and now use a Sierra soft point for stalking but it is the compromise for a bullet for hunting and target work

Ian

Archived