New Berger VLD's

1967spud

anybody heard about the new 182 grain VLD's a mate has bought some in the uk today.

Ian from memory and its oly from memory thr g1 was .750 ish but ill know mor at the week end.

if you see dorg on here ask him as he has in his hands atm

A quick search came up with this.

Eric Stecker w/ Berger posted this yesterday on the LR Forum:

For the sake of clarity, the 7mm X Bullets as they have come to be known were developed for a military opportunity that did not pan out. The goal was to produce a 7mm bullet that will stay supersonic at 1 mile (I don't recall at what MV). Since we did not know which design and weight would accomplish this goal we decided to make all three (VLD, tangent or BT and Hybrid). When the dust settled the Hybrid produced the highest BC.

We made short runs of these bullets for testing and spread them around to see how they shoot. Frankly, it was our intension to see which one shot the best. The plan was to add one version to the line and moth ball the other two designs with our other experimental project that did not make it into the line. The problem is all 3 bullets performed well in testing. One design out shot the other two for one tester but not by much and another tester reported that a different design worked best for them.

The 180 gr Hybrid, having the highest BC, is proving to be the front runner so far but it is not head and shoulders above the others. So I am left with two general directions. The first is to stick to the plan to release just one design or to release two or three designs and see what happens. I decided on the later. Unfortunately, we did not have the jackets needed to make more than the initial test quantities. We are making 7mm jackets but they are the standard thickness for the hunting bullets.

We should be finished with these jackets in the next 3-4 weeks and will be switching to the thick jackets as soon as possible. We will be making large quantities of each version and will let all of you decide which 7mm heavy bullet rules the roost. When these bullets become available there will be 5 versions to choose from.

28404 - 7mm 180 gr BT (Medium Tangent Ogive) - G7 = .314

28405 - 7mm 180 gr VLD (Long Secant Ogive) - G7 = .337

28406 - 7mm 182 gr XBT (Extra Long Tangent Ogive) - G7 = .332

28407 - 7mm 180 gr Hyb (Extra Long Hybrid Ogive) - G7 = .345

28408 - 7mm 175 gr XLD (Extra Long Secant Ogive) - G7 = .336

Regards,

Eric

I have 500 180 Hybrids literally just touching down in the UK today so I should have my hands on them some time next week, they have been a long time coming.

Archived