Cold weather clothing

Hi gents,

I know this really aint the time of year to be thinking about this clothing but I want to get it sorted now incase we have another winter like the last two we have had.

Over here in Northern Ireland we never see much of the good quality gear like Harlika or Laksen or whatever else there may be to choose from as there are no shops that I know of who stock this on display so you can have a look at it and decide for youreself.

Im after some waterproof clothing for realy cold weather, wether it be up a mountainside stalking deer or out walking through the snow after mr fox.

I know of all the regular deer hunter gear as we have it here but I want something better and really good quality.

What do you folk use thesedays and what do you recommend from experience?

Regards

Garry

I can highly recommend Laken gear, it's good quality. I don't know about the Harlika gear only that it is very expensive.

Tony.

I've used a Norrona Recon shell set for years. It's pricy, but excellent quality.

Have a look at Woolpower for base and mid layers. This stuff comes in different weights/thicknesses and is made to keep you warm in Arctic winter.

Unfortuantely, I overheat very quickly, so rarely wear a coat. But I can highly recommend Swanndri, even in the wettest conditions. Doesn't rustle, and is very comfortable.

I do wear laksen and Seeland gear, esepecially at night, but would advise to always get a size larger than usual to allow for under clothing and the fact that my missus could shrink stainless steel.

I have had good luck with the Jackti clothing. Bought it at the time when they were being introduced and for the price of a Harkila fleece got trousers, jacket, fleece jacket, two layers of thermals, gloves, hats and a fluorescent jacket (good for the wife when walking the dogs at night). I have never had a reason to complain with these, with suitable layering I have never been cold or wet, even out in the Scotish hills, with rain falling horizontally for 3 hours on me...And the best thing about it is that, being that it was relatively cheap, I don't worry if I get snagged etc. Good gear!

Finman

I must say that I agree with Finman, I bought a set of their gear some years ago for general daily use, excellent value and does not make you sweat, like some of the other stuff on the market. ATB Bob

Archived