Grouping problem

Been putting some loads through 25-06 and been getting a shotgun grouping. I bought a front bag and have found its better to use off the bonnet than the bi pod.

I started with some load development and couldnt get any sort of grouping, hten tried some of my old loads and they were all over, so put it down to dirty barrel.

Went home cleaned it and made some more loads and test them same thing. Went through 60 or so rounds and just same. On friday was testing some more loads for 2506 and testing some loads for a friend in a 243.

My loads were all over and so while i was laid in the grass contemplating throwing the rifle in the brook and throwing all my loading gear in the bin, my friend was testing his loads and he shot 2 sets off the bag and his last off the bi pod. First 2 loads 6inch high and 3 inch group, Third load all touching [ off bipod].

Made some loads up for 25-06 last night and tested them today off bipod and they are 3/4 inch group.

Why would front bag make so much difference.

IS THE FRONT BAG TOUCHING THE BARREL AT ALL IF IOT IS THATS YOUR PROBLEM

is there plenty of space for your barrel to float whislt using the front bag / is your for end bending and contacting the barrel

IS THE FRONT BAG TOUCHING THE BARREL AT ALL IF IOT IS THATS YOUR PROBLEM

is there plenty of space for your barrel to float whislt using the front bag / is your for end bending and contacting the barrel

No where near it, there seemed to be more recoil with the bag. and the back of the rifle wasnt touching anything

purley shooting off the bag wont make that sort of difference

are you easting the for end on the bag when you use it ?

I assume the loads you are using have worked well before

if thats is the case then you need to go through basics

check all bolts are tight , action and scope and also make sure that the barrel isn't touching the stock when using the bipod and if not make sure there's no crap got between the stock and barrel

just a few things to be looking at

Ian

Are your sling studs catching on the bag when you shoot? That will play heck with groups.Additionally,it is not always easy to shoot from bags. The rifle is more sensitive to grip and resistance during recoil. Where a bipod might act as an anchor for the rifle during recoil, the bags offer no such dampening. A hard hold can make a round shoot high. "bag technique" is not easy to learn with some rifles. I spent 20 rounds of ammunition just getting used to the rifle while testing a new LOT of 5mm Remington ammunition from a 592M Remington. Unless I shoot it often, I have to relearn how to shoot it every time I take it out. Once I got the feel for it, my groups settled in nicely.~Andrew

Are your sling studs catching on the bag when you shoot? That will play heck with groups.Additionally,it is not always easy to shoot from bags. The rifle is more sensitive to grip and resistance during recoil. Where a bipod might act as an anchor for the rifle during recoil, the bags offer no such dampening. A hard hold can make a round shoot high. "bag technique" is not easy to learn with some rifles. I spent 20 rounds of ammunition just getting used to the rifle while testing a new LOT of 5mm Remington ammunition from a 592M Remington. Unless I shoot it often, I have to relearn how to shoot it every time I take it out. Once I got the feel for it, my groups settled in nicely.~Andrew

Ive gone back to bi pod, just picked up a short swivel one, Going to blow the bag to bits, its got me that mad. Wasted about 80 rounds

Ive gone back to bi pod, just picked up a short swivel one, Going to blow the bag to bits, its got me that mad. Wasted about 80 rounds

how did you get on with the bipod?

how did you get on with the bipod?

Its right, Test some 100 grain speer, which wouldnt group before and they are 1/2 inch groups. Death to the bag, Think 100grn speer is just the ticket for that bag.

Its right, Test some 100 grain speer, which wouldnt group before and they are 1/2 inch groups. Death to the bag, Think 100grn speer is just the ticket for that bag.

Here's hoping you never have to shoot without the bipod.... ;) ~Andrew

Archived