Targetmaster trickler

NoEntry

Great piece of kit - "hands free" trickling up while seating the bullet in the previous case saves huge amount of time.

Buy one, you won't regret it....

Tony

I sold my DPS III for a trickler coupled with a decent set of scales its quicker than the electronic one and so accurate its a joy to use.

If you want consistent loads the Trickler is the one :D

ATB Nick

What balance beam scale are people using with their Targetmaster?

I'm using a tuned RCBS 10-10 and a Hornady, I am of the opinion that the Hornady works better than the RCBS 10-10 when using the Targetmaster.

Hi Mike

I have had one for the last two years and its the best bit of reloading kit i bought and still on the same set of battery's after over 2000 loads.

its spot on mate

ps British made as well

Andy

must admit for 1/10 of the cost the Targetmaster Trickler plus a Lee Dipper does what my Prometheus does. The Targetmaster looks like a real bargain.

David.

must admit for 1/10 of the cost the Targetmaster Trickler plus a Lee Dipper does what my Prometheus does. The Targetmaster looks like a real bargain.

David.

Where did you get the Prometheus, I didn't think Brand Cole was making them anymore.

I bought it in the for sales section here. It is the Prometheus 1. Brand Cole has since dveloped a Prometheus 2, which seems to have more electronic gizzmos which is not what I wanted. I think the P1 is not made now and the P2 only available in very small numbers with a long lead time, however I have been in contact with Brand and should the unit ever need a service or spare parts it is no problem to obtain from him.

I like it but would not buy it again had I known about the Targetmaster Trickler.

A is a link to the write-up I did about it.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8705

David.

David

Thanks, I did have a Prometheus on my wish list a while ago and do know that a new model was in the pipeline, however, having used he Targetmaster fo about six months now I would struggle to justify he $2000 price tag. I use my Targetmaster in a fixed position with a magnifying glass set up to allow me to clearly see the beam end pointer and scale, when the Targetmaster stops tickling up if the pointer aligns exactly I transfer the pan contents straight to the case, if it's over I dump it back into the thrower, if it's under I press the button on the Targetmaster to trickle up the one or two grains that are needed to get it exact. I regularly check the thrown and trickled charges against a MXX123 and they appear to be pretty much within 0.02 of a grain from my target weight. I wouldn't rely on the Targetmaster to give a consistent result without a visual check of the balance beam pointer. Just to note my RCBS 10-10 has been tuned by Scott Parker and the beam does register a deflection for the addition of a single kernel of powder.

John MH

Hi John,

with a tuned scale and Targetmaster I think you can do 90 percent of what the Prometheus does for 1/10 the price.

The only two slight advantages with the Prometheus are that one pull of the Uniflow handle dumps a weighed charge and puts the bulk of the next powder into the "bucket" starting the trickler - it is faster and clever. The second thing is that the bucket has a window (square hole) in it through which the trickled powder enters - as the charge gets heavier, closer to the desired weight the bucket moves down and the window in effect becomes smaller, so not all the trickled powder enters the bucket, some of it bounces back into a receiver. This is adjustable which means you can fine tune the flow rate as you get near the desired charge weight. Once setup it is rare to go over the required charge weight even with extruded powders.

Just watched the youtube vids of the Targetmaster - seems excellent.

David.

I too have a Targetmaster I could not recommend it enough, once you have the trickle rate set up properly the charge is usually spot on and very occasionally may under or over throw a charge by a tenth of a grain (if you can see the difference on the scales!).

ATB Paul

Paul

You should certainly see a difference of a 1/10 of a grain on a scale, if you get a tuned scale you can see a difference by the kernel.

Regards

John MH

PS: do you ever shoot at Zelah?

Very good - an excellent device. Works well with my RCBS 10-10 despite these scales being so heavily damped. You can save on a powder measure too - the Lee charge cups at £11 something are all you need to get the bulk of the charge into the pan. I wish I'd found the TargetMaster before paying more than twice as much for a Harrell's measure. I think I might buy another set of scales though as the 10-10 aren't ideal - it's far more convenient to have the TM units sitting behind the scales, but you can't put the light beam / switch unit there with any scales that have a solid rear section between the pivots. A less heavily damped set would probably make the TM even more accurate than it is now. (I have no qualms about using 308W size charges straight off the scales with this set up - more than close enough even for long-range rounds.

Laurie

Is your 10-10 scale tuned?

Regards

John

No - bought them secondhand for I think £40 about 10 years ago, RCBS 5-0-5 before then that I wish I'd kept. I've checked thew 10-10 with Lyman check-weights and they're spot on, and I also check my TargetMaster plus 10-10 loads on Acculab VIC123 electronic scales and the variations between charges are small.

(This is all written up + powder measure accuracy tests in the March and April issues of the free online magazine Target Shooter- available in the past issues section section as pdf files if you've not seen these articles.)

Laurie

Archived