Shooting in Southern Ireland.

Hi all.

STENA-LINE at Holyhead are now refusing to carry shooters ammo and OUR POLICE are threatening us with arrest if we do not `surrender` our lock-blade hunting knives. [This arrest lark we were told would take 5 HOURS during which time our boat would have long gone.]

Our trip over last week was marred by this nonsense.

Ammo had to be bought over there, the rifle re-zeroed and another knife obtained.

If you have an odd-ball rifle calibre make previous arrangements for ammo over there.

My companion DID manage to get his valuable knife back when we returned yesterday after a lengthy visit to two Police sites.

Other than this aggravation our trip was successful, Bob got 3 Sika and I got some nice photos.

HWH.

Guest 308Panther

If that is some of the problems you guys run into.....

Just imagine what I would run into....I can picture

not only a luggage search...but a body cavity search

from a Militant Bull Dyke named Bertha....

My folks were in Ireland in '02 on vacation and they

said they had a wonderful time,the people were very

friendly,tourists were welcomed with open arms...

Seems like the only thing welcome now is money.

Whats with not being able to bring ammo in?

Or a knife...How do they expect ya gut and skin it out?

Vim,Whats red derv?

Stag,....Awesome pics as usual......For someone that has

eye problems ya wouldnt know it by the quality of your pics

and shooting....

308Panther

My folks were in Ireland in '02 on vacation and they

said they had a wonderful time,the people were very

friendly,tourists were welcomed with open arms...

Seems like the only thing welcome now is money.

Pat, I live in Ireland since 95,

in this time the country, people and mentallity changed a lot.

Europe did part of the damage, no smoking in pubs is

like no sex in a brothel. The pubs were no. 1 selling point

of the tourist industry, pubs lost 30-50% business.

Saying that, if you know your way around and stay away

from the tourist hot spots you'll have a good time in Ireland.

Lets face it, you will hardly find as much freedom anywhere in Europe.

And Pat, I think the Guiness is served a bit colder than they used to.

Nice pictures Stag

edi

Panther

Red Diesel (no tax on it) about £2.20/$4.40 a gallon.

Normal road diesel about £4.50/$9.00 a gallon.

That’s why there is a temptation to those who have access to it to run vehicles on red diesel, but big fines, confiscation of your vehicle, and made to pay back up to 5 years duty if the offenders get caught.

Best rgds

B-b

Guest 308Panther

Ok,Got it...Thanx.

We do the same with #1 heating oil...

Its the same as diesel just extra filtered to be cleaner.And there is no road tax

on it also.....

Just wasnt familiar with the term "red derv".

We also have 2 types of diesel...both are now low sulfur.

There is the reformulated low sulfur...

Then there is the Bio20 diesel....this is a mix of diesel and soybean blend at 20%.

When the temp drops this is some nasty stuff.

Gels faster,and takes 2x more antigel to keep from gelling too.

The smart drivers dont shut them off....The ones with their heads in a warm dark place

make my day a living hell.....I go thru antigel by the pallet full,and fuel filters by the pallet

full too...

308Panther

Guest varmartin

Just a useless bit of info...

D.E.R.V----is an acronym for---Diesel engine road vehicle :lol:

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) use equipment that can actually `sniff` the exhaust fumes from vehicles and Analise it whilst driving behind any vehicle they wish to test. They don't even need to pull you over and dip your fuel tank nowadays :o

Martin

Guest 308Panther
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) use equipment that can actually `sniff` the exhaust fumes

With technology like that,do ya think

they can tell how many cans of beans I use in my chili?

:lol:

308Panther

Guest varmartin

Don`t they just count how many windows you have rolled down..

4 windows rolled down= 4 cans. If your head is out the window...= 5 cans :lol::o

Martin

Kelloq.

After checking in our ticket at Holyhead we drove forward as directed and were stopped by staff who asked the purpose of our visit.

When we said `hunting` the trouble started and we were asked if we had firearms and ammo in the vehicle, the answer was `yes` and the Irish rifle permit, Euro pass, English FAC etc were produced.

They then asked to see the rifle and ammo. A locked box was produced which contained the ammo and 3 hunting knives.

A STENA employee said they would not carry ammo onboard and the Policeman present agreed to take the 13 rounds of .270 cal. into custody.

He spotted the knives and examined them and said 2 of the 3 were illegal lock-blades and they must be `surrendered`.

When asked what would happen if not handed over he said the owner would be arrested, a process which would take 5 hours and bugger-up our sailing.

Bob demanded and got a receipt for them and details of a senior officer to contact when we returned from Ireland.

Over there we had to buy ammo and sight in the rifle to suit the new ammo.

Our hunt was successful and Bob got 3 Sika stags and I got some photos.

Upon return yesterday the knives were regained after a lengthy meeting with the Holyhead police.

Anyone going shooting to Ireland should make serious noises before they go or not take ammo or lock-knives with them.

HWH.

.EireOCT07112.jpg

The officers stop me every year, and have done for the past 6 years, both going in, and out, most likely because its always a large van we go fishing in. Its always the same irish bird at holyhead, and she always backs off when i show her the maggot bucket, even though theres never any in it [we buy them there].

No lock knives are illegal, despite their size, providing they arent on public display in the vehicle, or carried on ones person in a public place.

Guest 308Panther

Hey Stag...

Thatsa Beauty....

And he seems to know it too,by being so selective on where ya seen him,

and by how much is visible in the shot.

And by not seein him again.

Great Pic.

308Panther

Hi Verm.

It was not the Irish police who were the trouble, it was ours at Holyhead.

When Bob went to the local Police to try to recover his confiscated property upon our return he was asked what he had used over there.

When he said he had bought another knife there and left it with our host I am told that he was searched.

When we went over, although I had no firearm with me I was made to produce personal identification. My driving licence was taken away and eventually returned before we were allowed to depart.

We had NO trouble with the Irish either on entry or exit, it was our lot who gave us grief.

HWH.

Stagg,

i am dumbfounded that our police can get away with this possibly illegal behaviour, threatening law abiding citizens with arrest if they do not surrender non-prohibited items into custody, must be an abuse of your civil right to go about your daily business without interference from the authorities.

They know that they can get away with it because they are not held responsible for thier actions, plus the fact they also know you have a ferry to catch.

Disgracefull :lol::lol:

Ian.

Archived