Hi everyone.

Been pondering over a new mod today for a nee custom build.

I have decided not to use my s5 mod as it wont allow me to go as heavy a profile of barrel at the muzzle as id like because of the sleeve it has.

Have my eye on the new spartan mod but im willing to hear about other suggestions.

Im thinking of the spartan because it looks an excellent mod for the money.

There are however two models, over barrel and end of barrel mount. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons or how either would benifit me over the other. Does anyone know if the over barrel mod will allow me a heavy muzzle up it? Say 28-30 mm?

Its for a 6.5-284 just incase that makes any difference to the mod decision.

Anyone got one and how do you rate it?

Im very interested to hear from anyone who has either version of this mod!!

Garry

The over barrel version wont go over a barrel that fat. The muzzle mounted version will fit flush up to the shoulder, so would fit the bill nicely. It also has one extra baffle than the reflex version, and thus is quieter. The spartans are no quieter than anything else out there, but are superbly made, and cheap for what they are. The quality is top notch. For their size, the sound reduction is ok.

I sell more of these mods than all the rest put together, and have never had one come back, or had any customer make a complaint about them.

Highly recommended.

Does the muzzle mounted version have the internal muzzle brake?

Not thst it would matter but I dont see it mentioned on the website if it has or not.

Do you think this mod is big enough to cope with the gas dispertion of the 284 case? Someone has raised this point with me and its in the back of my mind if maybe the mym stainless t8 mod would be better suited to this calibre only for the thick barrel but maybe there is more barrel room in an mym for a thick barrel?

I personally dont like as big a mod as the t8 style but what you reackon Dave?

Garry

The muzzle mounted mod does have an internal brake.

Craig, the owner of EVO and designer, runs one of these mods on a .300 RUM, so i wouldn,t think it would have any problems on a .284.

An mym wont go over a barrel that fat either. Infact, to my knowledge, even a t8 magnum wont go over. If you have a barrel that fat, you are stuck with a muzzle mounted mod. If so , then my choice would be a zet z, because with a barrel that big, the weight of a mod wont be an issue, and the zet z is quieter than the spartan, at least to my ears.

You need to decide what you want from a mod. The spartan is a great choice for a reasonably efficient mod, that is light and small...perfect for a stalker.

If weight is not an issue, or price, then the jet z is a more efficient moderator. Its also heavier, and has more internal baffles, making it quieter. It also retains heat longer, being steel, whereas the spartan cools quicker, being aluminium.

The perfect sound moderator still has not been made. No one model ticks all the boxes. You cant cheat physics...to be ultra quiet, a moderator has to have a lot of baffles, and the size capacity to contain the gas. There will always be a trade off, between noise, size, weight, and cost.

A friend of mine has a fully suppressed ruger 77/22. The barrel is 12" long, and the fully moderated barrel, is probarbly 26" long, and the mod comes right back to the breech. It contains around a dozen baffles, and acoustic felt traps in the reflex section. I kid you not, the weapons signature is just the firing pin click. A much misused cliche i know, but in this case...a very accurate description. I,ve fired hundreds of .22,s moderated, in all types and permutations, and have never heard one as quiet...and it demonstrates the phsyics of mods very well.

ie, you have to have something there, to make it work.

Im not worried about mod weight as the barrel is guna b a brute so weight does not worry me. Its only guna be carried out of the jeep and set on the ground or carried to the range.

The only thing that worries me about the jet z is its not stainless. Id rather have an s series mod. Pity about the dam sleeve that goes over the barrel.

I wonder if it could be machined off level with the mod muzzle face to be able to screw up onto a heavier profile. Been on the ase website there and the s7 mod looks more like what im after.

Ps. When my 6mm rifle is barreld its going off to you for a paint job of thats ok?

The rest of the rifle has already been painted by jaeger with its original owner but the barrel needs done as its a new one.

Garry

sparton looks a very nice mod !

mates jsut got one for his 308!

i would say it was a fair bit louder then my t8 compact on my 308 tho!(fair bit smaller mind!

only a mk1 ear hole test but it made me think id go a differnt route when i need to change the mod on my br from my knackered p8

cheers Andy

Im not worried about mod weight as the barrel is guna b a brute so weight does not worry me. Its only guna be carried out of the jeep and set on the ground or carried to the range.

The only thing that worries me about the jet z is its not stainless. Id rather have an s series mod. Pity about the dam sleeve that goes over the barrel.

I wonder if it could be machined off level with the mod muzzle face to be able to screw up onto a heavier profile. Been on the ase website there and the s7 mod looks more like what im after.

Ps. When my 6mm rifle is barreld its going off to you for a paint job of thats ok?

The rest of the rifle has already been painted by jaeger with its original owner but the barrel needs done as its a new one.

Garry

Garry,

sounds like you've got an early S5. No part of my S5 goes over the barrel, apart from the threaded portion.

I,ll happily paint it Garry, but it would have to be the full barrelled action. I dont patch other peoples paint up, or attempt to match it. The job needs doing right if you are going to do it.

If you have a reflex stainless mod, i would say its more likely to be a northstar.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Haha yes i supose i am looking an excuse for another mod but only cus I want all my builds to have their own unique character, so when I get bored of one another is always ready and waiting to turn me on. :lol:

Dave the action is already painted but can you strip the existing duracoat off ? Its an rpa. Will prob get the mod painted aswell id say.

Will a .30 cal mod work ok on a 6mm? I mean will it moderate it ok or would a dedicated mod for a 6mm be much noticeably quieter or maybe there wont be much difference? Does tje amount of baffles matter more than the hole size for sound reduction?

Garry

Phoned Jackson Rifles this morning to enquire more about their mods. It seems you were right '17 rem' my s5 is an early mod and the newer ones they machine the budley off that goes over the barrel so you can use a heavier barrel which is a good job.

He said they have been asking ASE to make them like this for some time now with no success so they machine them themselves now so me thinks I will stick to the ASE mods.

They apparently are bringing out a more compact version of the s5 mod called an SL5 which will be lighter, shorter and thinner and possibly cheaper so it will be interested to see it when it arrives.

Garry

Glad to help, Garry.

The new, lighter, S5 is something I've seen discussed by the guy from ASE (Tuukka?) on another forum. I'm tempted to buy one to compare it with the original on.

If he'd make a dedicated 17 or 20 calibre version of the CQB, I'd be ordering immediately.

Glad to help, Garry.

The new, lighter, S5 is something I've seen discussed by the guy from ASE (Tuukka?) on another forum. I'm tempted to buy one to compare it with the original on.

If he'd make a dedicated 17 or 20 calibre version of the CQB, I'd be ordering immediately.

Im thinking about ordering one for my 6mm build, it should be a nice sweet mod.

Sometimes the S5 can be a little heavy but I dont mind so much as its a great mod. Though a lighter one might be more suoted to my 6mm.

Like you say, its a pity they arent a bit more calibre specific with their mods as the 'S' series is only availabe in .25, .30 or 338. I supose it covers all areas for them but it would be nice to have something exact.

Garry

Archived