Sako

tony

Just in the process of getting a s/hand Sako 75 6.5x55 in s/steel, synthetic stock.

Thinking ahead a little.......When the barrel needs replaceing I would go for a Boarder cut or something of that quality.

So the question is, should I also change the stock or are these stocks of good quality, dont want to spend more money if its not necessary.

The rifle is to be used mostly for stalking and a few foxes.

Any comments are most welcome.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony,

I started out stalking with a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 and still have the rifle now. It has gone thru' a few changes, but the original factory barrel shot very well and the stock, as WSM said, is one of the nicest factory units out. Mine had a wood stock and when looking for a plastic replacement spoke with Kelly McMillan himself, he recomended their vesion of the std stock as 'one of the best he'd handled' which it now wears (had them do a light fill as I wanted to shed weight).

As to after market barrels, pretty much any known make will be better than you! :P During the weight loss program a Hart was fitted by PRS, still shooting well after a couple of 1000 rounds.

Very slick action and the trigger is adjustable (from memory).

Enjoy!!

Terry

Thanks for your input lads.....Must admit as soon as I picked the rifle from the rack it felt good, you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks again, looking forward to shooting with it. :rolleyes:

Tony.

I have one too. Mine has the McMillan A5 stock [black] on it and its just being re-barrelled with a Pacnor S/S supermatch barrel 1 in 8 twist. Its then off up to Baldie to be duracoated. I'm told it weighs a bit but I aint small and it will be my main stalking rifle. I also had a Near Mfg 20 MOA rail fitted to help me reach out, hopefully in excess of 800yds but who knows. The excitement is growing......

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up the Sako today got it home and gave it a good clean up the barrel, I then took it to my shooting ground and zeroed it in.

At 100 yards I put three rounds (Vint N160 44grs 140gr SGK) into the target, to say I was pleased is an understatment.......1/2" group :rolleyes: and thats just the start off load, Not bad for a factory barrel....I dont think this rifle has done much work at all :rolleyes: My first Sako, so very pleased indeed.

Tony.

Up at the crack of dawn this morning in antisipation of my first kill with the Sako. ;)

Arrived at my stalking ground just as it was getting light, I thought I'll have a walk round first to see if there is anything about.

Walked across one field then on through a gate looked around the corner and there was charlie around 60 yards away looking in the hedge, I slowly put the sticks up and just about to mount the rifle on them and charlie spots me and bolts it.......s--t!!!!!! :mad: By this time I am thinking its gonna be one of those mornings. Walked around a bit and saw two Roe Deer within shooting range and guess what........they were Does!!!!! :mad:

By this time it was around 6-45am, I was close by to my high chair so deceided to spend the last hour sat in it, 20mins later out of the wood pops a Roe Deer, again its a Doe!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink: I'm thinking not gonna get me a Buck this morning, I'll give it another 1/2 hour me thinks. Fifteen mins passed then I saw, running towards me a young Buck, behind him in hot pursuit was another older buck, 50 yards from me the young Buck ran into the wood, I thought the older Buck is gonna follow him in but no he stopped just short of the wood, I already had him lined up with the rifle so placed the shot right in the engin room down he went like a sack of potatoes, rechambered a round just incase but he was already dead......It just goes to show that you never know whats going to happen next, a very enjoyable morning, :rolleyes: "except for charlie" Looking forward to the next outing.

Tony.

• 6 months later...

Up at the crack of dawn this morning in antisipation of my first kill with the Sako. ;)

Arrived at my stalking ground just as it was getting light, I thought I'll have a walk round first to see if there is anything about.

Walked across one field then on through a gate looked around the corner and there was charlie around 60 yards away looking in the hedge, I slowly put the sticks up and just about to mount the rifle on them and charlie spots me and bolts it.......s--t!!!!!! :mad: By this time I am thinking its gonna be one of those mornings. Walked around a bit and saw two Roe Deer within shooting range and guess what........they were Does!!!!! :mad:

By this time it was around 6-45am, I was close by to my high chair so deceided to spend the last hour sat in it, 20mins later out of the wood pops a Roe Deer, again its a Doe!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink: I'm thinking not gonna get me a Buck this morning, I'll give it another 1/2 hour me thinks. Fifteen mins passed then I saw, running towards me a young Buck, behind him in hot pursuit was another older buck, 50 yards from me the young Buck ran into the wood, I thought the older Buck is gonna follow him in but no he stopped just short of the wood, I already had him lined up with the rifle so placed the shot right in the engin room down he went like a sack of potatoes, rechambered a round just incase but he was already dead......It just goes to show that you never know whats going to happen next, a very enjoyable morning, :rolleyes: "except for charlie" Looking forward to the next outing.

Tony.

Mr Moley, dont know about the 85s but if they are as good as the 75s I think you will be well pleased.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Tony.

Archived