Help needed - Safari Rifle.

I'm in the planning faze of a new rifle and am after the advice and input from the fellow members on here.

Whats in the planning is a safari rifle.

Last time I went to Africa I took a rem 700 in .308 which did a great job. Although something with a bit more stopping power would be ideal.

The key to this one is I'm looking at a left handed action.

All thoughts appreciated.

Kind Regards

Rob

Captain.

There is a very pretty Sako 691 switch barrel on Guntrader in left hand. Built by PRS so will be a thing of quality.

One Shilen Barrel in 338 win mag and another Shilen in 7mm rem mag. Should be just the ticket for Africa and fine for uk.

1400 quid if memory serves.

I in no way have any connection to the vendor.

Being a lefty myself i noticed it whilst having a nosey.:)

Cheers.

Nick.

A 300 win mag is a good option as good stopping power with larger bullets and also the fact that ammo will be available should it be needed in most african countries whereas some more exotic type caliber may not be

Ian

My .30-06 AI was orininally built to take to South Africa, although it wasn't finished on time so I ended up using the 'estate' rifle.

It's an old Savage 110 action that I picked up for about £100

26" Pac Nor Polygonal 1in10 barrel

Richards Microfit Blank which I have profiled myself although I wouldn't go for one again it took forever to get here and was the reason the rifle wasn't finished in time.

It was initially going to be in 300 WSM but I was convinced by my South African friend, Luke Wady (on here) that .30-06 was a better choice and by going for AI I would get nearly 300 win mag velocities without having a belted mag and would still be able to shoot standard .30-06 ammo (which is easily obtained of in South Africa) should the need arise.

I can get about 3000fps+ with a 180gr bullet out of it but it's currently down loaded to comply with the bisley high muzzle energy rules.

I have just had built a 300wsm by neil mckilop.It was built to use in africa mainly but also for stalking in the uk.This is my third 300wsm it seems to be a very accurate calibre with a wide range of bullet weights.For plains game i would opt for .30cal shooting 165-180gr bullets of a good construction,Something like barnes or e tips seem to be very effective on larger game.As for the bullets buy the best you can afford there likely to be the cheapest part of the trip.ATB SEAN

Rob.

This is probably a moot point but, what's the biggest calibre you can shoot accurately from "any" position in a hunting weight rifle.....

Check PMP's site for re-supply in the field.....

Go from there.....

Regards.

Dave.

Archived