243 acley fire forming

rutland12

Hi

I am new to the forum and would like advice on 243 ai fire forming. I have read about the methods of firing factory loads or the cream of wheat method. I plan to choose between lupua virgin brass and norma factory loads. My question is on which powders are OK when forming without bullets. I have read on sites in the US where they favour fast pistol powders and working up loads to form out enough. I have been loading 223 brass with h335 and N133. Has anyone used these powders ? If so what sort of loads to start with ? I would prefer to use the Lupua brass as this seems more robust than the norma and has more neck tension.

Tony

Hi Spud

Thanks for this. I had seen it some time ago on youtube. How many rounds before you clean the barrel ? Does the soap leave much mess ?

Tony

Tony, you can substitute the soap with tissue paper rolled into small wads, a 3/4 inch square is roughly what you will need.

The faster the pistol powder the less you will need to form the case, I use Unique. A word of warning, as with all reloading procedures pay attention but pay extra attention when using the cream of wheat (Semolina) method as you can easily double charge a case with pistol powder which will have disastrous consequences.

Sorry I can't help with the N133 or H335.

I did 50 cases before cleaning, and cleaning was very easy using KG1.

If the rifle is for sporting purposes then just load up some stout loads and enjoy, they are very accurate while fire forming.There are enough people on here using them that can help you with your initial starting load.

As Ian has said tissue paper will work well but as he states make sure you only do one charge f powder per case

i cleaned every 30-5- with no probs at all

Tony, you can substitute the soap with tissue paper rolled into small wads, a 3/4 inch square is roughly what you will need.

The faster the pistol powder the less you will need to form the case, I use Unique. A word of warning, as with all reloading procedures pay attention but pay extra attention when using the cream of wheat (Semolina) method as you can easily double charge a case with pistol powder which will have disastrous consequences.

Sorry I can't help with the N133 or H335.

I did 50 cases before cleaning, and cleaning was very easy using KG1.

If the rifle is for sporting purposes then just load up some stout loads and enjoy, they are very accurate while fire forming.There are enough people on here using them that can help you with your initial starting load.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply. I have settled on the cream method. I have narrowed my powder choice down to two ,N160 and H4350. I will be loading 2 hornadies, 87 vmax for hunting and 105 amax for targets. Any starting load info would be very much welcomed. I have ordered Lupua brass , CCI BR2 and will be using redding comp neck dies.

Thanks again

Tony

Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply. I have settled on the cream method. I have narrowed my powder choice down to two ,N160 and H4350. I will be loading 2 hornadies, 87 vmax for hunting and 105 amax for targets. Any starting load info would be very much welcomed. I have ordered Lupua brass , CCI BR2 and will be using redding comp neck dies.

Thanks again

Tony

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=105

I made a 220 Swift Improved a week or two ago thats currently at proof.

Here is the before and after fireforming cases.

I usually use max load to ff with bullet into lands.

However, this case (no pun intended), the shoulder was just kissing the front of the chamber, so I got perfectly formed cases...

I set headspace to 0 to get this.

Sorry bout small picture, taken with the phone, immediately after firing.

Quite a dramatic change to the case,,,,

I dont have before and after H2O capacities.

220swiftimproved-1.jpg

Archived