Chronographed the .17 Rem yesterday

Si-Snipe

Hi guys

Finally got a pre-told load together for the .17 Rem I recently bought I had been awaiting certain components to replicate the existing load data). Following on from the previous owners data with Vit 135 and Berger match bullets I chrono'd it at 4065 f/s which I was very pleased with especially when I lauched 3 rounds down range to check my zero and it did a .21" at 100yds. Looking forward to smashing up some vermin with it next week. :lol:

Ps how do others find the Berger Match in .172 cal compared to say V max which is known to be 'more explosive'.

Cheers,

Si

Hi Si.

The Berger bullets are very explosive - you will find no noticable differance between Vmax and either Berger HP's or Hornady HP's - and whatever you shoot wouldn't notice the differance either. ;)B)

The Vmax have a better BC which definately helps on those longer shots.

What Twist rate is your barrel Si .... The reason I ask , I have a 10 twist which wont stabilze the 25 grain Vmax unless they are pushed really hard (IE) above 4100 fps.. :o Which is really hard on brass ... slower than that and they are tumbling to the target. :wacko:

ATB

AL

Hi Al

Its a 1:9 twist. The previous owner said it shot V max very well. I don't have a load for the V max and Vit powder (only with varget). I did shoot some of the pre-made Varget rounds which were supposed to be 'hot' bit they were only doing 3800 compared to the 4065 of the Vit/Berger loads I made up.

Berger always seem to air on the side of caution when they state BC for their bullets and like we have discussed via PM there is probably not much difference in it for the ranges I will be shooting it over.

Have you tested the wind drift of V max vs others Al?

Cheers,

Si

Si --- I have tested the 25 grn Vmax against 25 grn Hornady HP's - As expected the Vamx drop and drift less.

I have stopped using 25 grn Vmax due the stability problems I encountered - I'm using Hornady HP's / Vit n133 and find them deadly.

ATB

Al

Thanks Al

Do get any drill throughs with the hollow points? Or are they similar to the V max for terminal damage?

What speed are yours running at?

Cheers,

Si

Thanks Al

Do get any drill throughs with the hollow points? Or are they similar to the V max for terminal damage?

What speed are yours running at?

Cheers,

Si

Hi Si

Never any drill through's - I have probably shot a couple of dozen fox with this paticular 17 rem rifle and Never had one exit with either Vmax or the Hornady HP's

The 25 grn Horny's are doing 4040 fps and it groups 1/2 MOA - which is not bad for an 18 year old rifle with the original tube.

ATB

Al

ATB

Al

The 25 grn Horny's are doing 4040 fps and it groups 1/2 MOA - which is not bad for an 18 year old rifle with the original tube.

ATB

Al

Cool Al! 1/2" is a nice group b any standard I think and more impressive from a 18 year old Rem barrel. I think with facts like that the general shooter may be more persuaded by the delightful .17 cals all-round suitability as a lightweight CF.

I am using the Bergers at the moment - I wonder if i can find them cheaper than £50/200.... It will make the vermin a bit cheaper per shot. :lol:

Cheers,

Si

A mate of mine has some 25 grn Hornady HP's for £15 per 100 for sale.

They are just as accurate and explosive in my rifle. Might be worth a shot ( excuse the pun ) :blush:

ATB

Al

It certainly might be worth a shot. :lol: I'll have a think on it and get back to you. Have you tried the Bergers in yours Al? Could you use the same load for both or did you have to tweak it?

Si

I remember when 25 grain Hornady 17's were the only game in town for my 17 Mach IV, back in 1980. I never found then lacking in accuracy or stopping power. Coyotes hit with it fell like a wet dish rag. You guys have it good these days. :) ~Andrew

SI -try this load-20gn vmax-start @23.4gns -n135 i go to 24.3-135 chronos @4320fps this is a very near hot load in my rifle.is very accurate sub 3/4" @200yds an ddrops old charlie in his tracks i have never had a 20vmax exit a fox with this load in over 14yrs,

SI -try this load-20gn vmax-start @23.4gns -n135 i go to 24.3-135 chronos @4320fps this is a very near hot load in my rifle.is very accurate sub 3/4" @200yds an ddrops old charlie in his tracks i have never had a 20vmax exit a fox with this load in over 14yrs,

Cheers Gaz

I would like to be using the 25g V max if possible. Have you any load data for N135 for those?

I have 180 to try now. :)

Cheers Gaz

I would like to be using the 25g V max if possible. Have you any load data for N135 for those?

I have 180 to try now. :)

25vmax-n135 start 22.0, max in my rifle 23.6 this is not a reccomend to you -always start lower 15% best results with rem 71/2 primers .

25vmax-n135 start 22.0, max in my rifle 23.6 this is not a reccomend to you -always start lower 15% best results with rem 71/2 primers .

Thanks Gaz

I am getting serious speeds with the 22.5g Vit 135 and 25g Berger Match so unless the Vmax operate with less pressure then I would think the 22.5/6 may be the max for me. I have made up 6 loads to test tomorrow: 22.1-22.6g Vit 135 and Vmax 25g so I will test and report back.

Thanks,

Si

Thanks Gaz

I am getting serious speeds with the 22.5g Vit 135 and 25g Berger Match so unless the Vmax operate with less pressure then I would think the 22.5/6 may be the max for me. I have made up 6 loads to test tomorrow: 22.1-22.6g Vit 135 and Vmax 25g so I will test and report back.

Thanks,

Si

Hey guys

I was out testing the above loads. There was more wind than I had hoped despite the 4mph forecast but I decided to test none the less. As expected there was horizontal spread of the groups due to the 12-2 O'clock switching 6-9mph wind which made group analysis more difficult. The best group was 0.4" and was with 22.4g Vit 135 using the 25g Vmax. Other varied out to 0.7" but strung horizontally. I shall re-test under better conditions.

I did take from it the observation of pressure signs in the form of slight brass-stamping with the ejector pin. This was observed at 22.5 and 22.6 suggesting that the load was perhaps a wee bit stout. Primers weren't flattened (perhaps to a marginal degree) and seemed consistent throughout the batches i.e. not becoming progressively worse as the charge increased.

I have made up 15 V max to test on rabbits on Fri along with 80 6.5x47 rounds. :D

Happy days,

Si

I remember when 25 grain Hornady 17's were the only game in town for my 17 Mach IV, back in 1980. I never found then lacking in accuracy or stopping power.

Unfortunately, Andrew, Hornady changed the construction of the 25 grain HP about 8 or 10 years ago and it's much too hard now.

Archived