Twist rate for big .22

6.5shooter

Im stuck between a rock and a hard place on wether to rebarrel my swift to a tighter twist to shoot the 75 gr bullets accurately.

I want something for shooting crows out to 600 y etc with better wind performance than my 1 in 12 barrel shooting the lighter bullets.

I have a 6.5 but im worried about ricochets etc so i need something to fit the bill.

My only concern about the swift with a tight twist is will it be a success? Im thinking maybe it will be too much gun for this idea and would i end up blowing up bullets from over stabilisation.

I know some of the members on here have similar rifles in 22-250 form. I was wondering if you would share with me youre experiences.

If i dont decide to go down this route i will build a 6-6.5x47 shooting 105 amax, aslong as this bullet is not too heavy and not expand quick enough on crows and cause a similar problem to a 6.5?

So this is my dilema folks, its taking the risk with the 75grainers at high speed and risking it being a failure or should i just build a 6mm with 105's?

Regards

Garry

HI Gaz

Personally , I dont think there is any more risk of failure , selecting a 22 cal to shoot heavy high BC bullets...Afterall your putting an precision bullet down a precision barrel.

It is hardly a new concept --- its been tried and tested thousands of times ... so I wouldn't worry Gaz.

Select a 9 twist for your swift and you will be launching a 75 grn Amax with a BC of 0.435 at over 3400 fps

The 22.250 will comfortably do 3350 fps and has the advantage of having Lapua brass to use.

The 22 BR is also one to think about - superb accuracy and efficiency and excellent barrel life .

if you dont mind the extra case prep work - would be probably top of the list - ( although velocity is lower with the same length tube )

The 243 - is a great performer - I have not used 105 grn bullets as they wouldn't stabilize in my 10 twist. IME the 87 grn Vmax expand well and are deadly on everything.

Feel free to get in touch if you want more info on my 22.250 experience.

ATB

Al

I have a 22-250 Ai with an 8 twist no issues at all with the 75g A-Ma

I'm currently building a 220AI with a 7 twist barrel, for 75 g and above projectiles......

Alan,

Thanks for youre words of wisdom.

I have seem what you and youre 22-250 can do from youre videos and it looks like a cracking setup.

I have been doing alot of googling and thats what has put the doubts in my mind about wether it will be a success ot not. On some forums in america some people say its great and other people say its great while it lasts untill you start getting throat wear and jackets rip apart causing the bullets to rip apart.

The swift being slightly more over bore sounds like it would be worse but i guess if i make it 1 in 9 the extra speed might help to stabilise it better.

I want to try and stay with the swift case as i have all the gear for it and i find it phenomanaly accurate. I will have to go for single shot as the 75 amax loaded will be over mag length but i dont mind as i usually find myself single feeding anyway when my mag runs out and it will be more of a prone style setup as i usually just find myself lying and waiting for things to land or pop out.

Gandy,

Thanks for the info on the 105 amax.

Ronin,

Thanks for youre info,

Did you go AI to increase performance or to try and improve on case life?

Can you get much more performance increase going AI?

What powders fo you find work as i think the AI case in 22-250 could be near swift case volume?

Im currently using n160 behind a 60 vmax but i suspect i will have to go a slower powder.

Regards

Garry

i shoot a 22 br with 1 in 8.5 twist, shhots really good when i do my part

the best thing with it case is just right size for 22cal bullet out of 28'' tube,

i get 3150fps with 30.5gr n150 and 75 gr A-max

i think 22br is better that swiftas you can get better case,

the 22-250 is bit faster but not by much,

if your rifle is to be mag feed then go with 22-250 as th shorth case of 22 br are better left in singal shot actions

hope this may help

Archived