priming tools, K&M - RCBS - (??)

TonyH

I have a couple of venerable Lee Autoprime hand tools, which I've always considered excellent value as well as technically sound, but they're wearing out so I'll need a replacement and I might be tempted by something more upmarket. I like K&M stuff and their hand tool with integral dial gauge looks excellent; the latest RCBS model with universal shellholder also has been well received, good review on 6mmBR.com. Anyone experienced with either of these and/or got one for sale? Any comments, good or bad?

Thanks, Tony

I often look at the K&M but i am put off with the thought of handling the primers and the faff of loading them individually. I have worked my way through many primers tools, experimented, modified and even broken a couple, for me they ended up as:

Lee Autoprime for .303

RCBS for everything else

I have an RCBS set up for each of my cartridges and have fitted mechanical stops on them so the handle will always close to exactly the same place to maintain primer position, is it worth it? Probably not as I can do it equally as well by feel.

Every bit as important to me is the primer pocket and I uniform all of my pockets with a SincInt primer uniformer first time driven slowly in a cordless drill to cut a uniform constant depth pocket, I use the same tool (large or small) by hand to remove carbon after the first uniforming.

Spud did a good Youtube on the K&M

Not had any experience with any of the others mentioned except the K & M. I now use this one http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37732/Product/Sinclair_Priming_Tool which I find is quick and easy to use, although you have to handle the primers.

Thanks gents, that's helpful. From Mark's video it's clear that the K&M is built to their usual standards of solidity. Yes, the key thing that deters me about it (apart from the cost) is the single-primer loading; I don't load lots at a time but even so it would be a bit slow & fiddly. I see the RCBS tool gets very solid support on US websites like handloading.com (?) - but I like the idea of a dial gauge.

Regards, Tony

tony seriously get one , i bet i can prime about 75 % of my primers compared to the lee doing a 100 in the same time plus i have the added bonus of i know every single primer is sitting fllat in the primer pockt flush to the floor and touching it

tony seriously get one , i bet i can prime about 75 % of my primers compared to the lee doing a 100 in the same time plus i have the added bonus of i know every single primer is sitting fllat in the primer pockt flush to the floor and touching it

I have been using the K&M tool for about 10 years or more, I don't tend to use the DTI feature (the tool can be configured for use without it) and seat by feel but Spud's demo clip has got me thinking about using it again. Loading individual primers is not that tedious and con be done while watching the TV, usually do batches of 300 to 400 cases at a time.

John MH

im thiking if your primer pocket it set to the right depth and your primer is seated till it stops ,is this not the right way ,as if the primer is not touching the bottom is there not a chance off the primer moving once struck by the fireing pin ?

Archived