Pumping up the Volume???

MalcW?

Following reading all the great write ups.I finally got around to ordering my WAM fox whistle a week or so before the Xmas festivities. It actually arrived the week between Xmas and the New Year. After a bit of a play whilst the wife and kids were out at the sales I finally managed to get something that sounded like a convincing rabbit distress call out of it.Its already helped me bag a dog fox whilst out stalking early the other morning. However I can't seem to get much volume out of it.

Blowing harder doesn't seem to work.

Do any of you use one and what your method of pumping up the volume for when its windy?

Following reading all the great write ups.I finally got around to ordering my WAM fox whistle a week or so before the Xmas festivities. It actually arrived the week between Xmas and the New Year. After a bit of a play whilst the wife and kids were out at the sales I finally managed to get something that sounded like a convincing rabbit distress call out of it.Its already helped me bag a dog fox whilst out stalking early the other morning. However I can't seem to get much volume out of it.

Blowing harder doesn't seem to work.

Do any of you use one and what your method of pumping up the volume for when its windy?

23 views and no replies. <_< I thought this was the UK varmint hunter web site?

I have one and you can't get a loud sound out of them. I use a digital caller mainly but they are useful and you may be surprised how far they do call foxes in from.

You can put your hands around your mouth to direct the sound which can help a bit also like you were shouting.

23 views and no replies. <_< I thought this was the UK varmint hunter web site?

Malc,

I've had a Wam for a number of years and you won't get any high volume out of it they are designed to make a high pitch sound which foxes can hear several hundred yards away. I use mine in conjunction with a high volume caller (criRcall) to get the foxes attention then use the wam to bring him into range.

Andy

malc -with the WAM the harder you try the worse it sounds i found the grip is more important than blowing hard as andy states a fox will hear a little shrill/squeek from a long way off i think this makes them more curious.i also use a georgiescu fox whistle that is more effective on windy nights and the mark1 hand is good too.

keep practising and keep it clean when in your pocket better still keep it round your neck.

I have used the WAM call for many years now, I use two, one of which is the normal one which you buy,the second was dented by accident, this gives alot higher pitch which I have used to great effect,

The normal wam works well during the winter months , but the other dented one works very well during the summer.

You dont need to try and blow the nuts out of the call ,a medium release of breath whilst calling will do it all, the main thing is to try and use your tongue to give a little vibration to the sound when you call,

I have had foxes come in from half a mile away in the evenings with these calls , have you ever noticed when your out that dogs start barking when your calling, if you think about it they are a fair way away from where you are but they can still hear the sqeel.

Thanks lads.

I was starting to think I'd made my post on the wrong forum.

The WAM certainly makes the right noises, it was its lack of volume that had me a bit concerned. But I now know its not just me.

I have a call brought off Pat Carey (The Warrener) years ago that Pat brought back with him from one of his coyote shooting trips to the states, which can put out some volume it required.In fact I brought 2, one as a spare that's still in the desk draw unopened. I'll just have to carry on using Pats when I need to get the squeak out there to charlie 2 fields away.

I gave my Georgiescu fox whistle away to a young and keen as mustard lad to use when he left us for pastures new up in Scotland as I thought he'd get more use out of it up in those windy Scottish hills. I'll been toying with the idea of making myself a Tenterfield version for a while now.

Like others have said the volume with the WAM is not very loud, the tenterfield whistle/ Andre georgescu, is the one to get if you want volume, or take a look at the Warreners new fox call

I have a range of calls that i use, as you never know which one will end up getting the foxes attention.

It's not how loud you can blow it, it's how well you can use it. ( also known as "not the length of the wand but the magic in the stick").

It's no good making a lot of noise, charlie will come if he is interested. Personally, if I can't get a response from a fox, I'll stop. No point in continuing with its education. Perhaps I'll pick him up when he's more receptive.

I feel that there will soon be a problem with the overuse of electronic calls.

There is a lot more to controlling foxes than shooting the easy ones.

Sorry, that sounds a bit patronising - it's not meant to be.

I started my calling many years ago to get them in close enough to run with lurchers. Now most foxes we come across have probably been called at a good few times, maybe even missed ( must be mine!).

Good luck and watch the wind

I started my calling many years ago to get them in close enough to run with lurchers. Now most foxes we come across have probably been called at a good few times, maybe even missed ( must be mine!).

Good luck and watch the wind

Some of my lamping grounds have very very big fields that you can't or aren't able to drive on. So there's sometimes a need to reach out a fair ways and attract their attention. The only way you can do that is if you can pump up the volume. Especially if you're having to contend with a stiff wind.

I think you only educate a fox if you shoot and miss. Calling and getting no response or calling and deciding not to shoot does nothing by way of educating them. IMO

I too started calling foxes years ago but not to run them with a lurcher. It was so we could shotgun them or shoot them with a .22lr as the skins were worth money, and any extra income was very welcomed when you were only earning £15pw.

Archived