338?

I have shot a 338 lap mag with a brake and it makes a hugh difference in the kick,i didnt feel i could shoot it all day with out a brake on

I think i would only shoot mine once maybe twice without the brake on. Pure craziness to shoot without a brake.

I must be confusing the shehane with something else Grant.

Garry, i,ll tell you a funny tale about my .338 on its first outing. I had fitted it with an A-tec modular steel mod. Took it up to diggle for the 1000 yards benchrest and shot it off a bipod. After 5 rounds i couldn,t see the target for heat haze off the mod, and i couldn,t remove it, because it was so hot. :blink:

In the afternoon i took it off and shot five rounds without it. People were queing up to laugh as i was in so much pain during the second 5 shot string. I swore then and there that if a brake didn,t work [which it did ] the gun was going on the shelf. Monday morning, i fitted a Russ Gall pepperpot to it, and it reduced the recoil by at least half. Its now like shooting a .308

Mods are next to useless on a .338 for serious target work, and multiple rounds in succession. They dont tame the recoil enough, and after 5 rounds you can literally fry an egg on one.

• 7 months later...

Nothing puts a smile on your chops like a .338.

Its a long range gun, and takes over where the pipsqueaks stop. I,ve a list of calibres from 223 upwards.The 6.5 x 47 is out today for mcqueens, but when the range is past 500 and the wind is up, the cannon comes out......and it kicks ass.

Not cheap to run...but you dont shoot it every day. Apply it to its purpose and there is nothing that will live with it....except a Cheytac. :D

Gents... just joined the forum today and I have to agree with Dave on this one...... he built my 338 and its REAL fun to shoot at distance, its damned accurate AND its heavy so recoil is fine and I am only a 'little 'un' but can and do shoot it all day long. Mine easily outshot a Barrett Bravo.... happy days....if a tad expensive to feed!

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

Whoo Garry! sounds fun! :)

Myself I'd go 284 win as you get excellent 7mm ballistics, useable power, REALLY good barrel life i hear... and 338 is just so big...Although fun just to think about it ;)

Guest richness

Nothing puts a smile on your chops like a .338.

Its a long range gun, and takes over where the pipsqueaks stop. I,ve a list of calibres from 223 upwards.The 6.5 x 47 is out today for mcqueens, but when the range is past 500 and the wind is up, the cannon comes out......and it kicks ass.

Not cheap to run...but you dont shoot it every day. Apply it to its purpose and there is nothing that will live with it....except a Cheytac. :D

LOL you are a bad man! I want one now!! :D

Archived