9-36x56 tacticool IOr valada or other high mag scopes

skany

Hi guys

again i find myself toying with the idea of another high mag scope!

ive looked at / thru a 6-24 IOr with the m-8 ret & wasent overly impreased with the glass after hearing they were as good as S&B ect I found it about as good as the nxs i was compairing it next to!(not that nf are bad i really like mine!)

the 9-36 x56 sound very intresting & it looks as tho it has a fair few moa per rev but i read some worry reports regarding its mechanical functions!

going out of focus after firing & not tracking seems favorite!

Im using zeiss victory 6-24 x 56 thats very good but the higher mag MAY be usefull on the lite recoiling 6br but i dont want it to be pants to look thru after teh zeiss!

IT will be used for foxing to so i dont want ti focus fusy like the nxs can be under lamp!

so who uses one & wht do you think?

any other options that tick all the same boxs as the ior

ie

high mag

good glass

fine ret

iluminated

same sort of price range!

cheers Andy

I just swapped my 3-18x42 off my .20Tac. Firstly the objective lens was just too small and I wasn't happy.

Secondly the MP8 ret is far to bright when illuminated and covers so much of the target with the whole ret being illuminated. If it was just the centre dot it would be so much better. I found I was distracted and concentrated on the ret and struggled to take aim as quickly as I would have liked.

I now have a 5.5-22x50 nxs with ch3 on the .20tac and the 8-32x56 np2 dd my 6mmbr. I really appreciate the extra mag on The 6mmbr, I can see the bullet strike even on full mag. My dad has the x42 and we can still see the strike.

I'm happy with the nighforce glass, it's not upto zeiss quality but I bought both scopes for the price of a zeiss.

Andy,

I have a 9-36x56 and find it does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Glass is superb, reticle is very good if you have a purpose for it, although i find the centre dot very good as it doesnt obscure the target. It tracks well aswell.

Only downside is it doesnt look as good as my two nightforce but alot less money and that is the deciding factor for me.

Nightforce glass sucks in lowlight compared to it but the nightforce is tried and tested alot longer and has won many comps.

Pays yer money and takes youre choice.

Garry

skany, NXS is a great target scope (which is my application) however it does not compare to USO or S&B either glass wise or FOV (just what I tested together at the same time). My USO 3.8-22x44 ERGO is usable a fair bit longer at dusk / dawn and has a better FOV at the same magnification than my 56mm objective NXS scopes.

However the 22x top on the USO is not what I want. If 22x is enogh top end for you I would not mind getting rid of it.

David.

cheers for ur input guys

the ret does looks to much as it has adjsutable turrets can see the point in filling the glass up with tons of lines!

if only the 12-50x56pm2 ws iluminated:-( or had a ret u could see in the dark!

david

im uing a zeiss victory with 24x so 22 time would be to low im afraid!

thanks for the offer tho!

cheers Andy

Andy, I'm with you on the S&B - does not look like they will be doing an illuminated version any time soon though - however SHOT show is this month so worth waiting for any surprises.

I remember Doctor OptiK used to offer a small attachment to the front of scopes to provide an illuminated point.

David.

Andy

From what I remember, the 24 mag IOR seemed slightly brighter than the 36 Mag IOR ( when on put them both on 24 mag ).

So if you didn't think much of the 24 mag , you might want to serve its bigger , uglier brother.

The optics on both are very good , but I found the reticule a little distracting for varminting.

Personally I think the Zeiss Victory has enough mag unless your going to shoot blue bottles at 1000 yrds :lol:

I achieved my PB at weekend with clean kill on a carrion crow which was very nearly into four figures .... mind you it looked ####### small ..... how much are those Schmidts :)

ATB

Alan

Andy

From what I remember, the 24 mag IOR seemed slightly brighter than the 36 Mag IOR ( when on put them both on 24 mag ).

So if you didn't think much of the 24 mag , you might want to serve its bigger , uglier brother.

The optics on both are very good , but I found the reticule a little distracting for varminting.

Personally I think the Zeiss Victory has enough mag unless your going to shoot blue bottles at 1000 yrds :lol:

I achieved my PB at weekend with clean kill on a carrion crow which was very nearly into four figures .... mind you it looked ####### small ..... how much are those Schmidts :)

ATB

Alan

hi alan

great shot by the sound of it!:-)

ive got the number 60ret on teh br & im thinking it looks a little big at long range!

ill see how i get on with once im set up to dial but i think its to fat!(waiting for a rail)

cheers Andy

I just swapped my 3-18x42 off my .20Tac. Firstly the objective lens was just too small and I wasn't happy.

Secondly the MP8 ret is far to bright when illuminated and covers so much of the target with the whole ret being illuminated. If it was just the centre dot it would be so much better. I found I was distracted and concentrated on the ret and struggled to take aim as quickly as I would have liked.

I now have a 5.5-22x50 nxs with ch3 on the .20tac and the 8-32x56 np2 dd my 6mmbr. I really appreciate the extra mag on The 6mmbr, I can see the bullet strike even on full mag. My dad has the x42 and we can still see the strike.

I'm happy with the nighforce glass, it's not upto zeiss quality but I bought both scopes for the price of a zeiss.

scotch egg can i ask is the ch3 ret for target work or live quarry as i would like to know is it to fine for vermin work day or night cheers carim

Carim,

I have only just had the CH-3 but I really like it. It wouldn't be my first choice for stalking as you have to concentrate more on the ret. However it is nice and fine for precision shots and I have no issues out on the hills picking my shots whilst varminting.

At night is where is really works for me. The single illuminated dot provides no distraction unlike the MP-8 on the IOR. Along with the .20Tac I can point an shoot out to 300 yards. The NP-2DD works well on loopy calibre's like my 6mmbr as it does give some form of calibration in the ret allowing you to judge elevation and windage adjustment.

Skany, how long have you been waiting? I went with a GA Precision from the states becausae it is a solid rail with no cut out for the port as its not needed on the Lawton action. Might be an alternative if your desperate mine came in a week or so.

Carim,

I have only just had the CH-3 but I really like it. It wouldn't be my first choice for stalking as you have to concentrate more on the ret. However it is nice and fine for precision shots and I have no issues out on the hills picking my shots whilst varminting.

At night is where is really works for me. The single illuminated dot provides no distraction unlike the MP-8 on the IOR. Along with the .20Tac I can point an shoot out to 300 yards. The NP-2DD works well on loopy calibre's like my 6mmbr as it does give some form of calibration in the ret allowing you to judge elevation and windage adjustment.

Skany, how long have you been waiting? I went with a GA Precision from the states becausae it is a solid rail with no cut out for the port as its not needed on the Lawton action. Might be an alternative if your desperate mine came in a week or so.

ukgunworks are sending me mine so i shouldnt be waiting to long as its in stock!

how do u find extraction with your lawton out of intrest?

mine seems a bit limp wich i guess is down to the case being so short!

cheers Andy

My 6mmbr flings them out nice. But the .20Tac can be a bit limp. I don't find it an issue though because I can keep track of the brass!

I think yours is a more modern single shot lawton isnt it?

is yours a sako type extractor in the outer lug?

mine just stays in the port & i have to fidle it out unless i keep presure on the brass with my finger to keep it on the extractor then lift it out!

if theres a bullet in the case still its fine!

cheers Andy

Archived