6mm BR Donor rifle

Early next year I'll be after a 6mm BR, can't afford a full custom job at the moment so it will have to be a donor rifle re barrel to start with and then build from that.

I've had a lot of good, helpful advice off Neil McKillop (thank you) but am curious to know what donor rifle you guys used.

As I'm left handed my options will be limited unless I use a ambidextrous stock, right hand bolt (AGAIN)

A Tikka 595 22-250 synthetic seems the best option at the moment but I doubt I will be lucky enough to find a lefty (not even sure they made it left handed)

Anyone used a Remmy 700 SPS VARMINT LEFT HAND 22-250 CAT # 84226 for their donor?

I'm not really fussed if the mag doesn’t function properly I've only ever had single shot rifles anyway.

Many Thanks

Andy

My donor was a R/H Rem 700 VLS .243win, I had the action trued and a Dave Kiff ( PT&G ) bolt fitted and used a heavy Kreiger 1-8 tube .269 neck.

Its wonderful to load for and smooth as butter when the bolt is cycled. Ive had a single shot loading tray fitted. I may convert it back to mag fed one day as it now sits in a AICS stock.

Keep your eye out for an early 700 action ( I'm not 100% certain but have heard they are where built better than the newer stuff..)

I posted a picture of it earlier in the for sale section...its not for sale but the stock may be if i can find a McM Tactical replacement.

Hey Andy,

I am left handed and my 6mmBR is built on a M590 action (from a shot out 22-250). Sako has a left handed .308, seen one in Guntrader last week for little over £400. I cannot say enough good things about these actions, mine has not disappointed ever. I personally don't like the Remingtons, others here love them... I would definitely look for the M595, M590 and the Sako (I think it is a 579, but I could well be wrong...).

best of luck with your quest!

Finman

I,ve built lefties in 6mmbr on remmy,s and they have fed well with minor tweaks.

I have a 595 r/h sat in the shop now in 6mmbr. Its going to proof in the new year.

595, 6mmbr, 1 in 9" twist border, s/cut, stainless, fully bedded into a black, grey, dark grey mcmillan sako 75 style stock. It was originally a 22-250, and runs its original mag and floorplate. Barrel profile is rem pss. A nice, mid weight stalker/varminter.

I have several r/h rem early actions in .308 bolt face.

For not a lot more, you can have a custom, true left hand action, in whatever you want.

I,ve built lefties in 6mmbr on remmy,s and they have fed well with minor tweaks.

I have a 595 r/h sat in the shop now in 6mmbr. Its going to proof in the new year.

595, 6mmbr, 1 in 9" twist border, s/cut, stainless, fully bedded into a black, grey, dark grey mcmillan sako 75 style stock. It was originally a 22-250, and runs its original mag and floorplate. Barrel profile is rem pss. A nice, mid weight stalker/varminter.

I have several r/h rem early actions in .308 bolt face.

For not a lot more, you can have a custom, true left hand action, in whatever you want.

DAVE is this rifle sold or for sale?

I am in the process of valuing a rem 700 22/250 vssf, lefthand action, do i sell the whole rifle -rem vssf left hand, badger bolt handle,jewell trigger and t8 mod 22/250- so 308 bolt face. Would the rifle do better broken up and the trigger,stock and mod sold seperate on the net.

• 1 month later...
Guest richness

I agree with Dave; i'd save few a few more weeks and get a full custom action exactly how you want it. Have you seen that valkery valkerie valkeryie... ######, have you seen Baldie's new action? - it's GORGEOUS! I honestly would save up and get one of them mate.

However, if donor rifle is the way you want to go, the sakos seem to have a good reputation and i can personally vouch for a blueprinted R700 (although I wouldn't do it again) There are little niggles you can never iron out with a donor action though; eg my r700 points downhill a LOT of MOA and that is something you cannot easily correct. It's A GIT to correct if it is side to side misaligment, not vertical....

HTH Richard Utting :)

On Guntrader at present is a Parker Hale 22.250 at £175, several BSA's .243s at £275 ish, one of those would be ideal. My 20BR builder builds his own customs on BSA actions, they shoot sweetly. OK you cant hand a Jwel trigger on them but the trigger can be made to be pretty sweet.

A

On Guntrader at present is a Parker Hale 22.250 at £175, several BSA's .243s at £275 ish, one of those would be ideal. My 20BR builder builds his own customs on BSA actions, they shoot sweetly. OK you cant hand a Jwel trigger on them but the trigger can be made to be pretty sweet.

A

Thanks for that, I've had to put the project on hold for a while as Dibble won't allow me to have a 6br slot on my FAC, their excuse is that I already have a 6mm in my 6mmppc and they don't allow duplicate calibers! :angry::angry::angry:

Thanks for that, I've had to put the project on hold for a while as Dibble won't allow me to have a 6br slot on my FAC, their excuse is that I already have a 6mm in my 6mmppc and they don't allow duplicate calibers! :angry::angry::angry:

old bill allways have to put a stop to the fun. shame there was a cheap lefthanded tikka m590 in 308 not long back on one of the forums

Archived