So whats everyone been up to this weekend?

Guest northernchris

Changing nappies and getting puked on :( Hopefully will be out to play vey soon though :D

;):P;);)

So glad mine have grown up ;)

A bit of lamping last night with my Son, and we had a great time. Up the Shoot today putting out more feeders, my son bagging some squirrells and some mxy bunnies with the shottie. Chilling out this evening getting all sorted for the FEO visit 1st thing in the morning ;)

What about you Chris??

done a 100 mile round trip yesterday to a gun shop for some 40g v-max which were supposed to be go there and they were not there got home and played around with some new wilson dies and my arbor press. Done the usual stuff today cleaned the car and the van cleaned up the work shop and took an opportunist crow with the rimmie, just before dark I saw two foxes behind the house but they were in with a big flock of sheep and they wouldnt listen to my calls, il have to get them another time. Nothing interesting just living normal day to day lfe. What about you chris?

Guest northernchris

Apart from workshop stuff,went playing playing with the Steyr on saturday and today met up with Ian (Vermincinerator) to fire a few rounds off with the rifles.

Plus we finally found a bolt for the 1903 Manlicher Shoener stuzen 6.5 x 54 and the good news is shes up and running again ;) the rifles is a real blast from the past,it brought back great memorys for me,i first shot the same rifle over 20 years ago when i started as a stalker on the estate at Dalwhinnie which i used to shoot my 1st stag:)

For me the weekend started Friday evening when I went foxing with Vim, Saturday and Sunday were spent watching the wife decorating the lounge, i did help her this afternoon though, I got out of her way and took the kids and the dog conkering!!

For me the weekend started Friday evening when I went foxing with Vim, Saturday and Sunday were spent watching the wife decorating the lounge, i did help her this afternoon though, I got out of her way and took the kids and the dog conkering!!

;):P;););) Just doing the loving Father bit, but not the husband bit ;):D TOP MAN :(

Guest 308Panther

Worked Sat...

Took the Hog for a ride up to Cabelas...Didnt find all I was lookin for.

But got a decoy bag to replace the one that ripped last weekend and

a sling for the Benelli to replace the one that mysteriously disappeared.

Now if my Upland Vest would show up,I would be a really happy camper.

308Panther

Worked Sat...

Took the Hog for a ride up to Cabelas...Didnt find all I was lookin for.

But got a decoy bag to replace the one that ripped last weekend and

a sling for the Benelli to replace the one that mysteriously disappeared.

Now if my Upland Vest would show up,I would be a really happy camper.

308Panther

In one way i'm glad we don't have Cabelas over here because if we did i would be in sssooooo much debt ;):P;)

Been up the West coast of Scotland, stayed out on the Isle of Skye Fri and Sat..Climbed a Cuillan(sp), thought was in shape, now realising am in a different shape. Gorgeous weekend though, clear skies, warmish temps, lovely, the lochs were smooth as glass..awesome.

This week, I finish out my last week at Border, and get ready for my new tour stateside.

JR

Guest 308Panther
In one way i'm glad we don't have Cabelas over here because if we did i would be in sssooooo much debt ;):P;)

Its just like shooting.....its a dicipline.

And since I like the money to stay in my

pocket and not theirs....its easy.

Its even easier when they dont have what ya want, too.

Wich forces me to use their on-line store....

That takes abit of self control....

308Panther

Fishing Saturday, stalk Sunday

first spiker of the season. Was a quick

free standing shot at a little over 100yds downhill.

Shot went too far back, thankfully the 165sst's compensated

and dropped him on the spot. Funny not that much blood splash.

Very little meat damage.

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

edi

I was out with a pal on Saturday.

First off shooting at long range with the 22-250 and his 6mmBR. I say 'shooting' but really it was hours and hours of glassing for something to shoot at. 'Oh dear, nothing to shoot' you might say but we had a flask of coffee, the sun was shining and it was blissful which is why we couldn't be bothered to go somewhere else. We had a couple of pots at the odd bunnie that showed its face (555 yards) and a magpie (300 yards) and after we both missed we had a session checking zeroes and shooting for group.

Then, as the sun went down the bats came out. Their squeaks are too high pitched for me to hear now but I could still see them silhouetted against the sunset. Down in the low-lying parts of the farm a light mist gathered and then rolled away before gathering again. We saw a couple of foxes but the caller didn't bring them in so we went for a curry.

After the curry we went lamping on the golf course. I think we've whacked most of the bunnies on this course because we only got six. They say that golf is a good walk in the countryside ruined. If that's true then lamping a golf course is a good walk enhanced. This is a seaside course and for most of the holes you can hear the waves on the shoreline. There was a clear sky and three-quarter moon so the land was light enough to see the trees and folds of the course with thick mist in the dips. The lamp wouldn't penetrate there so it was a shorter 'round' than usual and we finished at about 1:00am.

Awesome.

U leaveing border for good JR?

I reckon so. Was a hard decision to make, this is home to me, and it's been such a pleasure and honour living and working here..Definitely going to have some withdrawal symptoms, me twice weekly fish and chip suppers, indian curries, proper pints of Guinness, the call at half stupid o'clock to do some lamping...Hope if I have left my mark, that my presence hasn't done too much damage to UK-US relations at the very least, haha..Naw, ya'll have been great, and as much as I hear people talk about wishing to live in the US, they don't realise what they have here. The UK is truly special.

JR

What will you miss most.......Tennents Lager? ;)

Aye, that'll be it, nee longer the Scottish diet of portion of chips washed down wi' a packet of fags and a warm refreshing pint of the big red T, straight off the tin, best et late nite on a public park bench in full display of passersby..hah..I always called Tennents 'headache medicine'..Was sure to give you one in the morning..

JR

JR,

After about 10 years as a displaced Brit I still miss a half decent curry, fish and chips and steak pudding, chips and gravey.

Also I am very happy to have at least one excellent barrel made by you....really excellent.

Cornishman.....you did not have to mention the curry....that hurt

David.

Good luck and many thanks for your help JR.

Have a great time when you get back home.

You'll find you'll take a bit of the UK back with you which will be special.

hope you get to return one day.

Cheers

and thanks, that Ackley is spot on ;)

Dave

Good luck and many thanks for your help JR.

Have a great time when you get back home.

You'll find you'll take a bit of the UK back with you which will be special.

hope you get to return one day.

Cheers

and thanks, that Ackley is spot on ;)

Dave

No problem Dai..Even though buttoned barrels aren't my usual gig, it was important to me that you got the service you were entitled to, so took that one on personally..I got just as much of a kick out of makin the barrels for ya'll as you do shooting them. I'll take something back with me, there is no doubt. 5.5 years here leaves a heck of a dent in the psyche. Life is experience, and it's been a good'n..

JR

Guest Dave 101

Had my first night out on the new shoot , a golf course , by all accounts over run with rabbits ??????? The lie of the land was very hilly well gullies , high ridges and the greens and drive off points down below nice for shootin into always safe backstops , only saw one rabbit , went for a late evening recon on some of the area . then went out with the rifles and lamps for a couple of hours , the problem was it had to be walked to see anything , the tracks are all down in the gullies . Will try again with an early morning sortie . Dave ps the whole area was scrubland no wooded bit couldnt see where rabbits would have burrows , although we have been given details of which greens are suffering damage .

Archived