Dont take people as other people see them.

lancslad

My wife takes my dog for a walk in the mornings after she has dropped our daughter at school.

She heads down into some woodland and the lad has a good run, on the way down to the woods is a house, where an old boy lives. Apparently according to local discussion a right cantakerous bloke.

A few hellos and a few good mornings as the wife has been passing by resulted in said bloke stopping and asking about my dog, yup hes a gun dog said the wife, old bloke takes lots of interest in him. Resulting in an offer to buy him. Now Im suprised that the wife didnt take the cash and say "hes run off" lol.

But it then transpires that said old cantankerous bloke is into his shooting and would love a dog.

Over the next few months, we get to know him a bit better as we take the dog out with the kids on the weekends and pass his house each time we go into the woods.

A great bit of local knowledge comes from him, and over the year we have got to know him quite well, yup, he does his thing and he likes things the way he likes them. But what a lovely bloke, hes become the wifes second dad.

We have him round for sunday dinner and he turns up in his tweed jacket and tie, bless him. Hes coming for xmas dinner this year.

From getting to know him, I now have regular duck shooting, a few walked up days, and given that he used to do a bit of stalking, although he hast been for some time and he has lost his slot on his ticket for his 30.06.

We went to see it in storage the other day, a lovely 30.06 double rifle. A Rigby.

He came out with something from the blue. Get a slot, and you can use it. I want to see it getting some use.

GOBSMACKED.

This rifle is a thing of beauty, comes up sooooooo well, ballanced, a pure bit of workmanship. He told me to put in for a variation. I have done, and made a call to the Firearms dept today. Yup no problem all cleared. send your cheque off and it will be with you by next week.

So, dont listen to what people say, get to know people yourself.....

As I have always said you should always make your own mind up about people rather than take other peoples word for it.I work with offenders and if I took any notice of some of their pre-sentence reports I would never want to work with any of them.The PSR's are done mainly by young girls that have little or no life experience at all,so,their ideas of what someone is like is very often coloured by their first meeting that could be just 10mins(very unfair)!

well done to your good lady for not prejudging him,by others feelings.

Martin

Archived