Case tumbling, polishing, tarnish removal, etc.

deerman

Hi guys,

I have read quite a few threads on the forum covering the above, but am still confused as to the best method to clean cases. As a total nOOb (novice) to reloading, I want to try and make use of the long winter nights to learn the basics of reloading. I have tumbled a batch of .243 and .308 cases in walnut media. After over 6 hours in the tumbler, many of the cases still show soot marks, specially around the neck. Natural instinct tells me: just grab a wad of steel wool and give it a good going over, but from what I have been reading here this is the wrong thing to do. I am trying to avoid learning the wrong way and consolidating bad habits that may result in bad results on paper and end up very time-consuming, so I fear I will be turning to the knowledge-base here on a very regular basis in the weeks to come!

There appears to be so many pitfalls to reloading that at times I have asked myself if I'd better leave that alone and continue contributing to the fat dividends Federal shareholders get every year from people like myself. But I am not yet willing to give up even before loading my very first round.

Are there safe products that I can use on brass to remove these marks and polish the cases? Is the problem due to the fact that I left the cases lying around for years after they were used before deciding to give reloading a go? Is it correct that although lube should be applied to the case prior to resizing, none should be applied to the neck, and if so why?

Look forward to your replies and advice.

Best,

George

I always try to clean cases within 24hrs of firing, they clean easier then than later on and years on it is a lot more of a job.

There is no question that cleaning in an Ulrasonic bath is the quickest and most successful method, plus the inside of the case is as clean as the outside, back to as new in fact. This is not just nice but consistency gives accuracy, as each time all the variables are the same as far as your reload goes.

I have been using Ultrasonics for case cleaning and cleaning of all sorts of other things as well for over 15 yrs and would not go back to hand cleaning now at all. there are various cleaning solutions that you dilute and most work very well without damaging or weaking the brass, vinegar ( Acetic Acid) does work but it leaves the cases dull and etched and if overdone can weaken the brass, so I no longer use that at all. After about 15- 20 mins in a cleaning bath with one of the proper solutions, the cases will be bright and spotlessly clean, another ten mins in the tumbler with either walnut or corn cob and some polish and your cases will be like new and ready for reloading. I wipe the cases and resize them before Ultrasonic and polishing as both processes remove any trace of resizing lube, which you absolutely dont want on/in the case.

There are decent U/sonic baths for sale on ebay from time to time at good prices, you want a 100/150 watt input or more device so you can do a reasonable number of cases at a time, there are smaller cheaper units if you only want to do 10 -20 cases at a time.

Redfox

I always try to clean cases within 24hrs of firing, they clean easier then than later on and years on it is a lot more of a job.

There is no question that cleaning in an Ulrasonic bath is the quickest and most successful method, plus the inside of the case is as clean as the outside, back to as new in fact. This is not just nice but consistency gives accuracy, as each time all the variables are the same as far as your reload goes.

I have been using Ultrasonics for case cleaning and cleaning of all sorts of other things as well for over 15 yrs and would not go back to hand cleaning now at all. there are various cleaning solutions that you dilute and most work very well without damaging or weaking the brass, vinegar ( Acetic Acid) does work but it leaves the cases dull and etched and if overdone can weaken the brass, so I no longer use that at all. After about 15- 20 mins in a cleaning bath with one of the proper solutions, the cases will be bright and spotlessly clean, another ten mins in the tumbler with either walnut or corn cob and some polish and your cases will be like new and ready for reloading. I wipe the cases and resize them before Ultrasonic and polishing as both processes remove any trace of resizing lube, which you absolutely dont want on/in the case.

There are decent U/sonic baths for sale on ebay from time to time at good prices, you want a 100/150 watt input or more device so you can do a reasonable number of cases at a time, there are smaller cheaper units if you only want to do 10 -20 cases at a time.

Redfox

Redfox,

Thanks very much. I will look into the ultrasonic route and see what I can find and at what cost. I tried using vinegar on a couple of cases last night and the gunk from the outside of the case did come off, although there is still faint marks around the neck. I am not sure how detrimental vinegar is to case integrity and would appreciate the input from the more experienced reloaders on the forum.

Best,

George

I,ve tried allsorts over the years, and as redfox says, the ultrasonic is the best.The big drawback for me, is that the cases need drying. Without a doubt, the best way is an airing cupboard overnight, but i dont have one now, after the combi boiler went in.

The best stuff by far for the ulrasonic is birchwood casey case cleaner. Simply dilute it with a couple of pints of water, and away you go....it shifts anything, and wont damage the brass.

I do cases once every three or four firings like this. Inbetween, i stick them in the tumbler with treated corn cob for a few hours, this fetches the outsides up like new.

George,

I've also ended up with method similar to Dave's.

I found a new industrial ultrasonic cleaner at work which I 'liberated' that holds 250+ cases and has some useful functions.

Agree on the Birchwood Casey cleaning solution. You see all sorts of recipies banded about but this stuff works and simply washes off. Also if you drain it into a couple of plastic milk jugs the dirt sediments out. I destroyed a few cases using some of the supposed 'great cleaning solutions' seen elseware (6.5x47 brass @ 93p a go :mad: ). The idustrial unit also has a 'degas' function which I found to imporve the cleaning and shortens the time - my guess is air bubbles do not transmit the 'sound' as well.

As my unit handles a pile of cases I now apply spray on sizing lube, size and chamfer, ultrasonic clean, dry on top of the AGA, tumble, then carry on with the loading process every time.

I also shoot 45-70 with black powder and the ultra sonic cleaner brings these cases back to 'out of the box' condition, which on the inside is essential for this type of reloading.

Cheers Terry

• 1 month later...

I've used both tumbling alone, ultrasonic alone, ultrasonic followed by tumbling and finally using stainless steel pins and a rotary tumbler. By far the most effective is the stainless steel pins, the only drawback being that you have to dry the cases afterwards, I do it with the wife's hair dryer when she's not looking.

Archived