Barnard actions (rust)

provarmint

A light coating of oil????

Seriously you'll have to tell us more info than that eg where are you getting the rust? In the cabinet? On the Range? hunting etc.

The rifle is kept in a cabinet with other rifles,shotguns none of which seem to suffer, always has a light coating of oil after a good clean,just seems to be very prone, especially inside the action, around bolt cutout and extraction port

Haven't had a problem with mine. I'd suspect you have higher than desirable humidity where you store them.

There's a huge variation in the effectiveness of various "oils" at corrosion prevention.

From memory, one US shooting website did a systematic test of common ones.

Chris-NZ

Haven't had a problem with mine. I'd suspect you have higher than desirable humidity where you store them.

There's a huge variation in the effectiveness of various "oils" at corrosion prevention.

From memory, one US shooting website did a systematic test of common ones.

Chris-NZ

Chris,

The rifle is stored in a cabinet with Sako,Berreta and Weihrauch rifles/shotguns, none of which exhibit the same amount of corrosion.

Guest dasherman

All the new P and S Barnard actions I've had in have come with a coating of what looks like rusty oil inside. Takes a bit to get out. Even after cleaning them the bolts come out with smears on them. I think it must be the oil used in hardening/bluing or a preservative they spray on before shipping. Some actions have had a redish tinge inside the ports as well.

All the new P and S Barnard actions I've had in have come with a coating of what looks like rusty oil inside. Takes a bit to get out. Even after cleaning them the bolts come out with smears on them. I think it must be the oil used in hardening/bluing or a preservative they spray on before shipping. Some actions have had a redish tinge inside the ports as well.

Picture sent to Barnard

Barnard said they have no explanation, they have never seen that effect before, and recommend only a light oiling for short term storage. As said before rifle is kept in a safe with others none of which show any sign of corrosion.

That does indeed look like bluing salt residue, being moved about by the bolt. I would get the barrel whipped back off, and get your smith to flush it all out, and a good scrub internally, then a reasemble with a good oil.

Barnards are good quality, that shouldn,t look like that.

That does indeed look like bluing salt residue, being moved about by the bolt. I would get the barrel whipped back off, and get your smith to flush it all out, and a good scrub internally, then a reasemble with a good oil.

Barnards are good quality, that shouldn,t look like that.

Cheers guys going back to the smith A.S.A.P

Archived