UKV Challenge Shoot 5th April 2009

Saturday night was spent sorting out all the gear I would need for the UKV challenge shoot on Sunday, plenty of targets, some roe and fox silhouettes and I was all set to go on Sunday morning all I needed to do was to grab my rifles in the morning.

I got to the severn bridge and realised I left my jackets at home!!!! I was hoping the weather was going to stay fine.

I pulled up at Grahams at 10:15 and there were already people there, spoke to Graham and he said for me to pull into the stubble field as the other guy’s with 4x4’s were there also.

The ground was already arranged with targets, and the set up was 100 yards, a zeroing target and then to the right paint balls were set on golf teas, 10 in total 5 on red T’s and 5 on blue, a direct hit would only count and any broken T’s would be taken off the score, so 5 shots per person.

Then there were target boards at 200 and 300 yards, the 200 yard target would be 4 shots at a scoring bulls-eye and then 2 shots at Fly’s, then at 300 yards 1 shot at a Groundhog and 5 shots at a bulls-eye.

UKVshoot5-04-09376.jpg

UKVshoot5-04-09262.jpg

Then later on in the day we would have a go at 600 yards on a gong!!!! (need to get my variation in for another rifle I think…..)

Then it was a read through the instruction for the day, SAFETY being paramount and anyone that wasn’t happy with it was free to leave, glad to say everyone was more than happy with the brief.

So first up was a check of zero for a few people, and then onto shooting the paintballs.

Now when I say paint balls I mean the ones that they use for paintballing fun, and at 100 yards these were going to be a very testing target as only a direct hit would count, and any hits on the golf T’s it would be taken off your score.

Everyone done well on them, and they were a challenge that’s for sure, not sure of the diameter of them.

UKVshoot5-04-09439.jpg

While o the subject of checking the zero Grant had first of all fitted a sound mod on his rifle and after a few rounds he was not happy with the way the rifle was shooting, so off came the mod and another zeroing session. Now did Grant any stick for this………I’m sure there were a few comments made and I’m sure the laughter may have been off putting. :):D

UKVshoot5-04-09118.jpg

UKVshoot5-04-09119-1.jpg

There were so many different rifle’s there from full custom rifle’s to standard off the shelf hunting rifle’s, and it was nice to see so many in one place.

The same was for different calibre’s, from .222 up to .308, and the scope combinations were as varied.

UKVshoot5-04-09443.jpg

It was nice to see some young lads there that Graham had kindly arranged to come along and it was their first time with centre fire rifles, they were coached by Graham and he also let them use his rifle’s and ammo, a very kind gesture.

UKVshoot5-04-09098.jpg

UKVshoot5-04-09355.jpg

The target stands were made by Ian & Grant and the design was taken from the 6mm site, and a very portable shooting target stand they are, light weight and easy to dismantle if needed for just fold them up.

UKVshoot5-04-09462.jpg

Time was getting on, as everyone was happy to be chatting with everyone, but we still had the 200, 300 and hopefully the 600 yard gong to shoot, so it was everyone back to the bench for the 200 yard target.

UKVshoot5-04-09272.jpg

UKVshoot5-04-09241.jpg

The wind had picked up a bit and that would add to the challenge, so after the 200 yard target it was onto the 300 yard target. And to save time we had two shooters on different benches, as there were two target stands at both ranges, so that would also aid in the scoring too, walking back and forth was not easy Grant and Ratswhiskers done a very good job.

We didn’t get time to shoot the gong, as we were chatting too much…….but having a great day.

Vermincinerator (Ian) has the results

Many thanks to everyone who attended and especially to those who helped to organise it.

A Fantastic writeup Kip!!! :):D

You guys and girls sure looked like you all had a great time!!!! :D

Thanks for the writeup!!!!! ;)B)

All the best..................

RAY.......................................... :D :D

Hi all,

Following on from Kips excellent write up and pics, here is the course of fire and results.

Stage 1. 100yds.

The Paintball shoot, the idea is to shoot 5 paintballs off the top of golf tees without hitting the tee, with 6 shots.

The reason for 6 shots was that in the event of a tye and all 5 paintballs being hit, the competitor who did it in 5 shots would win.

The paintballs measured .690" diameter.

Stage 2. 200yds.

4 shots on a pastel coloured bullseye target with a 2" 10 zone and a 1" V-bull, then 1 shot each on 2 fly targets.

Stage 3. 300yds.

1 shot on digitised Prairie Dog target which when enlarged more resembled a badger, hence there after became known as the "badger target," followed by 5 shots on a black bullseye target with a 3" 10 zone and a 2" V-bull.

Stage 4.

Was to have been 5 shots at an unknown distance (around 550-600yds) 16" diameter steel gong.

Alas time constraints did not allow us to shoot this stage but the idea was to estimate the range without range finding devices, (mil-dots excepted) and ring the target 5 times.

We will make sure that this target definitely gets incorporated in next years shoot.

Results.

1st. Grant (Streaker59)......................89.1pnts

2nd Phil (guest)..............................80.1

3rd William (Shrek)..............................75.0

4th Graham (Grahamfarmer)................72.0 *Graham shot his 243 for this placing*

5th Richard (Custarddog).....................68.0 *Richard did not finish the course as it was alleged his

rifle was nobbled*

6th Dave (Ratwhiskers)....................66.0

7th Ian. (Vermincinerator)..............55.0

8th Chris (Kip 270)...........................45.0

9th Graham (Grahamfarmer)................34.0 *Graham shot his 308 for this placing*

10th Zack (guest).............................30.0 *Zack had never shot a rifle before, well done*

11th Carl (guest).............................27.0

" Matthew (guest)............................27.0

12th Jan (guest)............................26.0

13th Lisa (Girlfriday).......................20.0

I now have a year to devise more varmint related targets, i think the paintballs are a great idea but the set up needs refining, the anticipated explosive effect did not happen so i may be looking for something equally challenging but more visually explosive.

Re-active targets are also on my agenda so that no range crew is needed to score each shooters target.

I look forward to next time :)

Ian.

Looks like it was fun, a pity I was given one or the other day off of choice.

Next year, I hope to come.

Ian

Tannerrite may be good as a "reactive" (if its legal here) also asprins create a little "puff" when hit.

Water filled balloons?

12 months to congugate anyway :)

Thanks Steve. :)

I cant wait for next years comp and there was me considering selling my .243 Sako.. My faith in the lady is renewed..

I've been using my .308 & .223 for comps for so long now, i'd forgotten how good the lil 6 mm could perform..

Well done to everyone and involved and a special well done to those organising, setting up etc.

How about raw eggs at maybe 150 or so, be a bit big for 100. I did think the paint ball idea was ingenious and that target stand from plumbing pipe, another excellent idea.

A

Great write up ,that target stand looks like a good thing to have and may just buy some paintballs for some fun target practice

Archived