284Win - Primer Choice

OK folks, some advice needed.....

Best Primers for a Straight 284Win using H4831SC, what are people using, standard or magnum?

Also any preferred brands, I have CCI BR-2, Fedral Magnum or Standard at my disposal.

Many thanks in advance

Bruce

The basic Russian Murom LR primer works very well in the 284 Bruce - that's the KVB-7. I've also used the so-called Magnum version of this model successfully in 284 and Shehane, the KVB-7M. The 7 and even the 7M are very 'mild' models and that's generally what works best in this cartridge even with charge weights in the mid to high 50s grains.

Before anything else though, try the CCI-BR2s you have. This is a mild and very consistent model. Avoid the Rem 9 1/2 and 9 1/2M, both very 'hot', also the Federal 215 LR magnum and its 215M 'match' version. Exceptionally 'hot' and in a cartridge the size of the 284 tend to produce large MV spreads. (Might suit a mid winter 600 fixture with temps at minus 10 though! :D )

I'm assuming you're using a realtively easy to ignite powder such as Viht N165 or the now lost H4831'shortcut'.

I've only used BR2's in mine and after 10/11 firings some of my primer pockets are not such a snug fit so I will start putting these cases to one side ready to swap over to the muroms as there a fraction bigger which should give me several more firings.

Using muroms in new brass is a real squeeze seating them 😅