Whidden F/L sizer die neck tension

Catch-22

Now  I usually use the expander mandrel rather than the sizer button in the sizer die, but this time I forgot 🙄 & the latest brass I’ve sized has basically no neck tension...I can push a bullet into the neck with a little force.

My Whidden F/L sizer is the non-bushing type, which I got as they themselves confess produces better concentricity than bushing dies.

The only change in regime is the expander button, and  I can only assume it’s expanding the neck too much. It’s their standard/default .264 expander button, which is weird as you can only use Lapua brass, so Whidden shouldn’t have had to grind the buttons to accommodate a wide variety of brass manufacturers and brass thickness.

Clearly the expander button is going in the bin before I do it again, but has anyone else with a Whidden F/L non-bushing die had similar issues?

Hi Catch,

Have you measured the button and mandrel to confirm the size difference?

Is there a chance that the wrong button was supplied with the die from whidden?

I've found whidden to be really helpful, might be worth asking then to confirm the size that the button should be and check to see if there is a fault there. I'm sure they would send you a replacement if there's a fault. 

All the best

Grant

I had issues with a forster BR die set,first one skimmed brass off the necks ,i neck turned them all to uniform necks,sent the die back and the new one i was sent over resized the necks,it had a 7mm button on a 6.5 cal die 🤪

This may be your problem too...!

I sent this die back aswell and someone from forster rang me from the US appoligizing for the problems I had,asked me for some damaged brass etc etc, he got Hannams to send me another die set and micrometre seater as compensation for my aggro.

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

I had issues with a forster BR die set,first one skimmed brass off the necks ,i neck turned them all to uniform necks,sent the die back and the new one i was sent over resized the necks,it had a 7mm button on a 6.5 cal die 🤪

This may be your problem too...!

I sent this die back aswell and someone from forster rang me from the US appoligizing for the problems I had,asked me for some damaged brass etc etc, he got Hannams to send me another die set and micrometre seater as compensation for my aggro.

Was that a 6.5X47 die that skimmed the neck?

12 hours ago, gruntus said:

Hi Catch,

Have you measured the button and mandrel to confirm the size difference?

Is there a chance that the wrong button was supplied with the die from whidden?

I've found whidden to be really helpful, might be worth asking then to confirm the size that the button should be and check to see if there is a fault there. I'm sure they would send you a replacement if there's a fault. 

All the best

Grant

Hi mate,

That was a very good shout, I hadn’t thought of mic’ing the button. It was indeed a 7mm button. 

Ive had a response from Whidden who were deeply apologetic - just a small mistake when someone put the button in the box. 

As i don’t use the buttons anyway (my mistake the 1st time!) it doesn’t matter to me. Just one of those things. 

Thanks all.

3 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Was that a 6.5X47 die that skimmed the neck?

Yes Dave it was.i did about 190 before I notice all the brass trimmings on the press because I didn't have my glasses on 😂😆.

Partly my fault but I didn't make the die....

Lapua brass

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

Hi mate,

That was a very good shout, I hadn’t thought of mic’ing the button. It was indeed a 7mm button. 

Ive had a response from Whidden who were deeply apologetic - just a small mistake when someone put the button in the box. 

As i don’t use the buttons anyway (my mistake the 1st time!) it doesn’t matter to me. Just one of those things. 

Thanks all.

Glad your sorted. 👍

8 hours ago, No i deer said:

Yes Dave it was.i did about 190 before I notice all the brass trimmings on the press because I didn't have my glasses on 😂😆.

Partly my fault but I didn't make the die....

Lapua brass

I have had a similar issue with the same equipment. Not every case though. 

I didn't really get to the bottom of the problem,the die i had skimmed brass off every neck. Forsters customer service was really good,Hannams were just unlucky to be the stockist. They were still helpful and quickly sorted things out with forster and me.

The neck wall on your brass maybe fraction too thick by the sounds of what's happening too you,the tolerances are so tight.

Expand yours and neck turn them for uniformity and only take off the high spots 👍