7mm 180gr ELDM load

No i deer

Anybody using these bullets in there 284. 

I've been testing them and I am struggling to get them shooting, a mate has and they shoot very well.

The barrels are the same bartlein.

There throated identical by the same Smith. They fired around the same amount, They even measure with 3 thousanths touching the lands base to ogive.

I've loaded them exactly as he has in his 284 and they were ok but not brilliant. I've dropped the powder weight twice as they were a tad warm.

I had high hopes for these bullets but it's annoying me now.

I am curious if others can get them to shoot or not. If you have what primer,powder and jump do they like....?

Cheers No I deer 

Justin and my bartlein are the same 1 in 9's. The 184gr hybrids I am currently using are way longer than the 180gr ELDM's and its stabilising them fine.

This was my first test group off the SEB neo but the rear I was using was not a good fit. This load was a tad warm on 55.7grs of N160,faint ejector marks and a firm bolt,I've tried them on 55.4grs and 55grs the weekend that were not improvement only 2 out of the 8 cases had very faint ejector marks. If N160 works in Justin's load I hoped it would work in mine,it's definately faster than when I tried some 6 months ago on N165,over 100fps, I've got a little bit on RS60 left I might try,I've always like hornaday bullets and so far the only ones ive tried that are not working strait away

20190317_194818.jpg

Yes Justin did measure it himself.

I asked who the gunsmith who fitted the barrel and I was told 1 in 9, that could be wrong but I wouldn't expect it too be.

This was going to be the deciding factor on the twist rate for my rebarrel as I was kind of expected it to be faster than 1 in 9.

On the ELDM box it says for 1 in 8 but it I the same on the 162gr amaxs box and they shoot great.

The 184gr hybrids shoot great in my 1 in 9 twist when I steer them properly but this twist rate is marginal apparently for the 184.

I didn't want to get a 1 in 9 rebarrel and find the 184s don't shoot aswell in it.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a 1 in 8.25 twist.

Your one of the experts on this subject, maybe you could help me decide...?

6 hours ago, No i deer said:

Yes Justin did measure it himself.

I asked who the gunsmith who fitted the barrel and I was told 1 in 9, that could be wrong but I wouldn't expect it too be.

This was going to be the deciding factor on the twist rate for my rebarrel as I was kind of expected it to be faster than 1 in 9.

On the ELDM box it says for 1 in 8 but it I the same on the 162gr amaxs box and they shoot great.

The 184gr hybrids shoot great in my 1 in 9 twist when I steer them properly but this twist rate is marginal apparently for the 184.

I didn't want to get a 1 in 9 rebarrel and find the 184s don't shoot aswell in it.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get a 1 in 8.25 twist.

Your one of the experts on this subject, maybe you could help me decide...?

you would be mad not to get a 1-8.25.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, justin credible said:

Neil, 

Don’t forget that I am running molyed bullets so that is possibly why I am not getting pressure signs but you are. 

My next barrel will be a 1 in 8 btw.

Yes mate I downloaded mine on the basis your running on moly, not knowing how much was a guestimate.

0.7grs down from first test group and still 2 faint ejector marks out of 8 shots.the moly coating must need nion 1gr less powder on naked bullets.

Maybe one more group using 54.7grs of N160 may prove stunning and back too around 2800fps but still faster than N165 by 75fps, mine bartlein is 26 inch

Archived